BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

Today, 01:24 AM   #4291
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Tesla started at least 10 years ago when German OEM been laughing at Tesla.

No German OEM will overtake Testla in the next couple of years. Made in Germany is know for craftsmanship but definitely not for software development.
Who cares about software development (I say that as a developer)? Making a good electric motor and wiring a bunch of power tool batteries is the most important part of an EV. BMW does need to improve their autonomous driving features as some people seem to care about not driving their cars. Electric motors and battery pack design are things that any large car company could do easily.

The only reason they've been so slow in developing a Tesla killer is because creating a car with a comparable drivetrain while maintaining BMW/Merc quality would make the car cost significantly more than a Tesla. Li-ion batteries are still just way too heavy and expensive. Not sure if you've ever driven or been in a Tesla, but the interiors are significantly worse than any comparably sized and priced car. They feel more like a normal domestic car than a German luxury sedan. What happens when you make a Tesla Model S with an actual luxury interior? You get the Taycan which costs nearly twice as much.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:16 AM   #4292
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
Tesla is without a doubt ahead of the pack with EV tech, but their still comparable to a small business when you look at total sales. All I'm saying is when the time comes for all other manufacturers to shift 100% of their R&D to EV I don't see them surviving. Manufacturers are watching them play checkers in a game of chess.
Not in actual drivetrain technology. Pseudo self driving capability maybe, but actual EV hardware, not really. Any of the major manufacturers can build a car at less cost than Tesla for the same (low) quality level.
Appreciate 0