BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

11-05-2016, 05:23 AM   #133
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaozao View Post
Yes but I'm Portuguese
I'm also Portuguese and also called Joćo
      11-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #134
MechEE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have the ASD bypass installed, and I still get a lot of exhaust drone at 3500-4000 rpm when cruising on the highway at high speed. Others hear the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #135
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEE View Post
I have the ASD bypass installed, and I still get a lot of exhaust drone at 3500-4000 rpm when cruising on the highway at high speed. Others hear the same thing!
Yes that is the natural exhaust sound resonating through the vehicle. Open the windows and you will hear it better!

I also have the ASD bypass harness installed. Below about 3000 rpm it is quieter (relative) after the ASD bypass and much more civilized.

I suspect above 3K rpm the exhaust valves may open and you get more exhaust sound; still less than with the ASD I believe. Others with more knowledge may wish to chime in.

It is possible the ASD by design doesn't add anything at this higher RPM level. I put the ASD bypass in early with about 200 miles on my M2 so I never really saw consistent sustained high RPMs with the ASD not bypassed.

I kind of like the exhaust sound at the higher revs! It is an M2 after all!
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      11-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #136
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
676 = HiFi sound system
674 = Harman Kardon sound system ("Top HiFi")
Technicpnp responded and said the ASD bypass is all the same regardless of audio model.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #137
carlos808
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfritz View Post
Would it be reasonable to remove a fuse to hear the car without asd prior to coding it out or bypass? Apparently fuse 122 disables the radio and asd.
Pulled fuse #122 which is green in colour rated 30amp, result = perfect natural exhaust note, the Radio is still working with no issues. Had the car less than 2 months and now all is good with the World..... :@)

Note: Stereo system is standard not H/K upgrade.

ASD see yah....

Last edited by carlos808; 11-13-2016 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #138
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I installed mine and it's worth every penny. It's loud and still sounds awesome when I want it to be, but doesn't drone much on the highway now. Excellent bang for the buck modification.

Installation isn't "hard", but it's not simple either. It involves taking your trunk trim / liner apart. I think it was like 6 or 7 pop rivets, one plastic hanger with a rivet, and a tie down metal thing that you have to pop a cover off and unscrew using torx. Oh and you have to unhook the 12v plug from the power to remove the carpeting/liner.

Not hard, but it is annoying for people who hate taking interiors apart. It took me about half an hour.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #139
riske
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 & 435d xdrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos808 View Post
Pulled fuse #122 which is green in colour rated 30amp, result = perfect natural exhaust note, the Radio is still working with no issues. Had the car less than 2 months and now all is good with the World..... :@)

ASD see yah....
Don't suppose you have fuse diagram and/or location for this ASD fuse #122
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2016, 05:18 AM   #140
carlos808
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerveli View Post
Don't suppose you have fuse diagram and/or location for this ASD fuse #122
Boot, top right behind the battery well is the fuse panel.
The fuse box at the back has a small white card, pull the card out to check the fuse diagram with #122 usually a green fuse.

Name:  IMAG0029.jpg
Views: 2731
Size:  648.0 KB
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #141
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
I contacted them this morning and Elias offered to send me a free extractor. He also sent me this diagram. I declined his offer and simply swapped the pins myself. The whole job took less than 30 minutes.

I gotta say this guy stands by his product and was extremely responsive. Highly recommended.
Indeed great service
      01-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #142
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos808 View Post

ASD see yah....
Does not work with HK system. I just tried it and there is no sound with the fuse out, pop it in and music comes on.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #143
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2

Installed the harness some months ago, works fine with result as expected.

Last month mounted an Akra evolution exhaust and found out flaps do not close anymore, always open, in any drive mode at any engine temperature. Dealer checked installation several times and did not find any error in installation.

The final idea he had, was the harness might interfere the flaps control unit, which comes with the Akra exhaust system.

Anyone here with same configuration (Akra evolution & bypass harness) facing the same issue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #144
kjjc
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

ASD is not as bad as you might think

After driving the M2 for only 2 months, I could not take the crappy HK sound system anymore. So in search of better in-car audio quality, the Etons have just been installed. I still find that there is small hiss in the sound, so I looked into the ASD removal.

Then before I decided to order the Technic ASD harness, I removed the 122 fuse for one full day. All the fake engine noise is gone. It is really unbelievable how the real engine sound is totally weak sounding. I think ASD even alters with inside-the-car exhaust note, the sound that I thought was from the exhaust coming from the rear of the car, that sound became like 40% quieter. In Sport and Sport+, the boom boom is just gone. I was not dispointed but very very surprised.

That day I wonder if I could live with this M2 without the boomy fake engine noise, and have a slightly better car audio. The answer is a big NO, even though it is fake, it adds a better sports car sensation while driving. I really need the fake engine noise to enjoy this car, even it adds some tiny hiss to the audio, so what. To my ears, the fake noise is real enough to make the car sounds powerful.

Sure many of you will disagree with me, that is your choice. The point I am trying to make is that the trend on this forum points everyone towards removing the ASD, at first I even thought of the ASD as the enemy to the audio system. But in reality ASD is not as bad as what people think. What is the point of driving a great 370hp car with little engine sound or a crappy engine sound? Why not just forget that there is even ASD, and just drive the M2 with great sounding engine? Compare it with aftermarket exhaust or even the great-sounding original M2 exhaust, they are also a sound alteration from the engine, just in an analog/mechanical way. Why not think the ASD hold similar concept, but just in a computerized way?

There are several youtube videos comparing ASD and ASD-disabled sound, they do not show how much the engine sound is really muted. They do not do the judgement. You just have to try it for your self, remove the fuse #122 and hear it, it will amaze you!!

Appreciate 8
ried791.50
BMWZ41904.00
DrKevM52262.00
D CHOI580.00
ahgood160.50
Altra265.50
Poochie9099.00
      01-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #145
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Every ASD thread should start with clarifying MY please.

2017 or 2016 makes a huge difference.
Zippster460.00
ZCMARK0.00
      01-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #146
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
I have a MY17 with HK audio and having fitted the technic PNP harness last night I know exactly what the OP means! My car is more muted & to some extent less dramatic a driving experience and I'm not entirely sure I like it.... the chicks don't want a ride in an old mans car, they like boys with fast cars - lol

Philosophically I am against the idea of digitised sound. I think of all the cars that I loved; the smells, the sounds they made and most importantly how they made me feel. I don't remember the cars that got me from A to B.

I still prefer the sound a set of dual Webber make when sucking in air but I got used to the fact fuel injection was better. I wonder if the OP has a point, in a few years will we forget about ASD and learn to like it.

If the M2 had less sound deadening I'm sure we'd hear more natural sounds from the engine & exhaust. I'm also sure there would be those, and I suspect the vast majority of BMWs customers, who would complain there was too much road noise or the exhaust droned too much.

This is the dichotomy of M2 owners I hear and meet. They want a more sporty feel but they also want something they can live with day to day. Either we want a comfortable DD or we want a full blown 'CS' track car. If you aim for both it will be a comprise to both. Maybe ASD is what makes us 'feel' you're driving a sports car but also allows us to 'live' with a DD.

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 01-06-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
Altra265.50
      01-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #147
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I have a MY17 with HK audio and having fitted the technic PNP harness last night I know exactly what the OP means! My car is more muted & to some extent less dramatic a driving experience and I'm not entirely sure I like it.... the chicks don't want a ride in an old mans car, they like boys with fast cars - lol

Philosophically I am against the idea of digitised sound. I think of all the cars that I loved; the smells, the sounds they made and most importantly how they made me feel. I don't remember the cars that got me from A to B.

I still prefer the sound a set of dual Webber make when sucking in air but I got used to the fact fuel injection was better. I wonder if the OP has a point, in a few years will we forget about ASD and learn to like it.

If the M2 had less sound deadening I'm sure we'd hear more natural sounds from the engine & exhaust. I'm also sure there would be those, and I suspect the vast majority of BMWs customers, who would complain there was to much road noise or the exhaust drone to much.

This is the dichotomy of M2 owners I hear and meet. They want a more sporty feel but they also want something they can live with day to day. Either we want a comfortable DD or we want a full blown 'CS' track car. If you aim for both it will be a comprise to both. Maybe ASD is what makes us 'feel' you're driving a sports car but also allows us to 'live' with a DD.
Really good points. We want it all.

Personally I find myself wondering how mode dependent ASD is...or whether deleting ASD would make comfort mode any quieter than stock when on long trips on the highways in cruise control. Having done the mod, could you comment on that? Do you notice the difference there?

In any other mode, I don't care, and would probably prefer to hear more engine feedback...

Been thinking about coding it out, but haven't done anything yet. It's really not offensive, and if no one told me it was there, I'd never have considered trying to change it!

Thanks for any insight
Rob - 2017 HK M2
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #148
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

How so?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      01-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #149
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn View Post
Really good points. We want it all.

Personally I find myself wondering how mode dependent ASD is...or whether deleting ASD would make comfort mode any quieter than stock when on long trips on the highways in cruise control. Having done the mod, could you comment on that? Do you notice the difference there?

In any other mode, I don't care, and would probably prefer to hear more engine feedback...

Been thinking about coding it out, but haven't done anything yet. It's really not offensive, and if no one told me it was there, I'd never have considered trying to change it!

Thanks for any insight
Rob - 2017 HK M2
Well firstly let me say that I was drawn to the ASD bypass harness rather than coding as I wanted to remove the low quality amp in the ASD module from the sound path; thus remove the hiss the OP mentioned.

Having driven about 60 miles with it today and I can confirm it is quieter in Comfort mode; which I prefer. I have not tried Sport or Sport+ yet but I can say I found ASD overpowering in these modes.

I will have to play this weekend and let you know.
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      01-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #150
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT

How so?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #151
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
+1
I'll be blatantly honest. I can't detect a hint of active sound. I've tried my best to try and listen for it. Perhaps I'm ASD deaf.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #152
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I'll be blatantly honest. I can't detect a hint of active sound. I've tried my best to try and listen for it. Perhaps I'm ASD deaf.
Sorry my bad, I meant +1 on the question How so between MY16 and 17... As to ASD I don't care and it doesn't bother me. I have the MPE so maybe that helps but the car sounds really good as is. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #153
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Sorry my bad, I meant +1 on the question How so between MY16 and 17... As to ASD I don't care and it doesn't bother me. I have the MPE so maybe that helps but the car sounds really good as is. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'
Haha, my bad also then. My '17 ASD goes unnoticed. I too have an aftermarket exhaust and perhaps this drowns out the supposed fake soundtrack. I agree, my shit ain't broke and I have no intention on fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #154
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Cruise at around 75mph on level ground with foot off throttle, then apply a tiny bit of throttle maybe to 80mph. ASD comes on with an exaggerated fake drone which does not reflect what you'd hear on the exhaust (which is almost nothing because no load).

The ASD masks the actual engine sound, so you can't be aware of what sound is being emitted externally from the car pretty much at any speed. You must roll the windows down to hear the the exhaust, but at lower engine speeds for example, the speakers will even cover that up.
Appreciate 3
No Boost4019.00
reppucci337.50
AngryBaby344.50