BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bought one of the last PRE LCI M2's

05-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovairdf87 View Post
Pre-LCI is not a bonus for car collecting, almost every iteration of modern cars LCI version is worth more.

98-99 M3 is worth much more than 96-97

05-06 M3 is worth much more than an 00-04

08 M3 is worth much much less than an 09-10 - and 11+ worth more again

Same with the Z3M in coupe and roadster form.

Same with the 135i LCI, 335i LCI, etc etc etc
I agree, however, 97 M3 is LCI, 96 is pre-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
It will be with this, as it's the first ever M2. No generation before it. The other cars were not the first cars in they're bloodline.

Each to they're own.
It's not the first ever. M2 is a success to the 1 series M Coupe. Just because the name was changed, doesn't mean it's not the same model. Or are you saying that the current M4 is going to be as collectible as the E30 M3 since it's the "first M4"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurge View Post
Extremely wishful thinking by the OP. Not trying to be negative, but the M2 is not going up in value. OP should sell ASAP.
There’s nothing special about the “first M2”, LOL. It’s a mass produced car. With a non-M engine.
IF the M2C is produced for only 1 year, then MAYBE the C will go up in value, IF it’s original and has low miles.

An automatic M2 is only going down in value.

Drive and enjoy it. Don’t buy to flip it, really dumb idea. Especially with the Competition out which is a “full” M car.
Absolutely, it's like investing in the unregistered 1998 US-spec M Roadster when 2001 model is about to hit the sales floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #24
HawaiiG80Green
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Interesting way to invest money.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #25
SCALECRAFT
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby Gt 500/

I've been looking at the M2, but just can't pull the trigger on one.

Looks like everyone is trying to find the next 2006 Ford GT. Not too many newer cars can do what the GT has done in a short period of time.

I'll bet the Alpha Romeo Giulia 2018 V6 is a better "investment" now that the bugs are fixed.

Although I invest in real estate and stocks and drive my performance cars on tracks mostly.

But good luck with what you are trying.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #26
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

How long do you expect to keep it to appreciate in value?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurge View Post
Extremely wishful thinking by the OP. Not trying to be negative, but the M2 is not going up in value. OP should sell ASAP.
There's nothing special about the "first M2", LOL. It's a mass produced car. With a non-M engine.
IF the M2C is produced for only 1 year, then MAYBE the C will go up in value, IF it's original and has low miles.

An automatic M2 is only going down in value.

Drive and enjoy it. Don't buy to flip it, really dumb idea. Especially with the Competition out which is a "full" M car.
While you're waiting for your M2C, you should take a little time to research the history of BMW M Performance. The M2 is as much an M as any other M ever produced. They're all different, special in their own way and designed for the marketplace at a specific point in time. And remember that the S55 was available when the M2 first came out, but BMW still chose the superior N55.

I agree with you that "investing" in an M2 is probably not the highest and best use of your money. The only time you could make any money on an M2, M2C or any other highly desireable car is when it's first introduced, in the highest demand and people with more money than sense absolutely must be the first in their area to own one - or 20 years later, when your perfect, unrestored, low-miles car becomes an interesting choice at a collector car auction.
It's not superior. But that's the point. The S55 isn't superior either. These motors have tradeoffs. The N55 was chosen for the M2 because of its purity, straightforward cooling, great sound. Remember it still gets uprated components. The power falls off aggressively before redline but it just isn't that track monster. The S55 pulls all the way to redline, but presents a little more lag, and hosts a complex cooling system with a precariously placed oil cooler. These are different motors for different cars, only the N55 is now discontinued.

New and better marketed doesn't mean better. I miss my S62 dearly and I think it might be the most underrated M motor ever. Is it 'superior'? I don't know. Probably not due to not making a lot of power for displacement. But once you put the magazine down and focus on what makes you happy, suddenly the model designation, year, or badge doesn't seem to matter so much.

As for the rest of the M2, I still wish BMW gave it proper seats and mirrors. But the S55 I can do without and that is after spending time with one.

As a side note I find it comedic that the N55 is being shit on right now. Nobody seems to mind that the 1M didn't get the "superior" S65.
If the 1M got the S65 the following year it would greatly affect the perception of the n54 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #28
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

It’d be nice if all the M2C leghumpers could go shit on the OG M2 in the M2C forum. After all, that’s why the mods split us up...they knew we were incapable of playing nice in the same sandbox.

Of course, that doesn’t change the fact that buying an M2 as an investment isn’t the best idea.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #29
BMW_MSquared
Enlisted Member
Falkland Islands
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCi

As cool as it is to buy a "collector's item" car, I'd like to weigh in with my thoughts.

- Unless you're made of money, cars are meant to be driven. The M2 is not some ultra-low production run item like a Koenigsegg One:1 or [Insert other ultra-rare car here]. If you aren't driving it, you've wasted your money and opening yourself to expensive maintenance. I used to work at a Ferrari shop in San Francisco and the cars we saw with the most trouble with cars that weren't driven (fluid leaks, rotted seals, congealing fluids, etc).

- The 2016-2017 "may" get collector's status (maybe) in 25-30 years because it's the "first" M2. The 2018 "may" get collector's status because it's the only year the LCi is available with the N55 engine. The 2019 "may" get collector's status because it's the first year the S55 is available in the M2. There are WAY too many variables in the equation to predict what collectors may, or may not want in 25-30 years. Which color, which transmission, which options...you get my point.

Simply put, enjoy the car you've paid for. It's expensive by what 'most' people can afford, but it's not so expensive that you should be afraid to drive it. If you take care of it by doing regular fluid changes, scheduled maintenance, and keep it squeaky clean...you may find someone down the line willing to pay top dollar for it.

That being said, if I bought a $2M Ferrari...I'm going to get my $2M of driving out of it. I'd ride that sucker like a prize-winner at the Kentucky Derby.
Appreciate 3
flyaway140.50
kfscoll208.50
      05-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #30
bunnyhive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

if M2C turn out to be a disappointment with journalists reviews coming this summer, this plan might work, but given M2C is only 3% more expensive with a rather familiar M engine, i wouldn't expect too harsh of words even from Chris Monkey.

Last edited by bunnyhive; 05-13-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #31
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhive View Post
if M2C turn out to be a disappointment with journalists reviews coming this summer, this plan might work, but given M2C is only 3% more expensive with a rather familiar M engine, i wouldn't expect too harsh of words even from Chris Monkey.
This varies from market to market. Also you can get 2018's below MSRP and that's not going to be the case for the M2C so the price gap is going to be quite large as I wan walk into a BMW dealership and likely pay at least $8-10k less for a 2018 base what the Competition base. Hard to imagine the M2C will be a disappointment though.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #32
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhive View Post
Show me one new journalist review that isn't positive. No really. Zero journalist reviews are negative due to their reliance on manufacturer relationships. If you look at non journalists reviewers on YouTube they are much more harsh.

Don't trust reviews.
      05-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #33
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Wrong. The journalists at reputable magazines and websites are trained, knowledgeable, often licensed race drivers and get to drive and compare dozens of cars every year. You may not agree with their conclusions, especially if they diss your favorite ride, but that doesn’t change their meaured, objective facts. If a car doesn’t measure up, they’ll tell you so.

While they’re interesting, most of the amateur sites are populated by hobbyists who often have no experience in testing; they’re definitely not journalists and sometimes just hyperventilate over the fact that a manufacturer like BMW loaned them a car to drive, which colors their very subjective comments.

The best online reviews are from owners who have to live with their cars for a long time and really get to know them inside and out.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #34
HammerDahn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
I'd say LBB is the worst investment out of all the colours, the colour is the most popular of all the colours! Too many around.
Rare doesn't always mean better or more valuable . LBB is the best color for the car, its the launch color too. It's Laguna Seca Blue for this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #35
BMW_MSquared
Enlisted Member
Falkland Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
The best online reviews are from owners who have to live with their cars for a long time and really get to know them inside and out.
If I haven't already, I think I'm pretty close to watching all of the M2-related content on YouTube (research...and just enjoying the sounds of the N55). To your point, I would have to agree. There's a few folks that have a clear ownership of the car, not just "loaned" from a dealership or BMW directly. Their perspective is really what won me over (Glenn's car collection, and a couple others).

People with their minds on daily drivability (long term), reliability (because fixing an M is expensive), maintenance, and overall happiness with the car. It's great to watch all the track reviews in the world, and the cool exhaust/product mods, but I'm planning to live with this car in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDahn View Post
Rare doesn't always mean better or more valuable . LBB is the best color for the car, its the launch color too. It's Laguna Seca Blue for this car.
Perhaps...but I hate having the same thing that everyone else has. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the LBB color...but every one I've seen in person so far is either LBB or white. But when you only offer 4 colors, you're going to see lots of the same. I'm actually pretty curious as to what the sales figures are by-color. Has anyone figured that out yet?
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1194.00
krizze928.00
      05-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #36
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MSquared View Post
I'm actually pretty curious as to what the sales figures are by-color. Has anyone figured that out yet?
I don't think we'll see those until the end of production. The last time I saw any numbers, it was roughly 40% LBB and 25% White - with Black and Gray splitting up the rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #37
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Exclusivity depends on where you live.
In the 1-3/4 years I've owned the car, I've never seen another M2 on the road in central Pennsylvania even though there are 4 BMW dealers within 40 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 03:33 AM   #38
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_F90_F87 View Post
Exclusivity depends on where you live.
In the 1-3/4 years I've owned the car, I've never seen another M2 on the road in central Pennsylvania even though there are 4 BMW dealers within 40 miles.
where as i see 2 or 3 m2s weekly(probably the same people on work commute though
      05-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #39
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MSquared View Post
If I haven't already, I think I'm pretty close to watching all of the M2-related content on YouTube (research...and just enjoying the sounds of the N55). To your point, I would have to agree. There's a few folks that have a clear ownership of the car, not just "loaned" from a dealership or BMW directly. Their perspective is really what won me over (Glenn's car collection, and a couple others).

People with their minds on daily drivability (long term), reliability (because fixing an M is expensive), maintenance, and overall happiness with the car. It's great to watch all the track reviews in the world, and the cool exhaust/product mods, but I'm planning to live with this car in the real world.

Perhaps...but I hate having the same thing that everyone else has. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the LBB color...but every one I've seen in person so far is either LBB or white. But when you only offer 4 colors, you're going to see lots of the same. I'm actually pretty curious as to what the sales figures are by-color. Has anyone figured that out yet?
There may be more lbb m2s out there than other colors, but not many other cars have lbb, just x6m and individual spec cars that chose it. So I guess LBB M2s are less unique among M2s but more unique than other cars in general. MG M2 might be the most rare, but there are a million MG cars including many M3s and M4s and other brands have similar colors too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #40
supralex
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: Yes

When you compare the base price in Czech republic for any bmw it's a great deal to invest in car there and re-sell them in any other european country
base m2 models start at 49 500 €
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      05-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #41
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralex View Post
When you compare the base price in Czech republic for any bmw it's a great deal to invest in car there and re-sell them in any other european country
base m2 models start at 49 500 €
finally, somebody actually read what i wrote, as i specified it was a deal i could not say no too, the car is fully loaded and we got almost the same price as you have quoted here.

I know nothing about stock markets, so investing 50,000 euros into something i don't know is for me a bigger risk, and handing my money to an investment scheme is also a risk, because the risk outway's the reward, with this car i know i can flip it right away and make a small profit or i can keep it for a length of time and hope the value rises, or theres a fantastic 3rd option, i can keep it and drive it because i am in a fortunate position.

So maybe some of you can understand my thinking process. i didn't buy this as a desperate way to make some quick money, nor did i buy it thinking in 10 years i will sell it for 500,000 euros.

Last edited by krizze; 05-15-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #42
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

At first, I thought 'well that is kind of a goofy investment, cars depreciate unless they are limited production'. But then, there is a possibility it may work out for the OG. MG is discontinued on the M2C. N55 is discontinued on the M2C. Pre-LCI is the original run. Too bad about missing the MT though.

If he got a really good price (sounds like the case) and leaves it stored with no mileage (properly cared for), there is a change it could appreciate a bit in the next few years (at least if you find the right buyer). Just not sure that possible slight appreciation is worth the risk of it not doing so. Also possible the M2C underwhelms and nostalgia hits for the OG M2. That is less likely, but at least would be a more short term flip.

As a pre-LCI owner, I say good luck! I am rooting for your investment to pay off
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      05-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #43
BMW_MSquared
Enlisted Member
Falkland Islands
Rep

I forget sometimes just how much more expensive these cars can be, especially when you factor-in VAT and the exchange rate and such.

What's the VAT look like in Czech? It's 19% here in Germany, not to mention a 1.23USD:1EUR conversion rate.
Appreciate 0