BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > California M2 Competition Thread

01-24-2024, 01:52 AM   #23
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Welcome to the forums and glad you’re enjoying the car!! It’s always surprising to see new owners because I can’t fathom someone ever selling this car! (kidding).

Keep us updated!
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2024, 10:27 PM   #24
BigJsmall2c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2c

That is awesome. Rain kinda freaks me out. Lol. Saw an event at Laguna March 2nd. Thinking hard about signing up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 09:18 AM   #25
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtruk27 View Post
Hello Inuyasha,

I've road race tracked: Honda NT650, Honda CBR600F2, Yamaha R6, 2x Suzuki GSX-R1000R, Honda RC51, BMW S1000RR

I've dirt raced: Honda CRF250R, CRF450R, XR650R, Kawasaki KX250, and kinda sorta CRF1000L.
Very cool

You must be fast. I currently have a 01 sv650 and a 09 R6. I just do TD these days.
Back in the day was a 89 Fzr400/90 600 novice racer. I had a whole mess of other bikes inbetween.

Congrats on the car, its a wonderful machine and track tool
Its too bad we cant drag knees n elbows
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 11:17 AM   #26
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6-Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
Very cool

You must be fast. I currently have a 01 sv650 and a 09 R6. I just do TD these days.
Back in the day was a 89 Fzr400/90 600 novice racer. I had a whole mess of other bikes inbetween.

Congrats on the car, its a wonderful machine and track tool
Its too bad we cant drag knees n elbows
Hello Inuyasha. There may have been a period of time where I was quick on a motorcycle. I still have a lot of fun out there but I'm not winning anything anymore. I love SV650's. Great bikes.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 11:21 AM   #27
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It was fun meeting and hanging out with you too! Looking forward to the next event we can hang out again (probably Sonoma?). I hope you get some cool insights from the lead/follow videos we got of you!

Psh, you could've been there too, but nooooo you just had to go to Cabo with nice sunny weather instead of the cold, wind, and rain at Thunderhill. Where are your priorities?
The lead/follow videos are great. I can see the differences between your lines and the lines my instructor recommended. I think the car performs better and "wants" to be on the lines you selected. My car looks to have more body role than yours. Maybe I need to look into some camber plates and a front anti-sway bar. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 11:40 AM   #28
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Welcome. The F87 is so much fun on track. In car instruction and some great lead follow go a long way to dialing in the line. Seat time is everything. Enjoy it and share some video in the Track Video Catchall thread in the track subforum.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:22 PM   #29
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

Hey All. I'm enjoying learning this modern M2C. I went to a great track day with Audi Club a few weekends ago and enjoyed driving in the wet. I slowly built up speed and confidence and was finding 7,400 RPM a few times before shifting. As you know I'm a old schooler. With my motorcycles and previously owned Honda S2000 I would check the oil via the dipstick after each hard run track session. With this S55 engine there doesn't seem to be a dipstick. So I checked the oil status via the iDrive menu after each track session. It reported OK every time. How trustworthy do you all find the electronic oil level reporting for track day use?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:36 AM   #30
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

https://www.bimmerworld.com/GT4-Engi...t-F8X-S55.html - add a dipstick

Last edited by OG Shark; 02-08-2024 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 11:26 AM   #31
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Does anyone know specifically what the level is that triggers the low-oil warning (i.e. 0.5 or 1 liter low)?
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 09:51 PM   #32
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

Hello All. I had my second track driving experience in my M2C last Saturday. I drove my M2C at Thunderhill 2 Mile on Saturday. Turn8 was the organizing group. The track was hot at 9:00 AM and ran until 3:00 PM with no breaks. I consumed 2 full tanks of fuel. I drove 200 miles "on the track". That's roughly 100 laps. I was exhausted by the end of the day. But had a wonderful smile on my face. And my tires are done. I convinced myself I need to invest in tires, chassis, and handling components before I even consider increasing my horsepower. The car has plenty of power for me at this stage. So camber plates and sticky tires are the first items on the list. Maybe a front anti-sway bar.

Unfortunately, as I was coming up on two slower cars in front of me, one spun off the track and kicked a lot of dirt and rocks back onto the racing surface. The second car went through the rocks and dirt and peppered the front of my car. One of the rocks of course hit my windshield and cracked it. Low on the passenger side but approximately 14" in length and it runs to the edge of the windshield glass.

Anyone know what the success rate is for replacing a front windshield in an M2C? Should I go BMW glass? Or try Safelite?

Even though I had the windshield damage I very much enjoyed driving my M2C on the tighter more technical layout of the 2 Mile THill course. The outside edges of my front tires are shredded and there is a quarter size chunk missing from the passenger side. The rear tires are completely torched too. Very enjoyable car. I'm happy with my recent purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:58 PM   #33
rogeroger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235i, 2002

[QUOTE=kurtruk27;30904671]

Anyone know what the success rate is for replacing a front windshield in an M2C? Should I go BMW glass? Or try Safelite?

I replaced my front windshield recently with no issues. Went with a local, independent shop with good reviews online. The glass options I had were OEM, Pilkington, or Fuyao. The OEM and Pilkington would have to be ordered, the Fuyao was in stock. I’ve read online that both Pilk and Fuyao produce OEM glass for BMW.

OEM would have cost 800. The Fuyao ended up being 500. I’m fine with the glass. It’s clear, no distortion. Sensors are working fine.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 11:16 PM   #34
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=rogeroger;30904782]
Quote:

I relaced my front windshield recently with no issues. Went with a local, independent shop with good reviews online. The glass options I had were OEM, Pilkington, or Fuyao. The OEM and Pilkington would have to be ordered, the Fuyao was in stock. I’ve read online that both Pilk and Fuyao produce OEM glass for BMW.

OEM would have cost 800. The Fuyao ended up being 500. I’m fine with the glass. It’s clear, no distortion. Sensors are working fine.
Excellent and valuable feedback. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:42 AM   #35
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Hello All. I had my second track driving experience in my M2C last Saturday. I drove my M2C at Thunderhill 2 Mile on Saturday. Turn8 was the organizing group. The track was hot at 9:00 AM and ran until 3:00 PM with no breaks. I consumed 2 full tanks of fuel. I drove 200 miles "on the track". That's roughly 100 laps. I was exhausted by the end of the day. But had a wonderful smile on my face. And my tires are done. I convinced myself I need to invest in tires, chassis, and handling components before I even consider increasing my horsepower. The car has plenty of power for me at this stage. So camber plates and sticky tires are the first items on the list. Maybe a front anti-sway bar.

Unfortunately, as I was coming up on two slower cars in front of me, one spun off the track and kicked a lot of dirt and rocks back onto the racing surface. The second car went through the rocks and dirt and peppered the front of my car. One of the rocks of course hit my windshield and cracked it. Low on the passenger side but approximately 14" in length and it runs to the edge of the windshield glass.

Even though I had the windshield damage I very much enjoyed driving my M2C on the tighter more technical layout of the 2 Mile THill course. The outside edges of my front tires are shredded and there is a quarter size chunk missing from the passenger side. The rear tires are completely torched too. Very enjoyable car. I'm happy with my recent purchase.
Glad you had a blast! I'm very surprised you only went through 2 tanks of fuel!

Windshield PN is 51317273823 and OE glass is only like $325, so no real reason to use aftermarket. I'd see if your local dealer will match BMWPartsWarehouse.com, which is BMW of San Francisco's parts site.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2024, 12:20 PM   #36
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Glad you had a blast! I'm very surprised you only went through 2 tanks of fuel!

Windshield PN is 51317273823 and OE glass is only like $325, so no real reason to use aftermarket. I'd see if your local dealer will match BMWPartsWarehouse.com, which is BMW of San Francisco's parts site.
Excellent! Thank you for the PN and part warehouse tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 12:25 PM   #37
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You got lucky with those tires, should have wrapped it up sooner - sounds like a little more time and you might have had real problems. It is good to develop the habit of doing a walkabout to check brakes, tires, no puddles/smoke, etc. several times during the day - before sessions if you are at a segmented school, or during breaks if it is a full day open track. For tires, I'd avoid moving up to 'stickier' until you have a few seasons of experience; camber plates are certainly going to help with the wear. I'm finding that the Conti Extremes (200tw) are wearing much better than the MP4S or Conti street contacts, and still behave like a street tire. And you'll really benefit from a school that provides in-car instruction.
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2024, 03:37 PM   #38
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

You know this stuff is fun when you read a report like that and it still includes “Very enjoyable car. I'm happy with my recent purchase.”
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 06:18 AM   #39
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

congrats OP on the purchase and glad you are happy with the M2C, one of my all time faves

not to derail the thread, but as someone who hasn't ever even tracked a car, but only limited experience with go karts, I always wondered if tracking a car is more like playing a sport and less about enjoying the car

it seems to me that when you are going so fast and at the limits of the car, you are not in a position to sit there and contemplate and appreciate the finer points of the car, rather you are in the moment driving your car to the limit

so to me tracking is more like playing a sport than enjoying the finer points of the car, like engine sound, a nice manual, the fun of playful handling

for the trackers in this thread, does this make sense? or is it more like a mix of both, enjoying the car and playing a sport at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:07 AM   #40
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
congrats OP on the purchase and glad you are happy with the M2C, one of my all time faves

not to derail the thread, but as someone who hasn't ever even tracked a car, but only limited experience with go karts, I always wondered if tracking a car is more like playing a sport and less about enjoying the car

it seems to me that when you are going so fast and at the limits of the car, you are not in a position to sit there and contemplate and appreciate the finer points of the car, rather you are in the moment driving your car to the limit

so to me tracking is more like playing a sport than enjoying the finer points of the car, like engine sound, a nice manual, the fun of playful handling

for the trackers in this thread, does this make sense? or is it more like a mix of both, enjoying the car and playing a sport at the same time?
Spirited driving : tracking is like playing catch with your kid : being in a real tough game

An entirely different way to enjoy the car, you owe it to yourself to try it.
Appreciate 3
jefe2000739.50
baege1334.00
      02-17-2024, 07:25 PM   #41
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exploring the car when it’s truly at the limit on track opens up access to “character” of the car you simply can’t experience on public roads. Period. Not like, if you’re sane and don’t want to kill yourself and others on public roads. Like, at all. It’s not even close. They’re worlds apart. So you get this special access and connection to something that’s kind of hidden in plane sight with these cars that’s only accessible to those willing to risk the car and push themselves beyond the comfort zone.

And while you’re conscious of the vehicle dynamics you’re enjoying at the limit, you’re also singularly focused on what you’re doing so for people with incessantly active minds it brings a quietness that is typically only found in other high risk activities like advanced alpine skiing or flying planes. You can have the most stressful job/life in the world but when you’re balancing the car on the edge, it’s all gone. If only for a moment.
Appreciate 3
Maynard3848.00
baege1334.00
      02-17-2024, 08:34 PM   #42
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

For me it is yes, no, and both. There are times when its just about me and the car - just enjoying everything it has to offer and being all about the moment. The overall experience is what it is all about at that time - the sounds, the feel, everything happening around you as you strive to push the car towards it's potential. You are there for you and you alone - nothing else matter's while in the car on the track except you and car (insert Vin Diesel 10 seconds or less quote...). At times your mind just zones out and that's all there is happening. Other times I'll crank the music to 11 and haul ass around the track butchering lyrics at the top of my lungs with the biggest grin on my face. Different feels but both are just all about me and the car. Here it is not like a sport at all - its 100% the experience and one heck of a way to recharge your batteries.

I am rather competitive though too - and yes it can very much be a sport. Get into competition events like time trials or wheel to wheel and then that competitive itch that "traditional" sports used to scratch for me can now hit hard. I lost being able to compete at even rec level sports for the most part a couple decades ago after wrecking one of my knees and when I discovered competition on the track it brought all that I loved about sports back to me. Sure I will get a bit competitive during hpde/track days but that's really just bragging rights about basically the equivalent of who can have a wank the fastest... Once you start getting into timed or wheel to wheel events though the sports similarity immediately hits. It can still be about the experience quite a bit - I love racing in my E92 M3s for the pure experience of ringing those out. But the sport aspect is now very much a part of it. When wheel to wheel it takes that even further.

The main thing is being able to push a car to its limit in a proper environment is absolutely amazing. If you haven't tried it you have no idea what it is like - it cannot be replicated in video or conversation. Every passenger that I take on their first track laps are shocked. After they stop throwing up they pretty much say the same thing - I had no idea...
Appreciate 1
baege1334.00
      02-24-2024, 04:29 PM   #43
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

I spent the morning at an open house of Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley. I met Terry and Curly. Solid buys. Solid business. I was impressed by the knowledge of Terry and Curly and by the cleanliness and organization of the shop. I look forward to working with them for track setup alignment on my M2C.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:37 AM   #44
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep

Hello All,

I was watching a Chris Harris video about his M2C and I saw an image of his gauges flash across the screen with a different display than what I've seen on M2C. I paused the video and took a screenshot attached here with the red circle. Have any of you seen this display instead of the engine and steering settings?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0