BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > thinking of getting one

10-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

thinking of getting one

hi,

so I'm looking at getting back into Bimmer... used to have e90m3 (ess SC'ed), F80 when it first came out, had a few vette's in between, and lately had a 997 4s.

A few questions for you gents. I test drove one the other day (Hockenheim color), manual (naturally)...

1. It seems that the manual stills shifts too abruptly... I only had my F80 for 4 months due to that reason, really crappy shifting... did they figure out how to tune it out?
2. What's this about ECU locking?? I was hoping to do a CS tune or something (which I've been curious about since the option became available after I sold my F80)... so am I SOL again? I want a balanced car, not looking for crazy tunes, but the stock car felt kind of slow.
3. Any things to be aware of?
4. What would you recon m2 would depreciate in a year?
5. Any dealers sell at invoice in tristate? I found one $2500 off msrp.

My search actually started with AMG GT-S (used), but most cars are out of warranty, have bunch of issues, and its too flashy for work. Also wanted a viper, but most are out of budget... then wanted 991.2, but prices are in a weird place with the new 992 being just out (new 992 starts at 105k, with 991.2's still in the 90's). C8 won't be out for another year, and m3 is still not out. The idea is to get m2c for a year, try not too loose too much money, and get m3 or c8 when they are available.

thanks
      10-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I'm in the same boat as OP. Recently drove one and may only have a short time to grab it.

I also found the clutch engagement to be rough. Thought it might just need break-in? Also felt like it needed a much higher clutch stop. I'm also kinda short and found my elbow kept bumping the armrest making it hard to reach the shifter sometimes. I may have just been sitting too low due to the long clutch travel throwing my positioning off.

For mine they indicated they might do $60k or better (on 62700 MSRP) if I acted quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I have a friend who just put in a PO for a C8 and is expecting it in December. At least that's what he claims, maybe you should look more into Ford dealers?

He went to the biggest one in NJ. I forget the location.
EDIT: He went to the Paramus location.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB View Post

I also found the clutch engagement to be rough. Thought it might just need break-in? Also felt like it needed a much higher clutch stop. I'm also kinda short and found my elbow kept bumping the armrest making it hard to reach the shifter sometimes. I may have just been sitting too low due to the long clutch travel throwing my positioning off.
Ditto this. I'm only 5'7" and I have to sit at max forward and lower height settings and my left foot is still having issues with consistent smooth shifts.

Last edited by MMMBRAP; 11-03-2019 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I’ve had a manual for 12 months and love the change, particularly when not pressing on. If you’re not in sport plus, it’s incredibly smooth when driving normally.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I would venture you were in Sport + on the motor when test driving. If you are in Sport or God forbid, comfort, then there is no spike on the throttle. The Sport + can be touchy if you aren't used to it. As far as power, if the car you had was brand new & not broken in, you probably weren't really pushing it from the dig. The car will push you back in your seat. In terms of tuning, I wouldn't do it if you are planning on selling the thing in a year anyway. You might actually really love the car and not trade it in, who knows?
      10-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

1. It seems that the manual stills shifts too abruptly... I only had my F80 for 4 months due to that reason, really crappy shifting... did they figure out how to tune it out?

First to second gear shifting has been an issue on M cars ever since the S54 and there's nothing you can really do about it. M2C MT comes with rev match which you can code out. Can always consider a short shifter kit by UUC but for a car you will keep for one year, probably not worth it. Considering the short time you're planning on keeping it, DCT wouldn't be a horrible choice.

2. What's this about ECU locking?? I was hoping to do a CS tune or something (which I've been curious about since the option became available after I sold my F80)... so am I SOL again? I want a balanced car, not looking for crazy tunes, but the stock car felt kind of slow.

M2 Competition stock is by no means slow if you have everything on Sport Plus and traction on MDM. Perhaps you had that impression because the ECU adapts to driving style, and assuming you tried it at the dealership, people don't really push the car to its limit and that's why it could have felt slow.

ECU is only OBD locked from March 2019 istat update. Afaik, many M2C prior to that date are still available on the market. I received my M2C in April but still had the November 2018 update. Either way, you can still tune the car even with the new update. Physical ECU need's to be extracted from the car though which is more inconvenient over a straight up laptop+enet cable+obd plug automatic tuning. Semi-official M2 CS tune should arrive after the M2 CS releases which is still in a while.

- If you tune your car you might want to consider installing a crank hub fix
- Strongly suggest installing a physical ASD bypass or coding ASD out. More so if you have an aftermarket exhaust.
- AA mid-pipe is the best exhaust mod you can do
- M2C seats are in Dakota Leather which isn't as good as M4
- M2C doesn't have adaptive suspension
- US Cars don't have OPF like European cars
- M2C Manual has rev-match

- Hard to tell but I'd imagine it will be slightly better than the OG M2 depreciation curve.
- Considering the direction new BMW M's are taking (new M4 for example), current models will probably hold value better.

In Europe you can make use of 'long-term renting' formulas where you pay a fixed monthly fee with insurance, road tax and maintenance involved. You can change car after 18 months. Dunno if you have this in America but it would fit your situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

For the clutch 'issue,' get the BMS clutch stop. It significantly reduces the length of clutch throw. Rather than the clutch engaging at 30-45mm off the floor, it's now closer to 10-15 mm off the stop. Makes shifting so much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
hi,

so I'm looking at getting back into Bimmer... used to have e90m3 (ess SC'ed), F80 when it first came out, had a few vette's in between, and lately had a 997 4s.

A few questions for you gents. I test drove one the other day (Hockenheim color), manual (naturally)...

5. Any dealers sell at invoice in tristate? I found one $2500 off msrp.

My search actually started with AMG GT-S (used), but most cars are out of warranty, have bunch of issues, and its too flashy for work. Also wanted a viper, but most are out of budget... then wanted 991.2, but prices are in a weird place with the new 992 being just out (new 992 starts at 105k, with 991.2's still in the 90's). C8 won't be out for another year, and m3 is still not out. The idea is to get m2c for a year, try not too loose too much money, and get m3 or c8 when they are available.

thanks
I've driven a ton of cars over the last 20 years as a HPDE instructor. So I'd like to think I'm a decent judge of how a car "feels".
The 6 spd linkage and shifter are just above Avg IMHO in the M2.

What I did was order both the UCP; http://www.ultimateclutchpedal.com/ and the Auto Solutions custom SSK. http://www.autosolutions.net/.

I had them installed before I drove the car off the lot. Incredible upgrade and well worth the expense.

I finished the upgrade off with a Raceseng shift knob. https://www.raceseng.com/

Enjoy!
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0