BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive issues

04-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

iDrive issues

I have a 17 M2. It's been sitting for a while, but I decided to drive her today. I have an issue with the iDrive select working. When I push down on the I drive button, it does not select. Sometimes, if i push very hard, it will work. The really odd thing is that after about 30 minutes, it starts to work properly again. Or at least closer to normal. Any idea? I'm not trying to take this to the dealer right now, nor do I think they would warranty anything on my car at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I have a 17 M2. It's been sitting for a while, but I decided to drive her today. I have an issue with the iDrive select working. When I push down on the I drive button, it does not select. Sometimes, if i push very hard, it will work. The really odd thing is that after about 30 minutes, it starts to work properly again. Or at least closer to normal. Any idea? I'm not trying to take this to the dealer right now, nor do I think they would warranty anything on my car at this point.
To me it sounds like the controller itself is at fault since it will work if you press it really hard, and if it was the idrive unit at fault it would either work intermittently or not at all regardless of pressure.

I don't think ISTA would show any codes for this, but if you have it maybe there is a switch diagnostics function where it will show if the car registered anything as you pressed down on the controller (like what the older E series had with their diagnostics). This will show you if the car is registering it and the idrive is not working signifying the idrive is at fault, or if nothing is detected which could mean the controller is malfunctioning or the wiring. This could narrow it down.

Good luck
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I do have ISTA, but it's some Chinese hacked version that came with my OBD2 cable that I use for MHD. It only half works on my e46 M3, so I am scared to try it on my M2. Shouldn't this piece of shit still be under warranty? I guess I can call the dealer and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I do have ISTA, but it's some Chinese hacked version that came with my OBD2 cable that I use for MHD. It only half works on my e46 M3, so I am scared to try it on my M2. Shouldn't this piece of shit still be under warranty? I guess I can call the dealer and see what they say.
You can get the latest version of ISTA online, contact shawnsheridan.

Yeah it should be covered under the 4 year warranty that came with your m2, if you didn't exceed the mileage or warranty period.
      04-07-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

No problem!
      04-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

I hopped in the car today and turned it on to check something else. The stupid I drive button controller worked just fine. Unreal. I did download & install ISTA. Still have to finish configuration and then test / scan my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I hopped in the car today and turned it on to check something else. The stupid I drive button controller worked just fine. Unreal. I did download & install ISTA. Still have to finish configuration and then test / scan my car.
That's the worse thing that can happen, intermittent issues. IMO if it's broken just be completely broken not intermittently broken, that way diagnosis can be easier.

Hope ISTA can diagnose this issue for you.