BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > No joy

05-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #45
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I think it sounds good, but it's no F6 at full howl either. Our OG M2 is too quiet for my liking, but it's my lady's car, so my opinion doesn't matter.

OG M2 with MPE is very good though - I have never heard it from inside a car, only outside (where it sounds great). Most modern cars are too quiet inside for my liking.
I've been in an M2 with MPE and heard it from the inside with ASD disabled, it's loud even with the windows up. Resonator delete accounts for most of the extra volume and surprised me how much louder than the stock OG M2 it was. The only knock against it was some drone at certain RPMs, but IMO totally worth the trade off. Cold start was really loud too. Perhaps Artemis can chime in? He has the OG M2 w/MPE.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      05-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #46
Hvymdl
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

AA Mid Pipe + Bootmod3 Stage 1 tune = acoustic & driving pleasure.
And all for under $2K.

Try that before a cat back exhaust swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #47
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
I'm @ 500 miles, I agree it's not as loud and obnoxious as I thought it would be but that's why I got her

I like the sound don't love it, the burbles are new to me (growing on me)

after breakin service I WILL open the intake unit to remove a small filter, I've been told it's pure bullshit and many people remove them

Sounds the same but you feel a more "metallic" sound when shifting, maybe more turbo spooling?

if you want more sound try the low fruit before exhaust? that's what I'm doing

Side note: I do feel the clutch/whole car is now working all together now, @ 100 miles car felt like a bunch of parts NOW more of a unit if that makes any sense, or I suck at manual (15 year absentee) maybe just now learned to drive it smoother?
You could take the engine cover off or just remove the sound insulation on the inside of the engine cover for some more noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #48
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You could take the engine cover off or just remove the sound insulation on the inside of the engine cover for some more noise.
Or just trade it for an STI. You can barely hold a conversation in one of those at highway speeds.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #49
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Quote:
Or just trade it for an STI. You can barely hold a conversation in one of those at highway speeds.
Even some of the BMW-derived Mini Coopers also is excessively noisy inside.. Especially the JCW model..

Sounds good but the drawback is on Bluetooth calls, very few on the other end can hear your conversation on most highway drives or anything above 2,500 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #50
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Even some of the BMW-derived Mini Coopers also is excessively noisy inside.. Especially the JCW model..

Sounds good but the drawback is on Bluetooth calls, very few on the other end can hear your conversation on most highway drives or anything above 2,500 RPM.
So interesting. In my wife's F80 I cannot tell when she is in the car or at home. The Bluetooth mics in her car are probably the best I've ever heard. I've had conference calls where people asked me why I was yelling (thinking they couldn't hear me). Brought my voice to a normal level, and no issues. My old Camaro in the other hand, I had to practically scream to get anyone to hear me.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #51
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So interesting. In my wife's F80 I cannot tell when she is in the car or at home. The Bluetooth mics in her car are probably the best I've ever heard. I've had conference calls where people asked me why I was yelling (thinking they couldn't hear me). Brought my voice to a normal level, and no issues. My old Camaro in the other hand, I had to practically scream to get anyone to hear me.
Yes, BMW does it pretty well; there are two mics (driver & passenger) and the tier of body sound insulation varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Never been in an M3 with a stock exhaust but I imagine it isolates background noise very well for calls, considering the caliber of vehicle.

Getting my first vehicle with Bluetooth, I didn't realized that sound insulation was a thing until I alternated vehicles, which then other parties started commented how much less background noise there was over regular calls.... :
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #52
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Stock exhaust is pretty quiet. What's worse is, even in Sport+ the valves close very frequently. If you manage to keep the valves open all the time either via unplugging them or via Bimmercode or some other tool, you can get a bit more volume but coming from an M4 with MPE, it's nowhere near the volume that I'm used to. I just ordered Remus Race axle back and AA midpipe. Hopefully, this combo will open it up quite a bit.
Appreciate 1