BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > The Luxury Driver's Car spec -6MT, Exec Pkg and Moonroof!

11-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

The Luxury Driver's Car spec -6MT, Exec Pkg and Moonroof!

This seems to be a bit of a rare combination. The M2 Comp with a 6MT, Executive Package and a Moonroof. I understand why. Moonroof's add weight and are considered bad from a performance standpoint and most folks who want a manual car are probably going for the lightest and simplest car available.

But I have never been accused of being like most folks (ask my wife how picky I am about my cars - you will get an ear full!). So I'm fairly certain that I want what I am calling the Luxury Driver's Car spec. I want the 6MT for maximum involvement but I also want the Heated Steering wheel and other goodies from the Executive Package and the Moonroof for bringing more light into the cabin.

Oh and I also want it in Sunset Orange, because having seen it in person I find it to be an amazing color.

Did anyone else go with this spec? Seems like I am either going to have to try and get my dealership to order it for me or go fairly far afield to find one.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

You may be able to find this combo searching around, but the manuals are hard to find since most dealers just order the DCT. I wanted a specific combo like you are listing (manual, no moonroof) and just decided to order it the way I wanted. Took a few months and I didn't get a discount, but I got Exactly what I wanted. You only have to put $1k down for the order, so if you can't find the one you want, this is always the option.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Nothing wrong with mixing performance and comfort. I see you are already driving a Macan GTS. Albeit, Porsche has gone ultra-soft with their PDK only models but your SAV is still quite a barnstormer with the right pedal down to the carpet.

Do a search on car gurus and other websites. You might just find your sporty car out there.

Happy hunting!
      11-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did actually see one in CT but I am in GA so it would take some doing to get it here, especially since I want to trade my Macan GTS. The Macan is a great vehicle but it's a little too isolated (I consider it a luxury vehicle that also happens to be extremely capable) and quiet unless you are in Sport +.

Also looks like Silver, White and Black make up the vast majority of the M2C's available right now with Orange and Blue being far less. Of course I would want the least popular color. ��
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
JMurphM2Comp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 SOM M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanx1 View Post
This seems to be a bit of a rare combination. The M2 Comp with a 6MT, Executive Package and a Moonroof. I understand why. Moonroof's add weight and are considered bad from a performance standpoint and most folks who want a manual car are probably going for the lightest and simplest car available.

But I have never been accused of being like most folks (ask my wife how picky I am about my cars - you will get an ear full!). So I'm fairly certain that I want what I am calling the Luxury Driver's Car spec. I want the 6MT for maximum involvement but I also want the Heated Steering wheel and other goodies from the Executive Package and the Moonroof for bringing more light into the cabin.

Oh and I also want it in Sunset Orange, because having seen it in person I find it to be an amazing color.

Did anyone else go with this spec? Seems like I am either going to have to try and get my dealership to order it for me or go fairly far afield to find one.

You literally spec'd my car. Sunset Orange, Exec pack, manual, and sunroof. I had to order mine. Took about 4 months from getting on the allocation list to taking delivery (build time + shipping was roughly 2 months).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMurphM2Comp View Post
You literally spec'd my car. Sunset Orange, Exec pack, manual, and sunroof.
Love it! Did you buy from a local dealership? Did you buy it off of the lot or have to order it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I ordered a 6MT with Exec and Moonroof in Hockenheim Silver. I placed my order in May and did the European Delivery. I loved the experience but dropped off my car 9/13 and still have yet to receive it but I have no regrets with my order. I wanted something fun and I think the regular roof makes the m2 look weird whereas the moonroof makes it look somewhat sporty. I had an M3 before so I was spoiled with the CF roof
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

I’ve seen quite a few 6MT/SO w/ exec(pretty much all m2c’s ordered with it) but not too many with sunroofs.
I’ve always been the guy who wants a sunroof, but uses it maybe once a year. I guess it was the brighter cabin that I liked.
Anyway, I was willing to sacrifice the sunroof if all the must-haves were satisfied (6mt, exec, LBB or SO), and got one off the lot.
SO is an amazing color btw. Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMurphM2Comp View Post
You literally spec'd my car. Sunset Orange, Exec pack, manual, and sunroof.
Love it! Did you buy from a local dealership? Did you buy it off of the lot or have to order it?
He had to order it.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
I’ve seen quite a few 6MT/SO w/ exec(pretty much all m2c’s ordered with it) but not too many with sunroofs.
I’ve always been the guy who wants a sunroof, but uses it maybe once a year. I guess it was the brighter cabin that I liked.
Anyway, I was willing to sacrifice the sunroof if all the must-haves were satisfied (6mt, exec, LBB or SO), and got one off the lot.
SO is an amazing color btw. Good luck with the search!
Thanks much. I appreciate it! I don't necessarily open the Moonroof to the outside very often but do like the slider to be open to let light in especially during the winter and especially in a dark cabin. I kept the roof open in the Macan pretty much all last winter and greatly enjoyed that versus the TT RS I owned before it that felt pretty dark and claustrophobic on gray days.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:

I ordered your spec minus the moonroof. Then, about 3 weeks later I saw SO in person on a couple of other models (some SUV and a 4 door sedan (don't know, don't care. Not BMW guy.) It just looked really odd even though I wanted to like it.

Saw HS in the sun and it looked like off-white. White is a no go for me. Blue reminds me of WRXs for some reason...

Then, I saw BSM on an M2C in the sun and it was beautiful. I love black cars, but I didn't want to have to wash it 3 times a week. 😁

So, now I have a BSM MT Exec. I really wanted the SO until I saw it in person on other models. Wish they had a red.

I like having a moonroof too, but didn't want the possibility of related problems in the future since I planned on keeping this one for a long time. I've had leaks and mechanical issues with them on previous cars.

Order process took about 3-4 months start to finish.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
I ordered your spec minus the moonroof. Then, about 3 weeks later I saw SO in person on a couple of other models (some SUV and a 4 door sedan (don't know, don't care. Not BMW guy.) It just looked really odd even though I wanted to like it.

Saw HS in the sun and it looked like off-white. White is a no go for me. Blue reminds me of WRXs for some reason...

Then, I saw BSM on an M2C in the sun and it was beautiful. I love black cars, but I didn't want to have to wash it 3 times a week. 😁

So, now I have a BSM MT Exec. I really wanted the SO until I saw it in person on other models. Wish they had a red.

Order process took about 3-4 months start to finish.
The DCT car I test drove was in SO and I was really smitten with it. I think it works on the M2. I haven't actually seen HS in person yet but should be able to in a couple of days as my local Car Max is getting a 2019 M2C in HS that I will go and test drive.

I agree Black looks amazing on these cars but my driveway is gravel and gets dusty in the summertime and as fussy as I am about my car's appearance it just would not be a good idea for me.

For those of you out there who can do a black car justice, more power to you!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Wow I'm surprised! I thought that combination would be the most common!

6-speed - for driver involvement and since it's the spiritual successor to one of the best Ms, it's gotta be manual

Executive Package - a lot of goodies in that bucket. No brainer

Moonroof - it's not a hardcore track car, at least not to me. Gotta have that head vent to open up a bit and get some nice airflow
      11-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
JMurphM2Comp
Private
Rep

Quote:
I ordered it from my local dealership. It was about a 4-month process total including waiting to get an allocation. Build time + delivery was about 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
One advantage of no moonroof, is no clogged moonroof drains to deal with. I optioned mine without it more for the gain in headroom and the fact I don't tend to use them.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #16
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

That's the spec i ordered my HS car in. I had to wait around 5 months or so if I remember. I don't buy cars very often, i'm happy to wait if it means getting the car I want at a fair price.

I agree with you, the interior on the car is very dark, that's a big part of why i ordered the sunroof. I don't think i've ever closed the shade since getting the car, granted I live in Seattle, where it's overcast all the time. That's also why i ordered orange stitching, the blue is probably more tasteful, but the interior needed a dose of excitement and warmth IMHO.

I've used the heated wheel almost every time i've driven it in the past month or so. First time i've ever had one and it is niiiiice.

Last edited by Moflow; 11-07-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      11-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #17
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Moonroof for the win!

I had one on all my BMWs, including Mini JCW and never had a single issue..

This old wives' tale of it being unreliable is perplexing; do you guys honestly expect it to conk out on any vehicle under 25 model years old or it just a case of sour grapes or maybe justification of your choice..

With that kind of rational, why even bother getting an automobile, play it safe and just take the bus
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #18
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

I went with this spec. I don't consider the M2C to be an incredibly RAW track focused machine – I feel like the reason M cars are great is because you can drive them anywhere and everywhere. Which is why I went fully loaded with a sunroof.

I'm lucky to also own a GT4 which feels a lot more "race car", but even if I didn't I'd spec the car this way. 99% of the time I'll be enjoying it driving around and road tripping, not on the track. I think if you were going to build the car into a track monster it'd make sense to get a stripper, but, then maybe it makes sense to start with a different car?

Pre-tints during Euro Delivery:

Back home in Canada, tinted:

'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
smknjoe234.00
Moflow2484.50
Poochie9104.50
BlkSVT388.50
      11-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #19
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

"This old wives' tale of it being unreliable is perplexing; do you guys honestly expect it to conk out on any vehicle under 25 model years old or it just a case of sour grapes or maybe justification of your choice..

With that kind of rational, why even bother getting an automobile, play it safe and just take the bus "

Great specs all around! Get what you like.

I have had 2 Japanese cars that had leaks around the sun/moonroof after 7-10 years and I never use them in Houston (way too hot.) So, just don't bother with them anymore. My mother in law had hers spontaneously shatter going down the freeway a few weeks ago in her Lexus. Maybe it's a Japanese thing. :
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #20
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
"This old wives' tale of it being unreliable is perplexing; do you guys honestly expect it to conk out on any vehicle under 25 model years old or it just a case of sour grapes or maybe justification of your choice..

With that kind of rational, why even bother getting an automobile, play it safe and just take the bus "

Great specs all around! Get what you like.

I have had 2 Japanese cars that had leaks around the sun/moonroof after 7-10 years and I never use them in Houston (way too hot.) So, just don't bother with them anymore. My mother in law had hers spontaneously shatter going down the freeway a few weeks ago in her Lexus. Maybe it's a Japanese thing. :
Just because you had a bad experience with sunroofs, should we just write off the millions of vehicles that successfully use them for the operational life?

Some sunroofs do indeed leak. However, good quality sunroofs do not. There is a big difference in quality and performance between premium sunroofs and cheaper sunroofs. The differences are primarily in the seals and hinge/handle hardware.

Most premium sunroofs use a more expensive seal made primarily of silicone with a 20 year plus life expectancy and strong, heavy duty handles and hinges made of polycarbon – most economy roofs however have seals made of neoprene that once exposed to weather, rapidly deteriorate along with weak handles and hinges often made of plastic that won't hold the glass secure... all leading to water leaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Like he said Sunroof is the way to go. I ordered my previous BMW, an M235i sunroof delete because of structural integrity, less weight, headroom, etc. A few track days and autox. No issues with race helmet clearance even if I opted for a sunroof. I don't think the extra weight would have mattered. Afterall, you cannot option a/c heat delete, c/f hood/roof/trunk, etc. The N55 was robust enough to propel the car at warp speeds (go pass "go" and jail). But in the end, I loss some $$$ on valuation since a sunroof car not only brings up book value but turns out, also quite desirable in the resale market.

Lesson learned. I now will opt with sunroof unless it is not an available option. Even though I seldom use the convenience.

On a side note: I also own a 2016 Porsche Cayman 981S. Even in this trim, it is a much more focused track car than my M2C. Each has its own panache. I like them both. Hence, I own both.

Good luck with the hunt. Whichever M2C you get, it'll be a winner for sure!

Last edited by gaijin; 11-08-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #22
JMurphM2Comp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
I went with this spec. I don't consider the M2C to be an incredibly RAW track focused machine – I feel like the reason M cars are great is because you can drive them anywhere and everywhere. Which is why I went fully loaded with a sunroof.

I'm lucky to also own a GT4 which feels a lot more "race car", but even if I didn't I'd spec the car this way. 99% of the time I'll be enjoying it driving around and road tripping, not on the track. I think if you were going to build the car into a track monster it'd make sense to get a stripper, but, then maybe it makes sense to start with a different car?

Pre-tints during Euro Delivery:

Back home in Canada, tinted:

Absolutely stunning! Great shots
Appreciate 0