BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Sonoma Track Days?

04-15-2024, 10:42 AM   #1
Henry428
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Sonoma Track Days?

Anyone here taken their M2C to a Sonoma track day? I've never done this before and thought it might be fun but I'm a little intimidated-I'm no pro driver, just someone who wants to experience my car to the full extent of my own abilities in a relatively safe manner. Would a track day be welcoming?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:23 AM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry428 View Post
Anyone here taken their M2C to a Sonoma track day? I've never done this before and thought it might be fun but I'm a little intimidated-I'm no pro driver, just someone who wants to experience my car to the full extent of my own abilities in a relatively safe manner. Would a track day be welcoming?
I haven't been to Sonoma in particular but track days (HPDEs) are typically very welcoming. Usually for a new driver they will pair you with an instructor which helps tremendously. They are also usually slotted by experience/pace with the understanding in the novice group the drivers are typically working on the fundamentals and getting up to speed. Rules are set as such and you usually are with the instructor until you pass a check ride ok'ing you to go solo.

Make sure the car is sound, has good track pads and fluid, tires are in good shape - and go have fun! Will warn you though it can be very addicting...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:54 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Make sure it is an HPDE at the track. BMWCCA events are one of the best to join. You will need a helmet and pass a track inspection before the event. Here is a link to HPDE at your track: https://hpdejunkie.com/locations/sonoma-raceway/
      04-15-2024, 02:51 PM   #4
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Yeah I’ve done a few times. There’re a few places to get in trouble. The walls are a little close in a few places. If you’re not that experienced or worried many hpde groups run a novice class w either in car instruction or small group lead follow instruction and look over track line/instruction YouTube videos.

If you want a less intimidating track, try thunderhill especially the west loop. Slower w lots of corners and crucially many fewer walls and much more runoff.

I’ve used speed sF and hod and litespeed… so far so good. There were a few novices I kept my distance from but tight rules meant it was relatively safe.

Lemme know if any questions.

My cars stock except camber plates and 200TW tires. Might do brake fluid and rotor/brakes when originals are shot. Pads are at least 1/2 done and rotor is 2/3 done. 36k miles and 8-10 track days.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:20 PM   #5
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Will warn you though it can be very addicting...
This
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 11:04 PM   #6
kurtruk27
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6-Spd

I did Sonoma on March 31. New asphalt. Glorious. Such a fun track. There are some close walls. But if you start in a beginner run group and learn the track and slowly build up your speed I don't think you have anything to worry about safety wise. Did I mention the glorious new asphalt?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 12:00 AM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
I was just instructing there last weekend with HoD. If you've never done an HPDE before, look for a club/group that does dedicated in-car instruction for the whole day. In general everybody is very welcoming.

Sonoma is my favorite NorCal track. My student last weekend had an M2C and it was his first HPDE ever. Since he had an instructor he was able to learn safely, and after building a baseline, increase speed. He was surprised when I told him a lot of people tell first timers Sonoma is dangerous, and had a fantastic time all day.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 10:36 PM   #8
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Sonoma is a very fun track. Turns 2, 3, 7, and 11 are a blast with the F87’s short wheelbase and on-throttle adjustability. Multiple walls around the course can make it intimidating, but drive within your limits and gradually improve throughout the day. You’ll be fine. If you’re relatively new to track days, run with MDM on. Flush your brake fluid with DOT4, as a bare minimum prep.
Appreciate 0