BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Lag between shifts...

01-01-2022, 04:07 AM   #265
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
How did you effectively remove the CDV? Did you swap in a different slave without the CDV - I think I recall seeing an e9x version that was a direct replacement. Thx!
Someone posted a video showing a diy while leaving the oem slave in situ and I followed that procedure, was really easy. My first attempt with the clutch bleed failed, the clutch chamber inside the master cylinder is obviously very small, 2nd effort worked and has been great since. Link to a post I made after doing it.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=50
Appreciate 1
ksalih70.50
      01-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #266
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Only an issue with manuals
Yep, I know that, but what's the difference here between N55 and S55?
Don't know other than some function built into the N55 DME that the S55 does not use.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-05-2022, 04:08 AM   #267
jbragg1978
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just read the whole of this thread from start to finish.

Great work from all! This is what these forums are all about.

Is everyone still happy with this issue now been largely resolved with v5.9 of BM3 without needing anything more radical?

On a 6MT car with BM3 stage 2 (v5.9), CSF FMIC, forge and boost pipes, pure inlet, would you guys still recommend doing the following please?

* GFV DV+? Seems to make a positive difference albeit not on between gear lags. Bee Pee makes a good point about durability of the original and potential leaks.

* CDV delete? Consensus seems to be to swap out for the E90 slave. 21526785964. Is this still worthwhile for overall drivability/smoothness, given the v5.9 BM3 seems to fix the 6MT load issues.

* 97506 spark plugs? Versus the OEM ones. I know this is slightly off topic and makes no difference to the between shift lags…

THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #268
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbragg1978 View Post
Just read the whole of this thread from start to finish.

Great work from all! This is what these forums are all about.

Is everyone still happy with this issue now been largely resolved with v5.9 of BM3 without needing anything more radical?

On a 6MT car with BM3 stage 2 (v5.9), CSF FMIC, forge and boost pipes, pure inlet, would you guys still recommend doing the following please?

* GFV DV+? Seems to make a positive difference albeit not on between gear lags. Bee Pee makes a good point about durability of the original and potential leaks.

* CDV delete? Consensus seems to be to swap out for the E90 slave. 21526785964. Is this still worthwhile for overall drivability/smoothness, given the v5.9 BM3 seems to fix the 6MT load issues.

* 97506 spark plugs? Versus the OEM ones. I know this is slightly off topic and makes no difference to the between shift lags…

THANK YOU!
I would go with the TurboSmart VR11 (easier install, claimed better performance)
I would still do the CDV delete
Stick with OEM spark plugs, just change them more frequently
Update to the newest version of the BM3 tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #269
jbragg1978
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thank you, AmuroRay. Much appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience of the Turbosmart VR11 versus a GFB DV+ please, in terms of either install, performance or durability? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:51 PM   #270
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Thank you, AmuroRay. Much appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience of the Turbosmart VR11 versus a GFB DV+ please, in terms of either install, performance or durability? Thank you
Re the DV, can't comment 1st hand as I have only just ordered the turbosmart, however, the turbosmart is probably the better option as it's a complete and direct swap out part, rather than the DV+ that needs some work off the car to assemble using some of the OEM DV.

Re plugs, I would personally consider going one step colder on stage 2; on a 32C evening in the UK, my Stage 2 car logged 364bhp on the dyno - pretty disappointing and the guy was quite baffled. By UK standards though, it was a hot day and likely impacted. I did some checks afterwards, all seemed fine but I swapped out the the plugs as really the only thing I could think of that might benefit. Another dyno run a few weeks later and I hit 431bhp. It was a cooler day (21C), and that would definitely have benefited but IMO the plugs helped.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 04:51 PM   #271
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
https://youtube.com/shorts/vXf-9-gwgDM?feature=share

It's not about any mods. Whether my car was bone stock or modified I never had lag inbetween shifts unless I shifted it incorrectly. You can't shift it like a NA car. You need to be quick but not do it too powerfully. Speed is also a factor.

This video is one instance of someone other than myself who shifts the car the way I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 11:17 PM   #272
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:

THANK YOU!
I would suggest that now it is known how simple & easy it is to remove the CDV while leaving the oem slave in-situ there really is no point doing this any other way. If you later wanted it would be similarly very easy to re-install the CDV though I can't imagine anyone would.
Whatever tune/other mods you have I found removing the CDV made a dramatic improvement to 1-2 shifts especially if going a little hard, the improvements while there for other shifts is imo not as significant.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=50
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 02:34 AM   #273
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Forgot about this until an on ramp today, sucks, feels like forever between shifts
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #274
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
https://youtube.com/shorts/vXf-9-gwgDM?feature=share

It's not about any mods. Whether my car was bone stock or modified I never had lag inbetween shifts unless I shifted it incorrectly. You can't shift it like a NA car. You need to be quick but not do it too powerfully. Speed is also a factor.

This video is one instance of someone other than myself who shifts the car the way I do.
Yes, everyone here is just a terrible shifter and if they would just do it more like you…

There is documented physical log data of this issue. It’s in the thread. It’s the reason companies like BM3 have spent time and resources to develop a fix. What you’re referring to is the “fix” many believe existed early on, which was to shift after 6k rpm. But it has long since been determined that doing that only masked the root cause- it didn’t eliminate it.
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
      03-16-2022, 09:17 AM   #275
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

I have also noticed differences in this issue depending on how I shift.

It’s not a matter of wrong or right, but clutch & throttle application do appear to have an impact on the matter in my experience.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23633.50
      03-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #276
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post

It’s not a matter of wrong or right, but clutch & throttle application do appear to have an impact on the matter in my experience.
That is the case to some level. The root cause seemed to be the requested load breaching a boundary value when the clutch wasn't fully up. The ecu then backs off for a second or two before allowing the load target to rise again.

So, if you let the clutch come up all the way up before nailing the throttle, you'll have much less of an issue. However, that's a slow way to drive IMO.

Honestly if you have a 6mt, bm3 is pretty much mandatory - shame it wasn't an option from the factory! Lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #277
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman's Brother View Post

It's not a matter of wrong or right, but clutch & throttle application do appear to have an impact on the matter in my experience.
Dasnub gphung this is a +1 to my original point.

You can take the horse to the river but you can't make it drink the water.

Let me know how the "fix" goes
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      03-17-2022, 06:58 AM   #278
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was a test mule for bm3 on the fix a while back. I remember them saying there was some function present in N55 DMEs related to shifting and load targets that was not present in the S55. It was very noticeable during testing when that function was removed and the lag disappeared. It has nothing to do with "the right way to shift".
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 08:00 AM   #279
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I was a test mule for bm3 on the fix a while back. I remember them saying there was some function present in N55 DMEs related to shifting and load targets that was not present in the S55. It was very noticeable during testing when that function was removed and the lag disappeared. It has nothing to do with "the right way to shift".
I’m using the updated BM3 and still notice lag between shifts in certain cases. Don’t gaslight me brah. I’ll tell PC principal.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 01:50 PM   #280
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post
Quote:
I’m using the updated BM3 and still notice lag between shifts in certain cases. Don’t gaslight me brah. I’ll tell PC principal.
It will still dump boost at certain part throttle
Load requests but it should work 100% at WOT
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #281
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
It will still dump boost at certain part throttle
Load requests but it should work 100% at WOT
I don’t have this issue at all, so I can’t comment - but does this still happen after upgrading your DV?

Mine throws a shadow code for Divertervalve shut, which I assume means it’s holding boost until the next shift.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #282
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I don’t have this issue at all, so I can’t comment - but does this still happen after upgrading your DV?

Mine throws a shadow code for Divertervalve shut, which I assume means it’s holding boost until the next shift.
You have an m235? I think the this issue was only on f8x.

Dv makes little difference to this - somewhere I did sone log comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:21 AM   #283
i531m
Rep
Drives: bmw n55 pure500

My manual f20 m135i does this too, wgdc isnt always at 100 percent after the shift

im running mhd stage 2+ im sure it was less of a problem at stage 1 and stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #284
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
You have an m235? I think the this issue was only on f8x.

Dv makes little difference to this - somewhere I did sone log comparisons.
My prior M235i never did this. It’s what made it so incredibly noticeable coming to the M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:51 PM   #285
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
I recently purchased an used stock M2 Comp 6MT, with very little milage, and immediately noticed this issue. I found this thread and read it all.

I appreciate all the time you and others have dedicated with tuners to help solve this issue, and I'm glad they finally acknowledged it and fixed it. My stock car power lags during upshifts definitely feel annoying, so I am now determined to apply a tune to it.

I just don't know what tune I need to ask for. I don't really want more power or torque (well, maybe just improving torque at high rpm like the M2 CS, but that's is) but I definitely want the upshift power lag removed

Do all BM3 tunes already incorporate the fix as of today?. Any information is appreciated

(Sorry for my English)

Last edited by JoanLluch; 06-26-2022 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 03:25 AM   #286
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Just as a follow up question regarding this issue and for additional thoughts: what conclusions we arrived in terms of the actual conditions that make the ECU software to do this?

I mean, is it actually only related to shifts, or will the power gap also happen if you just fully release the throttle, then push it again quickly (in a matter of say only 1 second as opposed to more than say 4 or 5) but without touching the clutch or changing gear?

I'm asking that becaue if it is ONLY related to shifts, maybe we could just trick the system by disconnecting the clutch sensor or the gear position sensor, or both?

Does the above make sense to any of the members that were involved on fixing this?
Appreciate 0