BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The M2 and the 'soda can crunch noise' issue: compilation of some experiences

10-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #67
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I heard the crunch noise again this morning after have the bumper PPF installed. Warm shop to cold rainy parking lot and coasting forward.

I'm inclined to believe this is not the diff and either the brake dust shield or underside heat shield flexing. In every one of my cases I don't think it was related to having a rock caught as it sounds more like metal flexing vs scraping
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #68
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This thread serves the purpose of informing each other about an unusual noise generated by the M2. Cause remains unknown. If you hear it (it's a particularly peculiar sound): don't worry, do know that you're by far not the only one.
Has ANYONE had any luck in getting a BMW service rep or dealer to acknowledge this noise, the cause, and a fix? I took my car in for the 1200 mile inspection, had experienced the noise 11 times in 1200 miles, and the dealer claims no one else has experienced it, that there are no bulletins from BMW about the noise, and therefore, basically treated my like I was crazy. Obviously from the number of people on this forum reporting it, the noise and its cause is fairly widespread. I'm really puzzled why BMW seems not to have acknowledged this yet. Yes, the car is drive-able, but I'm starting to get concerned. SOMETHING metal on metal is going wrong and that can't be good.
      10-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #69
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Yes, the car is drive-able, but I'm starting to get concerned. SOMETHING metal on metal is going wrong and that can't be good.
Just the axle-back exhaust and midpipe mating.
      10-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #70
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Has ANYONE had any luck in getting a BMW service rep or dealer to acknowledge this noise, the cause, and a fix? I took my car in for the 1200 mile inspection, had experienced the noise 11 times in 1200 miles, and the dealer claims no one else has experienced it, that there are no bulletins from BMW about the noise, and therefore, basically treated my like I was crazy. Obviously from the number of people on this forum reporting it, the noise and its cause is fairly widespread. I'm really puzzled why BMW seems not to have acknowledged this yet. Yes, the car is drive-able, but I'm starting to get concerned. SOMETHING metal on metal is going wrong and that can't be good.
Asked my dealer to look into it at the 30K km service. Share the video in this topic with them and see what they say!

The problem is that we cannot reproduce it. It could be anything.

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 02:07 AM   #71
Das Kommander
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MG 6MT M2

Took delivery of my M2 on 10/27. Before leaving the dealer, I asked if my week 38 production M2 was subject to any recalls or TSBs - specifically the diff and/or rear axle bolt. They said no.

I drove home from Oklahoma to California (the scenic and twisty way -- 1600 miles). Just for the record, I heard the soda can crunch noise a handful of times -- sometimes it sounded like it came from the left rear, and sometimes from the right. Usually at low speed.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open, but am not overly concerned at this point. The car is amazing, and performed beyond my (high) expectations.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #72
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Got the car on Oct. 25 after a one year wait. About 100 miles later heard a loud noise in the back that sounded like two non-lubricated metal plates being ground against each other. Sounded like 3-4 distinct grinds. Was going about 15-20 mph slowly merging to a turn lane but not really turning yet. Once I actually started turning the noise was gone. Stopped and checked for rocks in between rotors and the heat shields but saw nothing. Took the car to the dealer. They raised it up and said that they removed a few rocks, including one from the hand brake area (not sure how that would get there). They told me that they get at least a few M cars each week with that issue from new owners. Hopefully that's what that was as the car is not subject to the differential recall. I wonder how much damage does the rock grinding do?
Other than that weird quirk, the car is fantastic. The stock exhaust sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #73
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Had the car for 2+ weeks and 500 miles. I hear the noise on a semi-regular basis. Probably about a dozen times by now.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #74
PHATMM
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

So this is what this horrible sound is. I've been hearing this on and off since I purchased the car back in July. I always thought it was a car or truck that pulled up beside me. It is in fact quite loud and it is definitely a soda can crunch like noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #75
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Can crunch like noise on MT shifts?

I can swear I hear the soda crunch sound when changing gears but only if mismatch revs i.e as if trying to "chirp" the tires. Obviously I have a 6MT and it is most obvious when I upshift aggressively and the revs are not perfectly matched (usually a bit higher than the rev match would like)

At first, for several weeks, I thought it was the muffler flap opening and getting louder as part of some sort of computer engine modification to rev match but I have heard the random soda can crunch sound and it sounds very similar. The more I think about it I believe it comes from the differential. It only lasts 1/2 second. Once the revs match the rear wheels engage

Almost as is the differential clutches are not engaging initially with the increased drive shaft rotation speed ? willfully? or otherwise protecting the wheels from breaking loose. No DCS light in case you wonder. Once the diff engages I can break the tires and DCS light will come on.

I get the same noise if I depress clutch ( while car is moving), rev engine a bit, and drop the clutch. Get a crunchy noise from diff, tires wont break loose. Not that I am beating on the car but just mismatching revs by 1000 rpm or so.

My car is may 30 build and I am affected by the diff recall. Got call from dealer. Will get new diff Nov 8th.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this noise when shifting aggressively (not necessarily only when trying to chirp tires) with the manual tranny.

BTW Since 1977 all my DD vehicles have been manual so I am not a manual noobie missing or blowing shifts!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:44 AM   #76
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Heard it yesterday for the first time but it happened 3 times on a very short interval. Crunching a soda can is exactly the way to describe it. Late August build.

Happened when turning at low speeds.
      11-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #77
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I'm at 300+ miles on my MY17 week 32 build and no noises yet. Of course now that I post this I'll hear noises.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #78
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Took it to the dealership today and they suspect it is the brake dust shield on the left side. They ordered a new one and will replace it when the part arrives.
      11-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #79
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M View Post
Took it to the dealership today and they suspect it is the brake dust shield on the left side. They ordered a new one and will replace it when the part arrives.
It's not, the shields do not touch the rotors.
      11-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #80
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Quote:
It's not, the shields do not touch the rotors.
Right. According to them, one of the shields in my car is actually too far apart from the brake disk and debris gets trapped in the gap causing the noise.
      11-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #81
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Right. According to them, one of the shields in my car is actually too far apart from the brake disk and debris gets trapped in the gap causing the noise.
Hopefully it helps for your car, but it could be totally unrelated to the brake dust shields.

Keep us posted whether the noise still occurs after brake dust shield replacement.
      11-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #82
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I am convinced that the noise is NOT related to stones in the dust shield, well not in my case in the video anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #83
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Hopefully it helps for your car, but it could be totally unrelated to the brake dust shields.

Keep us posted whether the noise still occurs after brake dust shield replacement.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I am convinced that the noise is NOT related to stones in the dust shield, well not in my case in the video anyways.
I am also not very convinced that it is the cause of it but I must say that incidentally the day when it happened 3 times in a row was a rainy day and I had been driving on a road with loads of loose dirt and gravel on the surface.
      11-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #84
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

There is no way for the shields to move, be installed wrong, or bend on their own.
      11-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #85
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not sure this accumulation of experiences is getting us anywhere, but for me 11 times in 1400 miles. Ten of those times occurred while going quite slowly, twice while making a slow turn. I wonder if this is only happening while going slowly or that that is the only time we can hear it (engine noise at higher speeds).

I still haven't heard from anyone here that has had a dealer do anything other than the brake dust shield thing which I seriously doubt is the source of the problem. I never drive on gravel roads and it is very unlikely that on the paved roads I' travelling a stone is thrown up into the brakes that often, at such slow speeds, and makes that sort of noise.

Also wonder if anyone has had success getting their dealer to speak with a BMW service rep about this. Mine won't. I don't think they believe me about the noise!!

Last edited by andrettifan; 11-04-2016 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #86
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Is everyone hearing the noise while going slow, less than 40 MPH and when the rear suspension travels (compresses then rebounds) b/c of a dip in the road or turn?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #87
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Is everyone hearing the noise while going slow, less than 40 MPH and when the rear suspension travels (compresses then rebounds) b/c of a dip in the road or turn?
No dips or rear suspension travel for me. Ten of eleven times I was slowing either to a stop or making a slow turn on level pavement. iI wasn't always on the brakes; some of the time I was literally coasting to a stop. The one time I heard it when I wasn't going slow was in a straight line in third gear accelerating (not aggressively).
      11-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #88
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure this accumulation of experiences is getting us anywhere, but for me 11 times in 1400 miles. Ten of those times occurred while going quite slowly, twice while making a slow turn. I wonder if this is only happening while going slowly or that that is the only time we can hear it (engine noise at higher speeds).

I still haven't heard from anyone here that has had a dealer do anything other than the brake dust shield thing which I seriously doubt is the source of the problem. I never drive on gravel roads and it is very unlikely that on the paved roads I' travelling a stone is thrown up into the brakes that often, at such slow speeds, and makes that sort of noise.

Also wonder if anyone has had success getting their dealer to speak with a BMW service rep about this. Mine won't. I don't think they believe me about the noise!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
So far it happened to me 8-10 times since I took delivery of my M4 in June. I can confirm that in all of those cases I was moving at very low speeds (5-20mph). Finally I gave up and made an appointment to take it in. I'm 100% positive that this is not a brake shield issue as I had it before as well and know how different it sounds. My only concern is that when I take my car in, the dealer most likely won't be able to reproduce it and will claim it could be brake shield issue etc. I just don't wanna waste my time and lease miles just to hear that they can't reproduce it.
Appreciate 0