BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C better buy if M2 CS limited or too expensive?

11-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #23
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I don't think there will be a artificial price bubble like on P-Cars for M2s. So in that regard, I would say that the M2C is a better buy. However, if for some reason there is a price bubble, then it makes sense getting the M2CS and driving it minimally and selling it in 15 years.
But if you're planning on actually enjoying your new car, then I would go with the M2C, it has 90% of what the CS has and from what we can tell, should cost substantially less.
      11-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Word on the streets the M2C is being marked down by up to 20%.

So as much as I would love a "Limited Production" vehicle like a CS, if I could easily snatch up a M2C w/sunroof for for under $55,000, I would take that in a heartbeat.

However, if money ain't a thang, then I would shoot for the CS; it will pay for itself with static deprecation, whenever you're ready to sell.
20%???

Where exactly can you get a new M2C for $12K off sticker, which is roughly $48k? For that price might as well pick up a spare.
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
BlkSVT388.50
smknjoe234.00
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Word on the streets the M2C is being marked down by up to 20%.

So as much as I would love a "Limited Production" vehicle like a CS, if I could easily snatch up a M2C w/sunroof for for under $55,000, I would take that in a heartbeat.

However, if money ain't a thang, then I would shoot for the CS; it will pay for itself with static deprecation, whenever you're ready to sell.
20%???

Where exactly can you get a new M2C for $12K off sticker, which is roughly $48k? For that price might as well pick up a spare.
I said up to 20%.

The fact is there is big discounts to be had, depending on your sales pitch. The most I was able to negotiate was 11% off, hence my $55,000 quote.

Cars sell and are discounted by the market demand; if the cars are in regular production and demand, the dealer would be more willing to discount to move them.

As far as the M2 CS, it's artificially limited to increase the value, so the prices will remain inflated, until they're discontinued.

The more a car is produced, the more you can bet it depreciates.

I saw this just a few years ago when BMW first introduced the i8, they essentially had the plan to keep it to limited numbers and make it a halo car. This would at least hold the value of the car, even if the performance was lacking.

However BMW changed their minds for whatever reason and now decided to make a lot more. So people who spent $150k for one can look at a resale value of around $80k.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      11-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #26
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If you spec them M2C with the CF hood, trunk lid, splitter, fenders it'll add close to $18k to the price. If the M2CS is $20k more than the M2C and it's comes with a CF roof, adaptive suspension etc. it's not a bad deal. But, as you know there will be a big markup for this car and its limited production makes it very hard to acquire. If it were me I'd put a tune on the M2c for power, lower the car on coilovers for a lower center of gravity and better handling.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I said up to 20%.

The fact is there is big discounts to be had, depending on your sales pitch. The most I was able to negotiate was 11% off, hence my $55,000 quote.

Cars sell and are discounted by the market demand; if the cars are in regular production and demand, the dealer would be more willing to discount to move them.

As far as the M2 CS, it's artificially limited to increase the value, so the prices will remain inflated, until they're discontinued.

I saw this just a few years ago when BMW first introduced the i8, they essentially had the plan to keep it to limited numbers and make it a halo car. This would at least hold the value of the car, even if the performance was lacking. However BMW changed their minds for whatever reason and now decided to make a lot more. So people who spent $150k for one can look at a resale value of around $80k.
You can't just drop "up to" and then add whatever number you like at the end of it. You might as well say up to 100% off and with your logic you'd still be right. There are no M2C's going for anywhere near 20% off new MSRP.
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
pz6193277.00
Luongo134.00
      11-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #28
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
Quote:
I said up to 20%.

I saw this just a few years ago when BMW first introduced the i8, they essentially had the plan to keep it to limited numbers and make it a halo car. This would at least hold the value of the car, even if the performance was lacking. However BMW changed their minds for whatever reason and now decided to make a lot more. So people who spent $150k for one can look at a resale value of around $80k.
You can't just drop "up to" and then add whatever number you like at the end of it. You might as well say up to 100% off and with your logic you'd still be right. There are no M2C's going for anywhere near 20% off new MSRP.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night, bro..

But if we're speaking in reality, you can cop the same discount you can M2C, just as you would on any other mass-produced BMW.

If you want to drink the M KoolAid and believe otherwise, then go ahead and pay full retail. I'm sure they'll throw in a free keychain for your generosity
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #29
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
I said up to 20%.

I saw this just a few years ago when BMW first introduced the i8, they essentially had the plan to keep it to limited numbers and make it a halo car. This would at least hold the value of the car, even if the performance was lacking.

However BMW changed their minds for whatever reason and now decided to make a lot more. So people who spent $150k for one can look at a resale value of around $80k.
Glad you were able to get 11% off, can't speak to individual experiences. I bought over a year ago and it was MSRP for me, which for my region was pretty much the lowest you can go. Even now, most dealerships here have an ADM on the car. No idea if those are moving off dealers floors though at that price.

However, BMW isn't going to build M2Cs at a rate where they are going to need to drastically reduce the price to get it to move. Certainly not to the tune of 20%. Could a person get that much off? I don't know, maybe. It certainly won't be common. They are simply going to slow production to meet forecast. This is especially true since the same factory that makes the 2 series makes a bunch of other vehicles. They'll just produce more of whatever is in demand at the time. Long story short, if the market demand falls, so will production.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #30
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
I said up to 20%.

Glad you were able to get 11% off, can't speak to individual experiences. I bought over a year ago and it was MSRP for me, which for my region was pretty much the lowest you can go. Even now, most dealerships here have an ADM on the car. No idea if those are moving off dealers floors though at that price.

However, BMW isn't going to build M2Cs at a rate where they are going to need to drastically reduce the price to get it to move. Certainly not to the tune of 20%. Could a person get that much off? I don't know, maybe. It certainly won't be common. They are simply going to slow production to meet forecast. This is especially true since the same factory that makes the 2 series makes a bunch of other vehicles. They'll just produce more of whatever is in demand at the time. Long story short, if the market demand falls, so will production.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the the vehicle because I'm sure when the demand was high, it sold for above sticker, all new models usually do. But as the demand subsides, the discounts increases in an attempt to push them out.

There are discounts and holdbacks the dealer are allotted by the manufacture to move slow units that can be substantial.

That's all dependent on the demand of the product and has absolutely nothing to do with the actual value or performance of such vehicle.

Couldn't find the numbers on the M2C but I'm pretty sure it's roughy the same as the chart below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      11-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #31
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
If you want to drink the M KoolAid and believe otherwise, then go ahead and pay full retail. I'm sure they'll throw in a free keychain for your generosity
FYI, it IS a nice key chain.
Poochie9103.00
      11-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
FYI, it IS a nice key chain.
LoL, I'm sure it is.. But I'll have to take your word on that.

My sales person held mines back because he supposedly didn't like the killer deal I was able to push them to give me

My girlfriend who was with me asked "Why didn't he give you the keychains" I smiled
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #33
Jarran
Fast doesn't always equal fun. But fun feels fast.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp DCT w BBK

Having contemplated on the recent M2CS info, I am leaning towards viewing the M2CS as way overpriced at the indicated 95 kEuro. Although I am confident I could secure allocation, it´s too much of a step up in price compared to getting a well specced M2C.

Currently I would opt for a M2C, adding 763 M with Sport Cup2 rubber, Alcantara steering wheel and potentially adding an aftermarket carbon fibre guerney flap. I would miss the Merano leather seats though. LBB as a colour is also something I would appreciate over MB.

Another reflection is that with the indicated pricing, M2CS steps into Porsche territory with rather fierce competition with other performance per buck options available.

However - I am still not 100% sure yet.

Former BMW M2 CS prospect, turned M2C owner.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #34
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

M2C seems like the best value proposition, no doubt. That being said, who wouldnt jump at an M2CS if it were widely available and at a reasonable premium over the M2C? But it isn't going to be widely available and it isnt going to be a reasonable premium, most likely so the M2C wins by default.

And as far as discounts go my local dealer offered me $7k off of a DCT, Executive Pkg car a couple of weeks ago. They had 3 or 4 M2's on the lot at the time and have gotten a couple more since then. Supply is noticeably better than it used to be so dealers are more motivated to move them.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #35
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:

My sales person held mines back because he supposedly didn't like the killer deal I was able to push them to give me

My girlfriend who was with me asked "Why didn't he give you the keychains" I smiled
If you got more than 1 key chain, i'm going to be .
So the sales guy said no to your deal after you all agreed to it? He's like, if I'm not getting any money, nobody is lol.
      11-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #36
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Back on topic, I hate that the HVAC system is different on these CS cars, you're charging more, a lot more, for a car and you take stuff out that, let's be honest, doesn't really lose weight, but cost less to produce. That and comfort access is gone too if i recall. That to me is a potential deal breaker.
      11-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you got more than 1 key chain, i'm going to be .
So the sales guy said no to your deal after you all agreed to it? He's like, if I'm not getting any money, nobody is lol.
It's a long story but I assure you I'm not unreasonable; I understand everyone has to eat too but when you try to take more off my plate, I bite.

To get to the best deal on a vehicle, you have to play that "hard to get" game. Just like when dating a new girl and she feels like she has the all the power.

Until you leave her side of the road and she has to call you back and reassess her worth.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5460.50
      11-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #38
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Back on topic, I hate that the HVAC system is different on these CS cars, you're charging more, a lot more, for a car and you take stuff out that, let's be honest, doesn't really lose weight, but cost less to produce. That and comfort access is gone too if i recall. That to me is a potential deal breaker.
I mean, if I'm being honest I don't much like the HVAC controls (or the entire system) in the Comp... No sync for the dual climate, auto doesn't work as well as I would like, fan speed doesn't seem to adjust on auto, and the +/- 6 degrees little dial adjustment is weird.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #39
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trust me on this, the single zone system works better and is much simpler in its method of operation.

In practice, the duel zone is doesn't work as well as single zone.

The real loss in the CS is the omitted Comfort Access feature. I would miss that. It was asinine decision to remove that, under the guise of 'weight savings'
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #40
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I mean, if I'm being honest I don't much like the HVAC controls (or the entire system) in the Comp... No sync for the dual climate, auto doesn't work as well as I would like, fan speed doesn't seem to adjust on auto, and the +/- 6 degrees little dial adjustment is weird.
Quote:
Trust me on this, the single zone system works better and is much simpler in its method of operation.

In practice, the duel zone is doesn't work as well as single zone.

The real loss in the CS is the omitted Comfort Access feature. I would miss that. It was asinine decision to remove that, under the guise of 'weight savings'
Listen y'all, my wife for some reason likes it way warmer than i do, so for me, having two zones works better than 1. In this case, it's not like a freaking race car that is losing 50 lbs by taking the HVAC completely out, it's putting in a cheaper system that, let's keep it 100, is not actually saving any weight & is most likely costing BMW less to produce and at the end of the day is marketing this nonsense as weight savings. Same with Comfort Access, I mean come on, how much does that weigh, 5 pounds? You could skip your second dessert and see the same weight savings and guess what, you can open the door without unlocking the car with a remote, circa 2003.

I do like the hood & roof though.
Poochie9103.00
Conissah1576.00
      11-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #41
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I'am very impressed with the detailed and thoughtful responses from this thread.

Honestly, when you boil down the details, it's truly a lot to upgrade to the CS. And one cannot ignore the potential >$25K savings from sticking with the C, especially when my main purpose is canyon carving.
      11-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #42
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

The whole CS lineup confuses me. Not sure why anyone would pay 30-40k over comp prices for a car that is just not that much different. My dealer has had 4 M4CS coupes just sitting on their lot for over 3 months now. I just don't get it.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #43
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
ARGH. Is this confirmed? What weight is that even going to save? 5 grams?
What a crazy idea. I love the comfort access.

In other news I walked out to my car this morning after giving it a super gleaming clean yesterday and thought how beautiful it was. I like the whole Q car thing it has going.

Last edited by Davil; 11-06-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #44
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
This looks like sex though.

Name:  01573105834.png
Views: 538
Size:  360.1 KB