BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Knock Detected?!? with BM3 Datalog links

06-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #45
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
As many of you who peruse this forum sub group know, I recently bought a BM3 license and flashed the Stage 1 91 AKI OTS tune.

I also setup a Raspberry Pi as the OBD Agent, and can therefore easily capture data logs while on the move using my phone's WiFi hotspot.

I'd posted a link to my first log a few days ago, which didn't have any hard pulls in 3rd gear with DSC off as is normally requested, so it wasn't that relevant.

This morning though, I was able to get a couple of pulls in the correct gear from ~2,500rpm to Redline with DSC off, and I captured the logs accordingly.

I've not found a way to extract just the important sections, so the log is full of some driving around looking for an opportunity to do the pull. In any case, there is a 3rd gear pull in each log:So my question, besides if these logs look generally OK, is should I be concerned about the trace for 'Knock Detected'.

In the first, longest log, which is just over 12 minutes long, I see 'Knock Detected' on four occasions, but each with a number lower than 1.0. These occasions also don't seem to correspond to an engine speed, throttle position etc. Though they are all during acceleration.

The second log, at just over 5 minutes, has 5 instances of 'Knock Detected', the first of which is at a low speed, with low throttle position and low load.

The third log, is only 1.25 minutes long, but has a 'Knock Detected' instance during what looks like overrun.

Any feedback on these logs would be most welcome!
After flashing
KR lower than 3 is harmless and the ECU will use it as feed back and self adjust as you drive it.

Drive for a bit and check log again.

The KR you need to worry is runaway KR (Where starts low and despite retard the KR increases)
That must be addressed.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 09:01 AM   #46
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

One good way to knowing if your KR is excessive is to use ISTA and look at your fuel quality.
if you know you are using is 93 but the car registers as low octane its likely the calibration needs a little work.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #47
Brevin335
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
There are several sections of WOT in my logs, and I've gone through and isolated the WOT instances with 'Knock Detected'.

There are four instances with 'Knock Detected' at WOT, and these are with the stock tune, running only Shell V-Power.

Three are within half a second of one another, and between 2431 and 2582 rpm, boost rising from ~11psi to 13psi, and load target rising from 150 to 163.

The other one time is at 4865rpm, 15psi boost, and a load target of 171.

I'll try to log some more WOT pulls at some point, but it's actually harder than I thought to find a location and time to pull from 2,500 to 7,000rpm in third!

Hey Nezil did you happen to find out if the knock occurrence was normal on regular light driving? I am having the same issue on my N55
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 04:41 AM   #48
Reu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2018 & BMW F30 328i

I'm having the same issue on my 328i.

posted a thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2024719

Would appreciate some feedback to this matter.
Appreciate 0