BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Has anyone had these issues with their cars??

09-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #23
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have steering play going at 60 mph and above.

Alignment and suspension components are fine, got them checked.

Can't figure out at this point but could be software related.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #24
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

still on OEM tires? if you cheaped out on them you can get some really sloppy steering feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

still on OEM tires? if you cheaped out on them you can get some really sloppy steering feedback.
Yes OEM Michelin PSS Tires.

I think issue could be related to PSS tires, excessive tramlining or steering software calibration. All the suspension components checked out fine, including alignment. I got my car checked from 2 different BMW dealers and got same results.

My 335i has Michelin 4S tires and I don't have any play in my steering. I can't believe that I'm saying this but my 335i steering feels sharper than my M2C.

Did anyone here have any bad experience with PSS stock tires?

Thanks!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #26
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Did I miss something? Are Mich PSS now considered cheap, crappy tires?
      09-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
1) The side mirror angle seems to get fucked up whenever I fold my mirrors in. I fold my mirrors when I pull into my garage, and every time I have to reset them up. it seems to only be there driver's side US version) mirror that does this. It's annoying.
I've notice the mirror angle issue in a new X2 loaner car I had recently; every time I folded in the mirror and unfold them, the glass would become out-of-line. It first, I assumed it was nothing and just all in my head but after it happened on several occasions, I've confirmed that there seems to be an issue with side glasses staying aligned.

I didn't address this or mention it to anyone, since it was a loaner and my SA wouldn't of cared but just confirming you're not crazy and now, neither am I
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      09-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Did I miss something? Are Mich PSS now considered cheap, crappy tires?
nope pss are great tires. I was just asking because if he had put some cheap tires on the front it could cause some sloppy steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
1) The side mirror angle seems to get fucked up whenever I fold my mirrors in. I fold my mirrors when I pull into my garage, and every time I have to reset them up. it seems to only be there driver's side US version) mirror that does this. It's annoying.
I've notice the mirror angle issue in a new X2 loaner car I had recently; every time I folded in the mirror and unfold them, the glass would become out-of-line. It first, I assumed it was nothing and just all in my head but after it happened on several occasions, I've confirmed that there seems to be an issue with side glasses staying aligned.

I didn't address this or mention it to anyone, since it was a loaner and my SA wouldn't of cared but just confirming you're not crazy and now, neither am I
thanks for this.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      09-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #30
E21-myfirstlove
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I have had, about four times, when I am in the car about to pull away it states that the trunk is open. I get out and check but the trunk is not open. It is fully latched but said it was open. I have to open the trunk and slam it shut to clear it. And I know I didn't hit the button on my fob.

Also, I now have a right rear blinker malfunction popping up occasionally. I don't think BMW engineers anticipated someone using their blinker more than five times!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:50 AM   #31
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E21-myfirstlove View Post
I have had, about four times, when I am in the car about to pull away it states that the trunk is open. I get out and check but the trunk is not open. It is fully latched but said it was open. I have to open the trunk and slam it shut to clear it. And I know I didn't hit the button on my fob.

Also, I now have a right rear blinker malfunction popping up occasionally. I don't think BMW engineers anticipated someone using their blinker more than five times!
EXACT same 2 issues as you! Going in on Monday to the dealer for 18k mile routine maintenance, and hopefully have the right turn signal thing fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E21-myfirstlove View Post

LoL..

Here's my DIY fix for the infamous rapid turn signal malfunction..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25228472

It's just a suggestion because I get most wouldn't want to splice into their new vehicle's stock ground wiring but I know it's the only solution, as there is only so much that can go mechanically wrong in a LED taillight operation.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #33
DKM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

I had the trunk issue for one day. I was going to take it in, but it stopped. Hoping it was something I did by accident.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      09-17-2019, 05:02 AM   #34
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I think I might of found the issue with at least the random trunk opening; apparently BMW set the trunk unlock button to active after .5 seconds, stock.

Wearing tight-ish cloths or any object that slightly depresses the button, inadvertently opens the trunk. The resistance for the remote is pretty low.

The dealer obvious would be "unable to duplicate the issue" so what I suggest you do is code the truck release to commence after a 5 seconds delay. This should eliminate all intermitted trunk opening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
msdss497.50
      09-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #35
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Nice find!
      09-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #36
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think I might of found the issue with at least the random trunk opening; apparently BMW set the trunk unlock button to active after .5 seconds, stock.

Wearing tight-ish cloths or any object that slightly depresses the button, inadvertently opens the trunk. The resistance for the remote is pretty low.

The dealer obvious would be "unable to duplicate the issue" so what I suggest you do is code the truck release to commence after a 5 seconds delay. This should eliminate all intermitted trunk opening.
This is awesome. Thanks for finding this! Is your screenshot from Bimmercode, or something else?
So all this setting does is dictate how long the button on the remote has to be pressed? .5 seconds seems like a stupid low value.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is awesome. Thanks for finding this!
So all this setting does is dictate how long the button on the remote has to be pressed? .5 seconds seems like a stupid low value.
Pretty much; after you change the mapping to say a 5 second delay, you would have to then hold down the button for that duration, to unlock the trunk.

It's a little more effort but at-least it would prevent your remote from "butt-dialing"

Edit: Yes, that's a Bimmercode snap shot, the setting is located in the pre-populated FEM menu.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      09-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #38
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Regarding the mirrors, are you talking about the actual mirror or the housing not lining up when folded?

When I fold my mirrors, my drivers side absolutely does not tuck in like the passenger. Pokes out about 15%.

I coded my car to fold mirrors when I lock the car, so I've def noticed the don't align.
I thought it was just me that noticed this. Except it's my passenger side that pokes out about 10-15%

How are we in 2019 and BMW can't perfectly align folding mirrors, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #39
OldDirtyCoaks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:

2) trunk opens all the damn time. I swear to god, a dozen times or so I get into my car, and I get the dash warning that my trunk is open. I don't ever go into my trunk. there has never been an object placed in my trunk. no other human in this world has access to my trunk. what the fuck...
If your keys are in your pants your trunk open button is probably getting hit when you sit down.

happened to me the other day.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #40
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertongue View Post
I have an issue where the DCT transmission will sometimes automatically switch from drive to sequential without touching anything. Nearly redlined the thing a couple of times and smelt some magic smoke leave. Anyone else have this?

Also the seat settings don't save and connected app rarely works. Not a super fan of the electronics tbh.

Mirrors and trunk though - no problem lol
Maybe you press M2 by accident? It comes configured to S3 from the factory.
      09-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #41
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

I find that my mirrors have a bit of 'give', but not much. If I wash them they are slightly misaligned to where I want them but not a big deal.

Only issue I'm having now is sometimes my left turn signal rate doubles in frequency and I get an error message "left rear turn signal malfunction".
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #42
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

both of the rear tail light got problem

1 already got replaced, need time to go back to replace the other one