05-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Ultimate Clutch Pedal

Installed my Ultimate Clutch Pedal.

Think of this as a Short Shift Kit for the clutch pedal. I had this in a previous car, and really liked the feel. Not that the M2 clutch was sloppy at all, like much older BMW's; I just wanted a shorter clutch pedal travel and a more direct and linear feel. The UCP delivered. Give it

This guy did a pretty good DIY and review. Everything holds true for the M2C.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1211871
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Its been a few months on... you still loving it?
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I had the UCP and a Auto Solutions SSK installed before I took delivery of my 2020.

Its orgasmic compared to the numb, vague OEM shifter and clutch pedal.

Shorter throws, with no excess play along with a UCP that grabs right from the floor. Can't tell you enough how different this is when done together.

I've run Rogue and UUC units in my wife's 335's and my earlier M3's but this checkmates those..

YMMV,
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 10-27-2019 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
omak81145.00
      07-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Its been a few months on... you still loving it?
Definitely! No problems whatsoever. In my M4, I feel like it helped me to shift smoother. For the M2, BMW must have worked out some of the bugs; the UCP is not necessarily any smoother in shifting, but just feels a bit more solid and has a noticeably short throw and faster engagement point. If you're on the fence, I'd do it. It's a relatively inexpensive mod, and you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Airbag79
Rep
Drives: M2C

About to do this install myself this weekend. Seems install comments are quite polarizing about the difficulty of install. I have a 2020 M2C is the camera module really in the way? Is it that much of PITA to install? TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbag79 View Post
About to do this install myself this weekend. Seems install comments are quite polarizing about the difficulty of install. I have a 2020 M2C is the camera module really in the way? Is it that much of PITA to install? TIA
It's tight in there for sure (not in a good way ), but depending on how handy you are at DIY'ing, it's one of the easier installs. It's still not easy, and takes some patience. I'd say it's much less anxiety-provoking than, say, the rear diffuser install, where you feel like you're going to break something.

One word of advice though: Read the thread linked in the original post about the over-center spring, and how to get it back on. I used that method, rather than the UCP instructions.

I'd set aside a few hours, even though it could be a 20-min job. While you're down there, may as well get some M-performance Pedals or something too Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
Airbag79
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
It's tight in there for sure (not in a good way ), but depending on how handy you are at DIY'ing, it's one of the easier installs. It's still not easy, and takes some patience. I'd say it's much less anxiety-provoking than, say, the rear diffuser install, where you feel like you're going to break something.

One word of advice though: Read the thread linked in the original post about the over-center spring, and how to get it back on. I used that method, rather than the UCP instructions.

I'd set aside a few hours, even though it could be a 20-min job. While you're down there, may as well get some M-performance Pedals or something too Good luck!
Thanks man! I will let you know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Airbag79
Rep

Install was very easy. Took me about 35 mins taking my time. Night and day better feel, clutch engagement, no more foot cramping to accommodate the extra high resting position of the OEM clutch. Anyone who hasn't done this with a manual needs to!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbag79 View Post
Install was very easy. Took me about 35 mins taking my time. Night and day better feel, clutch engagement, no more foot cramping to accommodate the extra high resting position of the OEM clutch. Anyone who hasn't done this with a manual needs to!
Just did mine today! Love the change... One thing .. the pedal hits the trim piece... Anyone also have that issue. Pretty sure the clutch is all the way out but wondering if I need to cut up the trim to be sure the pedal is all the way out... ??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After really looking at it... the pedal was touching the trim, but it was only being restricted 1-2mm in pedal stroke.

Still, I didn't want to worry about the clutch being fully engaged so I trimmed the piece a little with a Dremmel. Not the best work, but hey, its under the dash?!?

Overall I would say the install of the pedal was very straightforward. I am not particularly mechanically inclined and I had very little difficulty. As has been mentioned, if you attach the over-center spring prior to the shoulder bolt connection... its much much easier. Love the mod.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Does this change the clutch engagement point? If so will it affect the wear? I hate the high engagement point of the clutch, tried a clutch stop, helped a bit but not enough so I took it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #12
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Might need to explore this. My clutch pedal is clicking again and I'm tired of taking it to BMW. Am somewhat concerned about fitment since it appears someone had to cut a piece of the lower plastic to get it to fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Does this change the clutch engagement point? If so will it affect the wear? I hate the high engagement point of the clutch, tried a clutch stop, helped a bit but not enough so I took it out.
I'm no mechanical engineer, but I'd say it doesn't change the engagement point at all on the engine/clutch side. It does FEEL like it changes the engagement point, due to the change in shape of the compound lever arm. There is less travel overall, and the shape of the UCP is more straight, vs the 'S' shape of the OEM clutch pedal, so there is less pedal travel before it engages, if that makes sense. But I don't really know anything; I'm just on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Might need to explore this. My clutch pedal is clicking again and I'm tired of taking it to BMW. Am somewhat concerned about fitment since it appears someone had to cut a piece of the lower plastic to get it to fit.
Not sure why one person had to trim anything; I've had no problems with fitment across 2 vehicles. And the trimming seemed very minimal at worst; I wouldn't be concerned about fitment.
Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      10-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im not sure why one person had to trim anything; I've had no problems with fitment across 2 vehicles. And the trimming seemed very minimal at worst; I wouldn't be concerned about fitment.
Well actually I think I'm the second person that had to do a little trimming... I got the idea from an older post. I don't think it actually got in the way of the pedal stroke but I trimmed it just to be sure. My guess is that this has more to do with the tolerances in the trim than the pedal.

This is a great mod that I would do 10x over without hesitation. For me it's much easier to shift, especially shift quickly - and there is hugely improved clutch feel.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Well actually I think I'm the second person that had to do a little trimming... I got the idea from an older post. I don't think it actually got in the way of the pedal stroke but I trimmed it just to be sure. My guess is that this has more to do with the tolerances in the trim than the pedal.

This is a great mod that I would do 10x over without hesitation. For me it's much easier to shift, especially shift quickly - and there is hugely improved clutch feel.
I wonder if it's a 2019 vs 2020 thing; mine's a 2019. In any case, the UCP pairs very well with the AutoSolutions SSK. I had one installed, and love the combo!

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1613458
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #16
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition, HS6MT

Installed the UCP yesterday in my 2020 M2c. The installation was really straightforward just a bit of a tight space to work. There is an addendum in the kit for F80+ cars that I didn't see until I finished. It'd on a small piece of paper separate from the instructions. Figured it out regardless.

I put the spring on the "race" setting. Feels good - stiff and much shorter throw. Feels like it should from the factory. I think the race setting is a bit "poppy". I think "sport" would be perfect. If I don't get used to the pop of the race setting I'll adjust.

Feels great. Highly recommend this mod.

One last thing I'll add- I had none of the fit issues others mentioned around the base of the pedal. I think it's important to make sure the panel aligns with the center consul trim (lays under it) otherwise the whole panel won't align.
Appreciate 1
mzcp2660.00
      05-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #17
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

For those of you with the UCP **AND** the AS SSK-

Did you remove the CDV? (i.e. replace with the e90 unrestricted module)

I'm sold on the SSK, pretty much sold on the CDV delete, but wonder about the UCP being thrown into the mix with that combination.

TIA-

R.
      05-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #18
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post

I'm sold on the SSK, pretty much sold on the CDV delete, but wonder about the UCP being thrown into the mix with that combination.

TIA-

R.
Yes. Go look at my thread on this topic. Those three mods at the same time make a night and day different for the manual on this car.

CDV Removal/Replacement "Easier" Option https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1682441
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #19
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post

TIA-

R.
Yes, although I didn't do everything at once

I did the clutch slave swap (CDV delete) first

It made the clutch engagement point easier to feel and more predictable

However, it also made the clutch pedal just a little bit softer and slower to return to its resting position than before

The UCP took care of this for me and I prefer the shorter travel and lower resting position

I'm using the factory springs in the middle position

Like Malakas mentioned above, my lower trim panel also needed some minor trimming to insure there was no interference

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #20
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've done all 3, but in a step-wise fashion. Although it would have been great to do all 3 at once and save on the labor costs, that didn't happen for me On the other hand, I have a pretty good idea of the effects of each individual change.

I'd say these 3 mods have a great synergy, and they are worth doing together. It should be a "positive shift kit" or something
Appreciate 1
mzcp2660.00
      06-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
I've done all 3, but in a step-wise fashion. Although it would have been great to do all 3 at once and save on the labor costs, that didn't happen for me On the other hand, I have a pretty good idea of the effects of each individual change.

I'd say these 3 mods have a great synergy, and they are worth doing together. It should be a "positive shift kit" or something
Like you, I have done the UCP then SSK. I felt the effect of each mod.
I bought the CDV 21526785964 but did not install.
Still undecided about the CDV which I could install when I flush my brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #22
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
Like you, I have done the UCP then SSK. I felt the effect of each mod.
I bought the CDV 21526785964 but did not install.
Still undecided about the CDV which I could install when I flush my brake fluid.
If you have the ability to install it and already have the part, I'd say go for it. Flushing the fluid seems to be one of the biggest sticking points for people, and you've addressed that problem by just flushing all the fluid

The biggest difference for me was that sometimes when I thought I hit a perfectly timed shift, it wasn't smooth. I blamed myself (what else could it be), but once I did the CDV delete, my perceptions and reality merged.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 06-03-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1