BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > FI exhaust

11-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

FI exhaust

So the best sounding exhaust you could get for OG M2 is FI. Their stuff realluy takes it to another level. I come from a V8 (and I still miss the sound SO MUCH!)

But FI on N55 was gooooood.

Then I think, OK, perhaps FI can also make the S55 sound half way decent.... Nope. FAIL. This means there is just no way to make the S55 sound good. Sad but true.

Here is the fart can noise the S55 makes with the best exhasut out there:

Pathetic. Still all the pops and bangs but the tone is hollow as opposed to deep.

I love the power delivery and the potential of the S55 but come the fuck on! This sounds like a over wound dump truck
I don't care what you say, but being able to hear and enjoy your car next to a wall, or in tunnels, or just with the windows down is a big deal. I really hope someone comes up with a fix. This is the Achilles's heal of an otherwise great car.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Well, you aren’t wrong. The s55 really won’t ever sound “good”. Just the fundamental setup with twin turbo and true dual path exhaust gives you this dueling 3 cylinder sound. It has grown on me over time though but wouldn’t say it’s a great sounding exhaust. Sounds very “Motorsport”, even though I can’t quite define what that means.

Full disclosure: I went with Remus Race on my car
Appreciate 3
5.M0NSTER3353.50
natmad667.00
      11-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

And I guess I was really hoping that a $95K M2CS gets this part right, but it sounds just as terrible as the rest of them. Disappointing at that price. Can anyone name ONE car which sounds worse at a $100K price point?

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Well, you aren’t wrong. The s55 really won’t ever sound “good”. Just the fundamental setup with twin turbo and true dual path exhaust gives you this dueling 3 cylinder sound. It has grown on me over time though but wouldn’t say it’s a great sounding exhaust. Sounds very “Motorsport”, even though I can’t quite define what that means.

I think you're spot on, the hollow sound is because of only 3 cylinders feeding it. I hope someone comes up with a post turbo X pipe setup or something like that to collect the other 3 and feed it into the exhaust.

At this point might as well make it an exhaust thread.

Here is the Remus Race:

And Akra for good measure:

HINT. When they play catchy music instead of letting you listen to the sound, you know it's bad.

Appreciate 2
pz6193274.00
      11-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

There is an AA midpipe that combines both paths into one. Helps deepen the sound, but unfortunately doesn't 100% eliminate the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #6
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
And I guess I was really hoping that a $95K M2CS gets this part right, but it sounds just as terrible as the rest of them. Disappointing at that price. Can anyone name ONE car which sounds worse at a $100K price point?
According to Motor Trend there are a lot of them. I think the M2C sounds great. Just drive one with the window open. M2CS will sound even better. The M4CS sounded fantastic. Only an idiot judges an exhaust sound on cold start.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/rank...t-drivers-car/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:45 AM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
So the best sounding exhaust you could get for OG M2 is FI.
Personally my vote goes to the BMW M2 M Performance Exhaust for the base M2.
      11-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
According to Motor Trend there are a lot of them. I think the M2C sounds great. Just drive one with the window open. M2CS will sound even better. The M4CS sounded fantastic. Only an idiot judges an exhaust sound on cold start.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/rank...t-drivers-car/
Yeah, then there is the release vide also with lots of music to cover up the abysmal sound note.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Personally my vote goes to the BMW M2 M Performance Exhaust for the base M2.
I respect that. Sounds is subjective after all. Glad you like it

To my ear this is the best.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11-08-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

You really feel some type of way about the S55 exhaust note don't ya? I honestly don't think the OG or Comp sound particularly good. They're both unique sounds, but not necessarily pleasant. In the Comp, with the windows up OR down, it just sounds like a normal i6. You're an odd specimen if you're really letting what the car sounds like ON THE OUTSIDE, dictate your decision. You aren't hearing what bystanders are hearing, and you never will.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
You really feel some type of way about the S55 exhaust note don't ya? I honestly don't think the OG or Comp sound particularly good. They're both unique sounds, but not necessarily pleasant. In the Comp, with the windows up OR down, it just sounds like a normal i6. You're an odd specimen if you're really letting what the car sounds like ON THE OUTSIDE, dictate your decision. You aren't hearing what bystanders are hearing, and you never will.
Yes, you are correct. I do feel the need to enjoy the acoustic experience of what I drive. If I didn't the dishwasher would be fine.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post

I would like to hear your exhaust. Do you ever go to RSF for cars and coffee?
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50
pz6193274.00
      11-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #13
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

You know, I was one of the OG owners feeling all smug about the N55 sound. Then I drove the M2C. From the inside they sound very similar and nice. I don't listen to my car from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
You know, I was one of the OG owners feeling all smug about the N55 sound. Then I drove the M2C. From the inside they sound very similar and nice. I don't listen to my car from the outside.
Hey, that's cool. Glad you enjoy fake sound being pumped in through the speakers. A lot of people do.
I on the other hand like to dive with the windows down in 40F weather with the heated seats on and a hat. I know, I'm weird.

But in all honesty don't you enjoy tunnels? Don't you enjoy hearing your engine and exhaust against a divider wall on the freeway? I do. I downshift 2 gears and hit the rev limiter in a tunnel daily. Am I that rare of a driver these days?

Appreciate 2
      11-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't think the OG or Comp sound particularly good. They're both unique sounds, but not necessarily pleasant.
Did you even listen to the first video I posted? If you can listen to it all the way through and honestly tell me that they all sound the same to you I would be very surprised. Not sure what to say at that pint, but very surprised.

I have a hard time smelling. And I guess some people have a hard time hearing.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Hey, that's cool. Glad you enjoy fake sound being pumped in through the speakers. A lot of people do.
I on the other hand like to dive with the windows down in 40F weather with the heated seats on and a hat. I know, I'm weird.

But in all honesty don't you enjoy tunnels? Don't you enjoy hearing your engine and exhaust against a divider wall on the freeway? I do. I downshift 2 gears and hit the rev limiter in a tunnel daily. Am I that rare of a driver these days?
Oh I do enjoy all those sounds (I got OG with MPE). But driving the M2C made me realize that it's not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Oh I do enjoy all those sounds (I got OG with MPE). But driving the M2C made me realize that it's not that bad.
This is where we diverge. I don't understand how you can say that with a straight face. Not that bad compared to what? To me the difference is stark. And I've heard multiple M2Cs on the outside.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Did you even listen to the first video I posted? If you can listen to it all the way through and honestly tell me that they all sound the same to you I would be very surprised. Not sure what to say at that pint, but very surprised.

I have a hard time smelling. And I guess some people have a hard time hearing.
When did I ever say they sounded similar...? I clearly stated that I do not think either the N55 or S55 sound particularly good. I also very clearly said that FROM THE INSIDE, the S55 sounds like any other inline 6. Just as mr_lab_rat said, I don't listen to my car from the outside. I couldn't care less as to what a crowd of people think about the sound my car makes as I drive past. You might want to get your eyes checked, because you apparently also have a hard time reading.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #19
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When did I ever say they sounded similar...? I clearly stated that I do not think either the N55 or S55 sound particularly good. You apparently also have a hard time reading.
Fair. So what was your point then? As in what sounds good to you?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Well. Thanks for posting. It's been so long since anyone from the OG M2 crowd came by to tell us foolish folk that the M2C doesn't sound very good. I think we were pretty close to forgetting how bad our cars sound, so thanks! Really appreciate the reminder. Come on, folk! You heard him! Exhaust sound is all that matters! Off to the Ford dealership to get a Mustang that he can really appreciate (since he really misses V8's)!

Wooo!

Seriously, you're about a 15 months too late on this thread. Or 5 years if you count all the way back to the '14 M3's.
Appreciate 2
COChris887.50
Conissah1574.50
      11-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #21
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
When did I ever say they sounded similar...? I clearly stated that I do not think either the N55 or S55 sound particularly good. You apparently also have a hard time reading.
I love how there is a lot of talk about exhaust sounds on here like it's an objective fact what sounds good and what doesn't. It's purely subjective, unless you define objective as a very vocal minority group of all people who drive car's opinion (e.g., ask the average soccer mom if she thinks your sweet coyote sounds good or is a nuisance).

Here is a thought experiment. What if, when the internal combustion engine was developed, it was developed with a turbo. And then we spent the next 100 or so years hearing every car from a Bel Air to a formula 1 car with a turbo. Then, some crack pots in Michigan thought, wait, could we make one without a turbo? So here you are, 2019 hearing an NA for the first time. Would it sound like shit? I think it would to a car enthusiast in that alternate reality.

I think we confuse nostalgia and societal learned preferences with objectiveness.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the S55 is the best sounding engine ever. But, to me, it sounds better than a Coyote (which annoys me personally, especially with a Borla). I know you are definitely going to hate that statement, but that's my point, it's subjective. I think saying and/or implying some one is stupid or deaf or less than because they don't agree with your subjective sound preferences is a bit much.

Though makes entertaining internets.

Edit: To be clear this is not a shot at you, just a general observation. Didn't realize I quoted you until it was too late.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 6
cptobvious2531.50
hAxel91.00
COChris887.50
MDuckie93.00
BFLY78.50
Brandt51839.50
      11-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I love how there is a lot of talk about exhaust sounds on here like it's an objective fact what sounds good and what doesn't. It's purely subjective, unless you define objective as a very vocal minority group of all people who drive car's opinion (e.g., ask the average soccer mom if she thinks your sweet coyote sounds good or is a nuisance).

Here is a thought experiment. What if, when the internal combustion engine was developed, it was developed with a turbo. And then we spent the next 100 or so years hearing every car from a Bel Air to a formula 1 car with a turbo. Then, some crack pots in Michigan thought, wait, could we make one without a turbo? So here you are, 2019 hearing an NA for the first time. Would it sound like shit? I think it would to a car enthusiast in that alternate reality.

I think we confuse nostalgia and societal learned preferences with objectiveness.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the S55 is the best sounding engine ever. But, to me, it sounds better than a Coyote (which annoys me personally, especially with a Borla). I know you are definitely going to hate that statement, but that's my point, it's subjective. I think saying and/or implying some one is stupid or deaf or less than because they don't agree with your subjective sound preferences is a bit much.

Though makes entertaining internets.

Edit: To be clear this is not a shot at you, just a general observation. Didn't realize I quoted you until it was too late.
+1

You, my good sir, are like the wise man sitting at the summit of the mountain, as we unwashed climb the slopes to hear your enlightened words!

I'm that dude from the alternate reality! Until a year ago, I couldn't tell you the difference between a Toyota and a McLaren. Because I had no idea what a McLaren even was. I've come into this whole car enthusiast community like a babe in diapers.

And the first thing I read on the inter webs is how god awful the S55 engine sounds. I go for a test drive, and because all my life the most exciting car I've ever driven is a Honda Civic, I was like, "Daaayyyyuuuum! That sounds good!"

Same with the 718 Cayman. Watch 832 YouTube videos where EVERY LAST REVIEWER talks about how GOD AWFUL that engine sounds. Go for a test drive... sounds pretty damn good to me! In fact, I love Randy Pobst for one and only one reason: When Motor Trend was doing one of their Best Driver's Car shows, he was testing a 718 Cayman and straight up looks into the camera and spake heresy! "I don't know... engine sounds pretty good to me."
Appreciate 5
Thescout134944.00
Davil6333.50
hAxel91.00
warrenw1084.00
RARZED454.50