BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > London tuners recommendations

12-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #1
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 COMPETITION

London tuners recommendations

Hi everyone, so finally after a lot of drama and a cancelled order my new M2C is due to arrive end of February next year. I live in London and I would rather not drive 2+ hours (up to Milton Keynes) to reach a tuner as I'm doing now with my Corsa VXR so I was wondering what are the current recommended options. I tried to search the forum for references but I didn't seem to be too lucky.

Internet says Evolve is the only viable option apparently, can people confirm or deny. I'm looking for someone good, reliable and reputable I don't care about them being social media famous.

To begin with I suppose I'll go light on mods to the engine because of the warranty but definitely I'd like to go for some aesthetics and I'm strongly considering a KW DDC kit so experience in that area would be nice, especially because I'd like to attempt to retrofit the M3/M4 suspension mode switch to it.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
thedoluk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Try Wrench studios in hayes, had my car tuned to stage2 with custom Bootmod3 HCP map. Maxed out now, next step is high pressure pump and then turbo. Ross sport is goung to be doing a package soon I think including both. Wont be cheap though..
Appreciate 1
_debo12.00
      12-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi thedoluk thanks for the info, I'll surely keep them in mind, wrench studios are half the miles far from my current tuner so a big plus already. Ross Sport unfortunately it's super far, but I guess I can keep them in mind for components and parts if anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Wahab
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red M4 ZCP

+1 For Wrench Studios, they use HC.Performance.

Could also go along the BM3 route
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey Rik21 thanks for reaffirming wrench studios as well. They didn't seem heavy on tuning based on their website but the two of you recommended them so.

Just out of curiosity, why neither of you mentioned evolve? Is it because they are not as good as they seem or because you don't have direct experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
thedoluk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
Hey Rik21 thanks for reaffirming wrench studios as well. They didn't seem heavy on tuning based on their website but the two of you recommended them so.

Just out of curiosity, why neither of you mentioned evolve? Is it because they are not as good as they seem or because you don't have direct experience.
I don’t have any direct experience and also think wrench at the time we’re the only bootmod3 dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #7
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

Not London but DMS Automotive in Southampton are well thought of.

They're a little more expensive but you will get a 3 yr package with them where they will come to you and put the car back to standard, say for any warranty work or at service time - then come back and put the map back on.

I had them remap my old A45 AMG and was very impressed with the service and results.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoluk View Post
I don’t have any direct experience and also think wrench at the time we’re the only bootmod3 dealer.
Sorry for the genuine noob question but why is that good? I don't know enough about bootmod3 and its benefits.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny73 View Post
Not London but DMS Automotive in Southampton are well thought of.

They're a little more expensive but you will get a 3 yr package with them where they will come to you and put the car back to standard, say for any warranty work or at service time - then come back and put the map back on.

I had them remap my old A45 AMG and was very impressed with the service and results.
I saw them online, however it seems like they only look after ECUs and nothing else by the look of their site. Also I read on the forum here that even if you remap back BMW, especially in recent models, can still detect alterations. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

OP you asked about a "tuner" do you mean a tuner or a mod shop?

Generally good tuners stick with just engine / exhaust etc.

Evolve are the Internet celebrities that's all.

DMS will do DP's exhausts etc too.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:57 AM   #11
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
I saw them online, however it seems like they only look after ECUs and nothing else by the look of their site. Also I read on the forum here that even if you remap back BMW, especially in recent models, can still detect alterations. Is that true?

Apologies, I thought when you said 'tuner', you were mainly referring to remaps / power increase?

As said above, I think DMS do other bits & bobs too.

Regarding BMW detecting modifications - yes if they really wanted to dig deeply, they can pretty much detect ANY modifications to the ECU, despite what companies may tell you.

That said, the N55 platform has been known to be pretty solid with regards to power increases, so hopefully any engine issues wouldn't be a concern.

Unfortunately, there is no 100% fail safe solution as regards retaining warranty apart from a BMW approved upgrade - I'm not aware of anything that exists though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
OP you asked about a "tuner" do you mean a tuner or a mod shop?

Generally good tuners stick with just engine / exhaust etc.

Evolve are the Internet celebrities that's all.

DMS will do DP's exhausts etc too.
I suppose I meant tuning in a more broader way, so from engine, to body, via anything else in between. So apologise for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny73 View Post
Apologies, I thought when you said 'tuner', you were mainly referring to remaps / power increase?

As said above, I think DMS do other bits & bobs too.

Regarding BMW detecting modifications - yes if they really wanted to dig deeply, they can pretty much detect ANY modifications to the ECU, despite what companies may tell you.

That said, the N55 platform has been known to be pretty solid with regards to power increases, so hopefully any engine issues wouldn't be a concern.

Unfortunately, there is no 100% fail safe solution as regards retaining warranty apart from a BMW approved upgrade - I'm not aware of anything that exists though.
Unfortunately not, so apologies for the misunderstanding. At the moment I'm not looking at remaps unless they can be 100% undetectable because the car will be brand new and I don't want to void the warranty. so I'd rather not go down that path if not possible to do something safe. However I would mind some aesthetic changes like spoilers and such but I also have a crazy idea in mind, I'd love to install the KW DDC coilovers given that I can find a shop who might be able to rewire the KW controller to be attached to the M3/M4 stock button and retrofit that on the M2.
Appreciate 0