BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Awron Gauge Blocking DME read-out?

04-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #1
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Awron Gauge Blocking DME read-out?

Hi, I have an Akra catless downpipe and an Awron Gauge with delete-r function on my car. I've had several occasions where I am in the Sport+ mode, reving up to 6000rpm in the 5th and 6th gear and the car throws an error code limiting the powertrain, but still allowing me to drive.

I can get rid of it by restarting the car, but I wanted to know what it was that caused it.

Plugged the BMW OEM diagnostic comp and it just shows unable to read from the DME; even when I turned off the delete-r function in the Awron Gauge.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
DragonGate
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 15' X5M & 17' M2

Yes Awron uses the obd2 interface then that will block any access to read via OBD2 (Disconnect and try again)
      04-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexxon View Post
Hi, I have an Akra catless downpipe and an Awron Gauge with delete-r function on my car. I've had several occasions where I am in the Sport+ mode, reving up to 6000rpm in the 5th and 6th gear and the car throws an error code limiting the powertrain, but still allowing me to drive.

I can get rid of it by restarting the car, but I wanted to know what it was that caused it.

Plugged the BMW OEM diagnostic comp and it just shows unable to read from the DME; even when I turned off the delete-r function in the Awron Gauge.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Are you going wot in in 5th and 6th without downshifting? if so it could just be a boost spike causing it to go into limp mode due to the free flowing exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2s63tu View Post
Yes Awron uses the obd2 interface then that will block any access to read via OBD2 (Disconnect and try again)
What do you mean awron uses the obd2 interface? It connects directly into the canbus and it does not interfere with the obd-2 in any way. It actually goes into service mode if you plug in anything from my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
Are you going wot in in 5th and 6th without downshifting? if so it could just be a boost spike causing it to go into limp mode due to the free flowing exhaust.
Just full throttle without downshifting. Shouldn't the delete-r remove CEL with regards to an un-cat downpipe? That's the whole point of the delete-r function no?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2s63tu View Post
Disconnect AWRON and hook up the diagnostic comp?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

I am also using Awron on my M2. Awron does not uses odb2 interface, instead it is connected to CAN buses and also connected to a line, whereas Awron can detect if you can plug something in ODB2 interface. Once you plugged in, it goes SERVICES mode automatically.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Well that's weird because the BMW diagnostic comp is not able to read from the DME and the only electrical related mod that I have done is the Awron gauge... if the Gauge was installed incorrectly, it wouldn't have all the data displayed or be able to control the valve right?

So I am guessing it's not the installation... do I need to switch the display to the Awron Logo page?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:00 AM   #9
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Interesting! Let me comment to this...

First of all, your Awron display might not be well installed, because I have exactly the same set up as you (only downpipe with cat right now) and we can read the car without any issues.

I had two different BMW computers connected to my car and both can read my car without issues. Double check with your installer, remove the connection of the display and try it again. If it then works, the installer made a mistake installing the display.

Secondly, the limp mode coming up, I have exactly the same thing. My messages in the computer are related to overboost. There is too much boost presented and therefore the car goes into limp mode. Limp mode has nothing to do with the CEL messages that the delete-r removes. Your car is overboosting and that is why it might give the messages.

In my case I get limp mode messages when I drive between 210 and 260 kmh. Because I am in such high revs and gear, the message pops up. I have not heard about your case that when you rev in high gear it comes up but it could be related.

Please keep me informed. If your issue is similar to mine, then please let me know and we will use both our data in the direction of Akrapovic. Now that the sun is back here, I can do a few high speed runs.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Interesting! Let me comment to this...

First of all, your Awron display might not be well installed, because I have exactly the same set up as you (only downpipe with cat right now) and we can read the car without any issues.

I had two different BMW computers connected to my car and both can read my car without issues. Double check with your installer, remove the connection of the display and try it again. If it then works, the installer made a mistake installing the display.

Secondly, the limp mode coming up, I have exactly the same thing. My messages in the computer are related to overboost. There is too much boost presented and therefore the car goes into limp mode. Limp mode has nothing to do with the CEL messages that the delete-r removes. Your car is overboosting and that is why it might give the messages.

In my case I get limp mode messages when I drive between 210 and 260 kmh. Because I am in such high revs and gear, the message pops up. I have not heard about your case that when you rev in high gear it comes up but it could be related.

Please keep me informed. If your issue is similar to mine, then please let me know and we will use both our data in the direction of Akrapovic. Now that the sun is back here, I can do a few high speed runs.

MR
Thank you MR, I am in the same situation with regards to the car going into limp mode. High rev in high gears. The error message pops up, but friend at BMW says that's a generic error message and need to read the DME to find out.

I think it might be the installation problem, but I am rather curious as how the gauge is able to display properly with maybe a wrong installation?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:01 AM   #11
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you MR, I am in the same situation with regards to the car going into limp mode. High rev in high gears. The error message pops up, but friend at BMW says that's a generic error message and need to read the DME to find out.

I think it might be the installation problem, but I am rather curious as how the gauge is able to display properly with maybe a wrong installation?
It is an interesting thing as well. Best thing is to remove it and try it again, it could be something got damaged during the installation and it is not the connection of the display itself but something else.

Please do me a favor as soon as you have the error messages from the car let me know what it was and make photos of it. I have feeling you have the same as I do, and Akrapovic is saying they do not have the problem on their cars. More cars in my case is a good thing and let's me make a bigger case.

I already offered my car for testing so that they can check why it is doing this. I will also retry this month and see what the issue is, and if I can reproduce it again.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It is an interesting thing as well. Best thing is to remove it and try it again, it could be something got damaged during the installation and it is not the connection of the display itself but something else.

Please do me a favor as soon as you have the error messages from the car let me know what it was and make photos of it. I have feeling you have the same as I do, and Akrapovic is saying they do not have the problem on their cars. More cars in my case is a good thing and let's me make a bigger case.

I already offered my car for testing so that they can check why it is doing this. I will also retry this month and see what the issue is, and if I can reproduce it again.

MR
Certainly, I will unplug Awron next week and see if the diagnostic comp is able to get the error code and let's see what it is. Well the only performance mod that I have done to the car is the catless Akra downpipe and their full exhaust system.

At the same time I hope nothing was damaged during the Awron installation...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Certainly, I will unplug Awron next week and see if the diagnostic comp is able to get the error code and let's see what it is. Well the only performance mod that I have done to the car is the catless Akra downpipe and their full exhaust system.

Thanks!
I have the catless downpipe laying around to be fitted. Just did not have the time for it. Since the Competition is so late, I will install the catless downpipe later this year and drive with it during 2018.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah its easy to overboost with a catless downpipe on a high gear if going WOT. That is the reason you are getting the limp mode, the car spends too much time overboosting so it thinks there is something wrong and just goes into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #15
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
Yeah its easy to overboost with a catless downpipe on a high gear if going WOT. That is the reason you are getting the limp mode, the car spends too much time overboosting so it thinks there is something wrong and just goes into limp mode.
But I even have it with a downpipe with cat so I am not sure if that is the only explanation...

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #16
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks!
Acexxon, I have an update for you on the limb mode problem:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post21626632

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
Acexxon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Acexxon, I have an update for you on the limb mode problem:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post21626632

MR
Thank you MR, and I figured out it was a bad installation that caused the Awron Gauge not able to go into service mode.

I haven't had the chance to try and light up the CEL warning, maybe I'll try to floor it again this weekend.

I'll let you know if it comes up again.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0