BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Best engine oils

10-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #243
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
I have VW also in garage, with EA888 engine, and regardless that I do have 15qt of M1 0W40FS on the shelf, I run M1 ESP 0W30 with VW504.00/507.00 approval.
European ea888 without opf do not accumulate carbon, they have injectors in the intake manifold.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      10-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #244
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Quote:
I have VW also in garage, with EA888 engine, and regardless that I do have 15qt of M1 0W40FS on the shelf, I run M1 ESP 0W30 with VW504.00/507.00 approval.
European ea888 without opf do not accumulate carbon, they have injectors in the intake manifold.
I live in the US for 17 years.
Also, that is third generation EA888. 1st and 2nd generation also have less CBU in Europe but that is due to leaner burn as NOx requirements were not as stringent as here back then.
And engine in this case is in 2011 Tiguan.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
F87source7251.50
      10-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #245
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Also, that is third generation EA888. 1st and 2nd generation also have less CBU in Europe but that is due to leaner burn as NOx requirements were not as stringent as here back then.
No tfsi has impressed me with its ducts and valves, all are sad except the gen 3 with injectors in intake, I want to see a gen3 opf.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #246
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
You should find someone who knows to install that cover. It is ok to admit that you need help doing it.
:lol
      10-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #247
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No tfsi has impressed me with its ducts and valves, all are sad except the gen 3 with injectors in intake, I want to see a gen3 opf.
We are talking engine that was introduced in EU in 2009, so 13 years ago.
Those engines are not the problem. Problem are Honda or Subaru engines that in 2022 have same problems like VW in 2003.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      10-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #248
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Of course, the valves of diesel & s55 engines are made of ice...
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      10-19-2022, 02:17 AM   #249
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Those engines are not the problem. Problem are Honda or Subaru engines that in 2022 have same problems like VW in 2003.
I think that even vw should have solved the problem since over the years they have been solving various problems, for example when the BKD engine came out with cylinder head problems, they made 2 different versions and the last one had no problems, or the wear on the camfollower of the first tfsi, later they modified to roller, they also have unresolved problems such as premature wear on the camshafts of the 1.9tdi PD, the oil pumps of the 2.0tdi PD, wastegate rattle on ea888 gen2 chain stretching.

I guess they don't care too much about carbon buildup if after so many years they can't solve it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 02:50 AM   #250
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think that even vw should have solved the problem since over the years they have been solving various problems, for example when the BKD engine came out with cylinder head problems, they made 2 different versions and the last one had no problems, or the wear on the camfollower of the first tfsi, later they modified to roller, they also have unresolved problems such as premature wear on the camshafts of the 1.9tdi PD, the oil pumps of the 2.0tdi PD, wastegate rattle on ea888 gen2 chain stretching.

I guess they don't care too much about carbon buildup if after so many years they can't solve it.
My brother and I have business in Europe. 1.9tdi we used in numerous fleet vehicles were rock solid, some hitting 500,000km in delivery vehicles. Of all delivery vehicles we used, and we used all kind, VW were always most reliable. This is in diesel applications. Numerous police departments are using Skoda Octavia 1.9 and 2.0tdi in Europe, especially UK.
Last few years is bit different with LNG being very popular and diesel hybrids hitting market.
VW today is very confusing company due to dieselgate consequences. Their strategy is all over the place. They have several hybrid options in Europe that are top notch, yet keeping them away from US market. And hybrid in the US market is absolute top hitter. I just found out that I have to wait probably 12 more months for new Sienna I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 03:24 AM   #251
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:

It could be because they don't want to have to warranty all the engines that have this issue.

For example the sti engine (Ej257) blows up even stock due to ring land failure (pistons are super brittle and combined with a super crappy factory tune that knocks alot and runs really lean to meet emissions targets and poor cooling to the 4th cylinder, causes the pistons to be beaten up alot), and this is so common that if you try and message an owner selling a used sti chances are they've had the engine replaced under warranty.

And this has happened for like 20 years now since the EJ engines are extremely old, and subaru hasn't done anything to fix it until the last year or so where they introduced a new piston material. People suspect that subaru hasn't changed anything because if they did, they would be admitting guilt and would therefore have to recall all the old engines which would be a massive under taking. So it would be cheaper to replace blown motors rather than do a recall. So it could be that VW is pulling that same strategy, who really knows.
      10-19-2022, 07:58 AM   #252
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

hate VW, so I'm not going to defend them here - garbage cars and engines. Maybe the TDI's were solid, but good luck finding one.
      10-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #253
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
My brother and I have business in Europe. 1.9tdi we used in numerous fleet vehicles were rock solid, some hitting 500,000km in delivery vehicles. Of all delivery vehicles we used, and we used all kind, VW were always most reliable. This is in diesel applications. Numerous police departments are using Skoda Octavia 1.9 and 2.0tdi in Europe, especially UK.
Last few years is bit different with LNG being very popular and diesel hybrids hitting market.
VW today is very confusing company due to dieselgate consequences. Their strategy is all over the place. They have several hybrid options in Europe that are top notch, yet keeping them away from US market. And hybrid in the US market is absolute top hitter. I just found out that I have to wait probably 12 more months for new Sienna I ordered.
Yes the 1.9tdi are hard as rocks except the camshaft wear on the PD, I had more than 10 1.9tdi, the most durable is the 1.9tdi 90hp, there is no engine that can cope with it.

The 2.0tdi common rail are also rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
It could be because they don't want to have to warranty all the engines that have this issue.

For example the sti engine (Ej257) blows up even stock due to ring land failure (pistons are super brittle and combined with a super crappy factory tune that knocks alot and runs really lean to meet emissions targets and poor cooling to the 4th cylinder, causes the pistons to be beaten up alot), and this is so common that if you try and message an owner selling a used sti chances are they've had the engine replaced under warranty.

And this has happened for like 20 years now since the EJ engines are extremely old, and subaru hasn't done anything to fix it until the last year or so where they introduced a new piston material. People suspect that subaru hasn't changed anything because if they did, they would be admitting guilt and would therefore have to recall all the old engines which would be a massive under taking. So it would be cheaper to replace blown motors rather than do a recall. So it could be that VW is pulling that same strategy, who really knows.
I never understood Subaru's policy, they have had the same engines and turbos for 30 years, they have not evolved at all, the last impreza has a turbo from 10 or more years ago, to get +100hp from a subaru you have to sweat a lot, compared to vw is like night and day, vw is constantly innovating, improving, updating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
hate VW, so I'm not going to defend them here - garbage cars and engines. Maybe the TDI's were solid, but good luck finding one.
Why are you so mad at vw?
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      10-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #254
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I have this one for 10yrs. Had $5 resistor failure. I did preventively replaced chain tensioner. Easier than master cylinder on Toyota Sienna
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      10-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #255
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I never understood Subaru's policy, they have had the same engines and turbos for 30 years, they have not evolved at all, the last impreza has a turbo from 10 or more years ago, to get +100hp from a subaru you have to sweat a lot, compared to vw is like night and day, vw is constantly innovating, improving, updating....
I absolutely agree, for so long the EJ's were unreliable, fuel wasting garbage motors and I have no idea why subaru never thought it was ok to keep using them for this long. It has improved now that the FA series engines are out.

Yeah, making any kind of power on an sti was a nightmare, you had to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to try and make the engine reliable, and after that you would have to build the motor if you even wanted an extra 100 awhp reliably. But the benefit of starting on a subaru platform is you learn how to do things properly, i.e do supporting mods first and get the proper tune to support your mods. This is because the engines are so fragile if you screw up they are gone, whereas with bmw's being so strong it teaches bad practices of shooting for big power first and not doing supporting mods first.

But either way I think subaru should have fixed their engines a long time ago.
edycol1501.50
      10-20-2022, 01:58 AM   #256
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I absolutely agree, for so long the EJ's were unreliable, fuel wasting garbage motors and I have no idea why subaru never thought it was ok to keep using them for this long. It has improved now that the FA series engines are out.

Yeah, making any kind of power on an sti was a nightmare, you had to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to try and make the engine reliable, and after that you would have to build the motor if you even wanted an extra 100 awhp reliably. But the benefit of starting on a subaru platform is you learn how to do things properly, i.e do supporting mods first and get the proper tune to support your mods. This is because the engines are so fragile if you screw up they are gone, whereas with bmw's being so strong it teaches bad practices of shooting for big power first and not doing supporting mods first.

But either way I think subaru should have fixed their engines a long time ago.
You are right on target.
Xxxxxxx topics: "I bought 335, has 136,000 miles, who is must have tuner."

But, when I track car, 8 out of 10 cars are BMW. It is for a reason.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      10-20-2022, 02:05 AM   #257
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You are right on target.

Or my favorite, 'how to get 400 whp for as cheap as possible" or "do I really need this reliability mod or can I just skip it". Then you hear them cry when the engine blew up.
edycol1501.50
shaneguags1192.50
KevM2723.50
      10-20-2022, 01:31 PM   #258
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are right on target.

Or my favorite, 'how to get 400 whp for as cheap as possible" or "do I really need this reliability mod or can I just skip it". Then you hear them cry when the engine blew up.
Lol. They ask about whp, one tells them house is built from foundation, answer: I don't need anyone to pontificate. I asked specific question.

2 months later: this POS just died on me.
Appreciate 3
F87source7251.50
KevM2723.50
      10-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #259
Track/S
Major
Rep

I just came across with this oil: extreme amg vr 0w40 gtr.
Pao 70%
Ester 10%
Mo 200ppm
HTHS 4.5

I'm going to fill the garage with a thousand types of oil....

Last edited by Track/S; 10-22-2022 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #260
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just came across with this oil: extreme amg vr 0w40 gtr.
Pao 70%
Ester 10%
Mo 200ppm

I'm going to fill the garage with a thousand types of oil....
Do you have a link?

It is always good to have choices.
      10-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #261
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link?

It's in Russian, I guess you can translate

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/4...-gtr-new-2021/

The user BONKER is the cook of that oil.

It is curious because the first version contained less MO, the users asked for the increase to 200ppm and it did so.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #262
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a link?

It's in Russian, I guess you can translate

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/46135-extreme-amg-vr2-0w-40-gtr-new-2021/

The user BONKER is the cook of that oil.

It is curious because the first version contained less MO, the users asked for the increase to 200ppm and it did so.
I would stay away.
PAO or esters itself don't mean much unless you cook it properly. What kind of polymers are used? Chain or star? You don't know that unless some super expensive analysis or blender tells you. Also, just bcs. there is 70% of PAO and 10% ester doesn't mean it is good. That screams oxidation unless properly balanced with Group III.
AMG or GT-R are filled with Mobil1 0W40. If there was need for something more, trust me, Mobil1 would be able to cook it in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 04:16 PM   #263
Track/S
Major
Rep

The "problem" with amsoil was that it had little pao and now it turns out that a lot of pao is not good if it is not cooked well....
Before you also said that amsoil did not have the money to approval ll01 A40 507/504, and it turns out that amsoil has this 0w40 which is only sold in the European market:

Amsoil Extreme Power 0W-40 Motor Oil (API SN, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB-229.5, Porsche A40, RN 0710/0700, VW 502.00/505.00)

What is the price of the amsoil 0w40 and the M1 fs 0w40 in US?

Last edited by Track/S; 10-23-2022 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #264
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
The "problem" with amsoil was that it had little pao and now it turns out that a lot of pao is not good if it is not cooked well....
Before you also said that amsoil did not have the money to approval ll01 A40 507/504, and it turns out that amsoil has this 0w40 which is only sold in the European market:

Amsoil Extreme Power 0W-40 Motor Oil (API SN, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB-229.5, Porsche A40, RN 0710/0700, VW 502.00/505.00)

What is the price of the amsoil 0w40 and the M1 fs 0w40 in US?
If you go back you will see that I said that getting approval is cheap, not that Amsoil didn't have money. Please, don't lie!

Yes, cooking oil is MUCH more important than % of "something " in oil. You can go and buy 70% of PAO, 10% of Esters and God knows what, blend it and voilà, there you have it.
It doesn't work that way.
Appreciate 0