BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Can I turn off the crackle/pops/backfires on throttle lifts?

05-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #23
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

I’ve only had the car for 3 weeks, but it does get old, but then again you can quickly switch to efficient with the M buttons. The best sound the exhaust makes IMHO is the single loud pop that happens when you lift off 3/4 to full throttle. The crackles are way too predictable.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #24
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

I'm so lost-

Why buy M car but not only an M but the comp model then complain that it makes aggravating sounds from the CBE. Lol the whole reason to own a sports car is to have loud or aggressive sounds. The MPE is $5K almost why on earth would you want to detune the system to quite 🤦*♂️ down. You could have just kept the stock system on the car. Or I'm missing something here.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post

NA is just so much better! (The M3's sound on the second vid at 3:50 was especially nice!)
For the record, not all turbo-charged BMWs sounded cacophonic..

Beside the original M2, some other notable exceptions are the E92 335, specifically, the "is" version.

The 135i (N55 version), with a BMW "Performance" exhaust.

And the stock 1M.

IMHO, BMW seems to have lost their way, after they started with all this juvenile pop & burbles fanfare.. :

The low-res videos below doesn't do much justice but trust me, they objectively sound great..

Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      05-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #26
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I'm so lost-

Why buy M car but not only an M but the comp model then complain that it makes aggravating sounds from the CBE. Lol the whole reason to own a sports car is to have loud or aggressive sounds. The MPE is $5K almost why on earth would you want to detune the system to quite 🤦*♂️ down. You could have just kept the stock system on the car. Or I'm missing something here.
Not everybody is a fan of the boy racer burble fad that has take over the modern car scene.

Programmed exhaust burbles (or any burbles) on a non-exotic is a modern trend that can detract from the experience of a car. Some people would like the ability to easily turn it off without sacrificing performance.

I don't think your reading what they are saying. They don't care about the fact that a car has overrun, what they do hate is that it's identical every time for way too long because it's programmed and not natural, so you look like an asshat driving through a cemetery, parking garage, etc.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      05-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #27
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
I'm so lost-

Not everybody is a fan of the boy racer burble fad that has take over the modern car scene.

Programmed exhaust burbles (or any burbles) on a non-exotic is a modern trend that can detract from the experience of a car. Some people would like the ability to easily turn it off without sacrificing performance.

I don't think your reading what they are saying. They don't care about the fact that a car has overrun, what they do hate is that it's identical every time for way too long because it's programmed and not natural, so you look like an asshat driving through a cemetery, parking garage, etc.
I get that- more of buying an performance upgraded exhaust only to complain.

I've seen people call the M2 competition the fart machine but to fix that One needs to replace the entire exhaust from my understanding-
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #28
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
I'm so lost-

I get that- more of buying an performance upgraded exhaust only to complain.

I've seen people call the M2 competition the fart machine but to fix that One needs to replace the entire exhaust from my understanding-
Actually, if you just replace the mid-pipe, with a single pipe, that branches the two separate exhausts together and tune-out the burbles, you'll accomplish a much better sounding note.

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...m3-m4-mid-pipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #29
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
So some people mentioned being able to mess with this by tuning the car but this thread seems to say you can't tune 2020 models. Is that still true? Or is there something I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #30
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Yes, it does potentially void your powertrain warranty, whenever you flash-tune your vehicle, regardless of the reason.

There is an increment number, which tuners refer to as a flash counter, which changes, anytime the factory software is altered, even from by franchise dealer.
Yes there maybe a flash counter hidden somewhere, but it is not visible to the dealer with regular workshop ISTA software.

Unless you have a major engine or transmission failure they will never get factory level diagnosis done. And in any case they can only reject warranty on related items. What are most warranty claims on? Electrical issues, squeaks and rattles? Nothing to do with the drivetrain..

So rest easy otherwise. I'm 2 years in nearly, 1 more to go an warranty is up anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #31
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Yes, it does potentially void your powertrain warranty, whenever you flash-tune your vehicle, regardless of the reason.

There is an increment number, which tuners refer to as a flash counter, which changes, anytime the factory software is altered, even from by franchise dealer.

Unless you have a major engine or transmission failure they will never get factory level diagnosis done.
This is true but why then would anyone care about voiding the warranty coverage, unless it's something major.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #32
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle412 View Post
So some people mentioned being able to mess with this by tuning the car but this thread seems to say you can't tune 2020 models. Is that still true? Or is there something I'm missing?
Do some more searching. You can tune, just has to be bench unlocked (DME removed and flashed either at your tuner shop if they are capable or overnighted to the tuner itself to flash the tune). Can no longer tune via OBD like used to be able to (unless your DME has been backdated by said tuners through a bench unlock).
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #33
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
This is true but why then would anyone care about voiding the warranty coverage, unless it's something major.
Right. Like there's a thread a few down from this one which has several people talking about 1st gear being stuck on a brand new car and needing to replace entire transmission. So that has me a bit nervous.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #34
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Sad to say but sound exhaust note will always be the weakest part of the s55. They sound like shit no matter what exhaust I've heard. Yes you can make it sound less shitty by tuning the rice out, but void your warranty in the process. Or you can spend minimum 4K for a louder version of the pops 😂🤦*♂️. My AP1 s2k with a asura exhaust sounded 10x better and that's a Honda 😂