BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Price Released For Canada

05-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #111
SaabFanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
As I was waiting for my M2 to arrive, I test drove the RS3 (new version) with the wife as she was looking for a new car. It was fast in a straight line. Car was horribly fake sounding (assuming they have some same crap version of ASD). Digital dash was just a distraction. Cornering was ..."meh" (body roll, understeer)...and...it smelled funny (that may have been the sales guy in the back - either bad cologne or he crapped himself when I almost had us up on two wheels - not sure which) In the end the wife went with a new GTI. Reason... No MT in the RS3. That's my girl.
Would have made more sense to buy the golf R.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #112
ScreamingChicken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MG MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
AWD is not a substitute for winter tires, so I'll let you think about that one for a little while. I mean it is ultimate fanboyism to start mentioning rwd is better in winter.

You can't see it anyway. They do it to mitigate understeer (and it works) and it's somehow weird yet every M car or AMG pretty much ever has the opposite to mitigate oversteer, and that's totally fine .

No they did that already. Like less than a year ago.
No I say this on experience. Probably way more than you. I've never ever got stuck in any of my RWD Bimmers (5 of them). With good snow tires my car drives like a tractor. I didn't say it was better than AWD either. I just said I read an article where around a course the AWD was at a disadvantage. If I could find it I'd link it.
I think both of you are right. With snow tires on my rwd BMW I've gotten around plenty of stuck front/all wheel drive cars presumably with all seasons. The comparisons I've seen pit awd/fwd with all seasons against rear drive with snows. In that case the "surprising" result is rear drive with snows is better.

However if rwd with snows vs awd with snows I'm guessing awd would win. I don't think we'll see comparisons with same tires because that won't sell more snow tires.
Appreciate 1
Kid Eh570.50
      05-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #113
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Two things I noticed that seem odd.

Aside from the tire size that's already been mentioned, the 437M wheels say they come with "Perf. Non-RFT" while the 788M wheels just say "Perf.Tires".

Harmon Kardon which was once standard is now a $1k option. Weird.
Very weird.

Thank goodness M cars don't get run flats.
Tag18353.50
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      05-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #114
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Not sure if this has been covered within another thread but just got this moments ago from my SA.

See the full PDF here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Odc...EEH5DN0Vm/view

Attachment 1820947
Hmmm. At current exchange rate, that's 55k US.

Citizens only? Residents?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #115
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Go check Chris Harris Topgear review of M2 and cheaper but faster RS3 and happiness levels after driving. He was much happier when driving M2
And it was an instrumented test...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #116
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Since this is becoming a RS3 tread..

BTW, at 65k US; even if they could fly, Audi can keep it..
Speaking of rs3 thread. See the sub 10 second rs3? Would that constitute flying?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #117
M2COMPHAMILTON
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 COMPETITION

Does anyone know what the storage compartment option is for 350$ ? What does it include in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #118
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Back to pricing. That is a big jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Its a big jump, but you also get LED's standard, new forged wheels standard, sport seats standard, brake option standard, and much more that wasnt included on the old M2,

markets where the MSRP doesnt go up, will just have those features as optional with extra cost.
CarPlay is also now standard for CAN. Big take away here is a fully loaded M2C is thousands less expensive than a no option stripper M3 or M4. Very few people thought that was going to be the case.
You gotta remember though, base stripper M4 is reasonably well equipped and pretty similar to a "fully loaded" M2; you get nav and HK standard along with features like a CF roof that you'd need to buy as a M performance part.

On a side note, anyone thinks the M Sport brake with 400mm rotors may actually be a "bad" thing for those who track? I doubt those huge calipers would fit 18 inch wheels, which is what most go for as a track day set up. If you go 19 inch, selection of good track tires is not plenty. Furthermore, I'd imagine the huge rotors to weigh a good amount more with heavier calipers. Perhaps in this case it's more of a form over function since the standard 380mm kits are already large in size and adequate with decent pads?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #119
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I was going to say. Nobody gets a Porsche at bare bones pricing. There are extra options on the Cayman that really aren't options. You're more or less forced to buy them.
Well, not really, you can order a base car if you want, but there is some stuff that a 75k car doesn’t come with that is a little bit crazy and found on most cars half the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #120
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Quote:

Since this is becoming a RS3 tread..

BTW, at 65k US; even if they could fly, Audi can keep it..
Speaking of rs3 thread. See the sub 10 second rs3? Would that constitute flying?
At 3.9 seconds to 60 is incredibly fast but it's not my style. I'm a RWD, 6 speed kind of guy. Respect to Audi though, it seems like it could take on any current stock BMW outside of the F90 M5.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy730.00
      05-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #121
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurdium View Post
You gotta remember though, base stripper M4 is reasonably well equipped and pretty similar to a "fully loaded" M2; you get nav and HK standard along with features like a CF roof that you'd need to buy as a M performance part.
Like for like, M4 is another 8300(ignoring the 6500 comp pack). But like you said you get things like carbon roof, carbon trunk, merino leather, etc. Price difference makes since, as the M4 is a higher end car. Point I was making, if you go back to pricing estimate threads. Many members were very adamant a fully loaded M2C would easily be in M4 money. Fact is fully loaded it is thousands less than a stripper M4.

Quote:
On a side note, anyone thinks the M Sport brake with 400mm rotors may actually be a "bad" thing for those who track? I doubt those huge calipers would fit 18 inch wheels, which is what most go for as a track day set up. If you go 19 inch, selection of good track tires is not plenty. Furthermore, I'd imagine the huge rotors to weigh a good amount more with heavier calipers. Perhaps in this case it's more of a form over function since the standard 380mm kits are already large in size and adequate with decent pads?
I’d easily trade spending another $30-40 per tire for bigger brakes. I’ve seen first hand what happens to standard steel brakes on the M4 at COTA. Not like it use to be, there is many more R compound tires to choose from in all sizes. With more and more performance cars coming from factory with larger wheels. Get a nice set of Apex 19’s with some R888, you are in business.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:21 PM   #122
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
At 3.9 seconds to 60 is incredibly fast but it's not my style. I'm a RWD, 6 speed kind of guy. Respect to Audi though, it seems like it could take on any current stock BMW outside of F90 M5.
+1. Respect is given, but not my style.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #123
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was going to say. Nobody gets a Porsche at bare bones pricing. There are extra options on the Cayman that really aren't options. You're more or less forced to buy them.
In one way it is nice, since you can really tailor your spec exactly to your liking. But it can quickly get out of hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #124
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Truth. They're the kings of price gouging by giving you nothing standard. My old man's Boxster S' original owner dropped $45k in options (!!!). That's almost 50% of the car's MSRP... And then only put 3000 KMs (not a typo) in four years lol. Money ain't a thang.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
Tag18353.50
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      05-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #125
Absurdium
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Like for like, M4 is another 8300(ignoring the 6500 comp pack). But like you said you get things like carbon roof, carbon trunk, merino leather, etc. Price difference makes since, as the M4 is a higher end car. Point I was making, if you go back to pricing estimate threads. Many members were very adamant a fully loaded M2C would easily be in M4 money. Fact is fully loaded it is thousands less than a stripper M4.

I’d easily trade spending another $30-40 per tire for bigger brakes. I’ve seen first hand what happens to standard steel brakes on the M4 at COTA. Not like it use to be, there is many more R compound tires to choose from in all sizes. With more and more performance cars coming from factory with larger wheels. Get a nice set of Apex 19’s with some R888, you are in business.
The price difference is 7100 and as a more realistic local scenario, you cannot apply the BMW Car club of Canada (Trillium in Ontario) discount on the M2 (assuming this will be the same case with the M2C) where as you are able to on the M4/M3. This would further bring down the gap and given the probable reluctance of dealers to discount the M2C, I would say the two models work out to be very similar in price all things considered. However I definitely agree that it is a much nicer price-point than most had anticipated; this is great news for us enthusiasts.

I've not been to COTA so I cannot comment on the performance of the F8x brakes there. Were you running a track pad however? I thought the general consensus is that the stock F8x brakes with track pads is very good. Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe that the M2 competition brakes will out perform the 4pot/2pot F8x brakes in terms of track performance. I'm just curious how big of a difference they'd make over an already capable system while bringing some clear negative down sides such as tire/wheel selection and weight; those with 18 inch wheel sets will need to get a new set. In a perfect world, I think it would've been better if the MSRP was lower and they made the brakes an option. I say this because I think they will still have less performance when compared to the excellent aftermarket options such as the Essex AP racing kit for serious use and the difference in MSRP could be put forth towards these kits or other mods.

Overall though, I definitely think this is a good offering and the M2 really should've came from the factory like this from the start!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:58 AM   #126
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
9% is a lot of Timmy's.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:22 AM   #127
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Not bad, that is a lot of standard equipment for $6k. Thinking US will be more like Germany, less options standard with lower increase.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #128
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly my thoughts when I read the BBK is standard in Canada. Not good for the track crowd.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Absurdium152.00
      05-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #129
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Owning both an M4 and an RS3 and having extensively test driven a 6MT M2 on the street and a DCT M2 at the track (LCMT), I think I can offer a decent perspective.

To sum it up, the RS3 is the better daily driver while the M2 is the better "fun" car. And thr M2C can only make it better.

The RS3 is clearly the faster car on the street (at speeds that will keep you out of jail ). It feels like a little go-kart, it is very agile and nimble and corners quite flat (not sure why some say it rolls too much). It launches easily and repeatadly like a rocket, not many cars can beat it at a stop light drag race. The 4-doors are also more practical while the Quattro is a great asset for our Canadian winters. LOL at whoever says an M2 will be faster than an RS3 on a snow covered track, when both are equipped with proper winter tires. And that I-5 does sound very sweet .

I however find the M2 to be the more enjoyable car to drive. While I have not yet driven the RS3 on track, I can say with relative confidence the the M2 is more fun. At the limit, the typical Audi understeer shows itself with the RS3. While some on throttle rotation can be achieved when the quattro is set to Dynamic, it is not really possible to get the rear to step out to tighten the line due to the inherent nature of the Haldex system.

I find the RS3 is a great complement to an M2/3/4 for a family than can have both, as we do. The RS3 can do things the ///M cannot and vice versa.

That all being said, if I could only have a single car in my driveway and I needed to pick between an RS3 and an M2, being a driver at heart, the M2 would get my vote.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-11-2018 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 6
Lotus99628.00
Poochie9104.50
uhn2000172.50
DaFish157.50
      05-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #130
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Owning both an M4 and an RS3 and having extensively test driven a 6MT M2 on the street and a DCT M2 at the track (LCMT), I think I can offer a decent perspective.

To sum it up, the RS3 is the better daily driver while the M2 is the better "fun" car.

The RS3 is clearly the faster car on the street (at speeds that will keep you out jail ). It feels like a little go-kart, it is very agile and nimble and corners quite flat (not sure why some say it rolls too much). It launches easily and repeatadly like a rocket, not many cars can beat it at a stop light drag race. The 4-doors are also more practical while the Quattro is a great asset for our Canadian winters. LOL at whoever says an M2 will be faster than an RS3 on a snow covered track, when both are equipped with proper winter tires. And that I-5 does sound very sweet .

I however find the M2 to be the more enjoyable car to drive. While I have not yet driven the RS3 on track, I can say with relative confidence the the M2 is more fun. At the limit, the typical Audi understeer shows itself with the RS3. While some on throttle rotation can be achieved when the quattro is set to Dynamic, it is not really possible to get the rear to step out due to the inherent nature of the Haldex system.

I find the RS3 is a great complement to an M2/3/4 for a family than can have both, as we do. The RS3 can do things the ///M cannot and vice versa.

That all being said, if I could only hsbe a single car in my driveway and I needed to pick between an RS3 and an M2, being a driver at heart, the M2 would get my vote.
So my question: M2 Comp or M4 CS?
      05-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #131
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Second Time I've seen this headlined on Bimmerpost as a "Price Increase"...

I wish folks would stop headlining these as "Price Increases". Its actually a surcharge or upcharge.

To say the upcharge is a "Price Increase" would indicate it was originally available at a lower cost...
Appreciate 1
Dabozo627.50
      05-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #132
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
So my question: M2 Comp or M4 CS?
For myself, M4CS it is. It remains quite superior to the M2C in terms of track performance and daily usability, but it is also quite costlier.

Appreciate 0