BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Does anyone have 265/30 & 285/30 on stock wheels?

08-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Does anyone have 265/30 & 285/30 on stock wheels?

I've seen the 35 series threads, but they're too tall for my liking (and so are the 255/35 & 295/30). I know most guys don't choose this size because it's not available in the PS4S, but I wanted to see if anyone had chosen it in the Firehawk Indy or Pirelli Corsa.

The Forgelines that Dinan uses wear this size, but they're a half inch wider, so I was just wondering what they looked like on stock wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

There aren't many good tires available in those sizes. Tirerack shows 6 options, none of them being anything I'd run.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
There aren't many good tires available in those sizes. Tirerack shows 6 options, none of them being anything I'd run.
The Firehawk Indy is a fantastic tire, and the one I'll be getting.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Second that. Plus you can drive at a 30 slip angle all the time and not worry much about the cost of tires
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6632.00
      08-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
To each their own. I used them on my old Saab 93 Aero and the experience turned me away from them. I bought them as a replacement for the RE-11's I previously was using because I didn't need as much grip anymore, wanted something that lasted longer, but still looked like a race tire.

Well the Indy's hydroplaned like hell. The RE-11 did too, but I was hoping the Indy's wouldn't. They also didn't have as much grip (obviously) but that caused them to spin all the time after a few months of use, which led them to wear away only slightly less rapidly than the RE-11. I'd imagine this is be even more of a problem on the M2, since you can't rotate tires front/rear.

At the end of the experience, my conclusion was the Indy is a race-looking tire without the performance of one. But I dunno, my experience was about 5 years ago, so maybe the compound has changed since.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
To each their own. I used them on my old Saab 93 Aero and the experience turned me away from them. I bought them as a replacement for the RE-11's I previously was using because I didn't need as much grip anymore, wanted something that lasted longer, but still looked like a race tire.

Well the Indy's hydroplaned like hell. The RE-11 did too, but I was hoping the Indy's wouldn't. They also didn't have as much grip (obviously) but that caused them to spin all the time after a few months of use, which led them to wear away only slightly less rapidly than the RE-11. I'd imagine this is be even more of a problem on the M2, since you can't rotate tires front/rear.

At the end of the experience, my conclusion was the Indy is a race-looking tire without the performance of one. But I dunno, my experience was about 5 years ago, so maybe the compound has changed since.
Your experience is the opposite of mine. I have a good friend that has had them on his S2000 for some time now, and every time I drive the car I'm impressed (and I'm hard to impress). His previous tire was the best street tire available (71R), which was a tall order for the Indy's, but they have done extremely well.

However, I don't drive much in rain, nor do I drive aggressively in rain, so you could be correct on that front, but it won't matter to me. For the price I can get 2 sets for what the over-priced PS4S and Corsa are.

The only thing that makes me question at all is the fact that the sidewall is shorter, so removing the gap is that much harder, making the car that much lower.
Appreciate 0