BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan S1 F87 M2 -- Exhaust, Intake and Tune

08-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #45
Gato Grande
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato Grande View Post
Is the exhaust controllable through factory sport/comfort settings?
Factory valve funstionalty is left intact, just relocated, so it opens and closes just like it would normally from the factory in the various settings.
Thank you! Things just got complicated
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #46
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
Had the Dinan exhaust on my 1M and was the best exhaust ever!!!
I was not aware Dinan made an exhaust for the 1M...

EDIT: Just checked on their website. A little pricey...
Yes sir they did! It was $1999 plus tax.
Best sound ever!

See you learn something new everyday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #47
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
Had the Dinan exhaust on my 1M and was the best exhaust ever!!!
I was not aware Dinan made an exhaust for the 1M...

EDIT: Just checked on their website. A little pricey...
Yes sir they did! It was $1999 plus tax.
Best sound ever!

See you learn something new everyday.
Better shot
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #48
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Awesome guys. Quick question, does the resonator delete add any power? Also, does it throw a Check Engine Light? What about drone? Thanks!
Resonator delete kit is strictly a sound modification. No power to be gained there. It does not throw a CEL and is emissions legal as the CAT is left intact. The factory resonator on the M2 is pretty small so I noticed no drone whatsoever in any of my driving of the car. Its more of a small volume increase more then anything.
Appreciate 3
Adem15342241.00
Bosozoku693.50
      08-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #49
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #50
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

I visited the Dinan facility for the factory tour on Monday. This was my 2nd tour, and I was very impressed (again).

Loved the sound of the M2 exhaust in "straight pipe" mode. Authoritative and loud.
Especially the braps on throttle lifts. No hint of F8x "dust buster" whizziness.

I'm just a little worried about the decibel limits on certain track days.
I hear that they check sound levels at Laguna Seca, and they'll flag you if your car is too loud.

Here's a shot of the Dinan development M2.
Attached Images

'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)

Last edited by Bosozoku; 08-24-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #51
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
High quality I won't argue with. Expensive--- Quality comes at a price but at the same time the idea of Dinan being "expensive" is starting to change a bit with increased production capabilities being realized. As an example we are offering the cheapest M2 exhaust on the market (by far) with one of the best sounds (I'm biased) as we are utilizing robotic manufacturing on some elements that allow costs to go down and production to go up. As far as performance and testing goes I will limit the topic to the M2 since thats whats being discussed but its not like we are claiming some huge gains, just real output, as limited as it may be. We are simply being real. It is expensive because of the wiring harness--- our harness cost to produce is about 4x what competitors entire systems cost. We do this so we can ensure superior drivability. To us its worth it. To others it might not be but we aren't twisting arms forcing people to buy stuff though either. Coupled with the warranty we still believe the reduced price of the base tune (same price as a 4 cylinder DINANTRONICS) is worthwhile.

The reality is that the stock turbo is too damn close to the ceiling. Plus Dinan won't drill the ECU like other tuners, so a few hp are probably left on the table. But the turbo is the main culprit, seems to me. That's why the big turbo kit (a stock turbo with tweaked internals) is where the rubber will hit the road. If those numbers are solid, even if they are not the highest around, Dinan starts making more sense, in my opinion. The quality of the components on my Dinan E36 were first rate. And the exhaust in particular was sweet.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #52
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
The reality is that the stock turbo is too damn close to the ceiling. Plus Dinan won't drill the ECU like other tuners, so a few hp are probably left on the table. But the turbo is the main culprit, seems to me. That's why the big turbo kit (a stock turbo with tweaked internals) is where the rubber will hit the road. If those numbers are solid, even if they are not the highest around, Dinan starts making more sense, in my opinion. The quality of the components on my Dinan E36 were first rate. And the exhaust in particular was sweet.
As much fun as drilling into or opening up the ECU and going the bench flash route would be the warranty implications for us make it a non-starter. I would agree though that the larger intercooler may unlock a bit of top end horsepower but ultimately the big turbo is going to be where the bulk of the power is going to be unlocked from. Given its the same engine as the M235i we expect to hit the same 445 HP/455 TRQ or more (bigger, more effective intercooler being made for the M2 then the normal N55 applications) with the M2 and the big turbo as the Dinan S3 M235i.
Appreciate 2
BruceM983.00
      08-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #53
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Never "open" the ECU; if you do - BMWNA will likely put you in a time out if anything ever happens. That is why I like Dinan, honest, affordable, and high quality. No B.S.

Plus, the exhaust pricing is silly fair.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #54
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
As much fun as drilling into or opening up the ECU and going the bench flash route would be the warranty implications for us make it a non-starter. I would agree though that the larger intercooler may unlock a bit of top end horsepower but ultimately the big turbo is going to be where the bulk of the power is going to be unlocked from. Given its the same engine as the M235i we expect to hit the same 445 HP/455 TRQ or more (bigger, more effective intercooler being made for the M2 then the normal N55 applications) with the M2 and the big turbo as the Dinan S3 M235i.
What does the big turbo do to the torque curve on the M235i? Is it much peakier? Or do you still get lots of torque down low in the rpm band and a flat-ish curve, with everything just shifted up the Y-axis?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #55
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Dinan_Engineering

You should make a modified CAT/Catless downpipe, as your only stating the legalities of your country/state.

Some countries allow for 200CEL or 100CEL high flow cats.

With that being said, if I attach a 3inch de-catted downpipe from Armytrix, will it fit? or will welding/flange? be required?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
ferdee918.00
      08-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #56
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuiet View Post
Dinan_Engineering

You should make a modified CAT/Catless downpipe, as your only stating the legalities of your country/state.

With that being said, if I attach a 3inch de-catted downpipe from Armytrix, will it fit? or will welding/flange? be required?

Thanks!
Based on what I saw on the installation instructions it will fit as long as it fits the OEM setup. The dinan resonator delete and muffler both require cutting of the factory pipe. Resonator delete only is 2 cuts, muffler only is 1 cut, muffler + resonator is 1 cut.

[CURRENT] 2016 Porsche GT4 (for sale)
[PREVIOUS] '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, '16 M2, '13 911 C2 7MT, '08 E92 M3, '07 E92 335i, '97 M3 Coupe, '95 318ti
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #57
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
What does the big turbo do to the torque curve on the M235i? Is it much peakier? Or do you still get lots of torque down low in the rpm band and a flat-ish curve, with everything just shifted up the Y-axis?
Torque curve at the low end basically remains the same on the M235i. It becomes a little flatter/fatter further down the RPM band as the power is held longer. Basically the right side of the torque curve shifts up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuiet View Post
Dinan_Engineering

Thanks!
TECHNICALLY--- modification of the CAT is prohibited on the federal level as well (go EPA!) and not a state by state thing. Technically. Its just up to the states to enforce in which only a few actually do, or rather, have the means to do so.

In regards to the Armytrix... none of our exhaust modifications are close to the downpipe, they are further downstream. So as long as the DP fits on stock piping it would fit just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #58
MGF80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Does the dinan intercooler for the m235i fit the M2?
This is my buddies M2 that had the Dinan M235 Intercooler Installed. From what I know the lower brace had to be trimmed and the intake ducts had to be
modified a bit but its totally possible. This was done @ Thompson BMW. With the heat soak issues the intercooler is a must in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #59
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF80 View Post
This is my buddies M2 that had the Dinan M235 Intercooler Installed. From what I know the lower brace had to be trimmed and the intake ducts had to be
modified a bit but its totally possible. This was done @ Thompson BMW. With the heat soak issues the intercooler is a must in my opinion.
Its doable just with some relatively major modifications (mainly the bumper). Instead of doing those modifications and making a large retrofit kit for the M2 we decided we might as well just do a different intercooler all together since there was so much going on anyway.

Not to mention the spacing under the M2 is different and is going to allow us to extend the intercooler laterally so it takes up that entire open area in the lower bumper. Its going to look pretty awesome when all is said and done.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #60
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

This kinda confirms what others like BMS have already tested; the M2 is pretty much maxed out without changing the turbo. Some gains from adding DP I suppose, but it's the same N55 with beefed up internals, so it'll theoretically hold up better to the power but that's about it and it's not like M235i's are blowing up on tunes so already seems reliable.
      08-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #61
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

12-15 hp for a tune? Seems pretty conservative.
Appreciate 1
ferdee918.00
      08-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #62
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Will the new Dinan M2 intercooler that is coming out be able to be installed without removing the front bumper cover? I know other M2 intercoolers you can can install without the removal of the bumper cover.

This is one of the first things on my list to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #63
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

IC is the first buy along with M coil overs or Dinan suspension kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #64
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Will the new Dinan M2 intercooler that is coming out be able to be installed without removing the front bumper cover? I know other M2 intercoolers you can can install without the removal of the bumper cover.

This is one of the first things on my list to buy.
Front bumper will need to be removed. The thing is massive and takes all the space given to us.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #65
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Front bumper will need to be removed. The thing is massive and takes all the space given to us.
If possible, please provide instruction on how to remove the bumper so DIYers like myself can install this on their own.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:14 PM   #66
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Suuuuuuuhweeeeet