BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Mobile Pressure Washer for Apartment Use - No Water / Power Supply

05-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #23
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Main real danger from pressure washers that is rarely discussed or witnessed on videos is complete disregard for water ingress under high pressure.

People spraying sensors, seals, brakes with high pressure water. It's probably all designed in to cars these days but why push your luck?

As said twice now, a pressure washer is nice to have for cleaning a car, yeh quite nice tbh. Is it essential? Most definitely not.

So if you want help with work-arounds to detail without one, let us know what you can and can't do where you live and what your aims and amount of effort you want to put in are.
Sure, makes sense...

In a sense, I really just meant portable and pressurized water without a power-source. Think empty parking with no outlet (except underground)

Using something that is pressurized by hand does not seem like a feasible/easy wash and dry to me...now if there' something that is relatively cheap, easy and compact that would do a better job
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 05:37 AM   #24
spookyzeus
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 - LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Please do provide some evidence that a pressure washer is dangerous and poor technique?

Obviously if its 90000 psi you can do damage...
To be honest I'm not interested in finding/proving or posting any such evidence...It is, as stated, purely my opinion.
I do use a pressure washer myself as it does have it's uses but I personally find it useful for prewashes and unable to beat a hand wash done correctly.

Please do not allow my opinion to deter you from using your own chosen wash technique.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
lax01792.50
      05-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #25
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Your best bet from what you describe and I've been there and done this is buying optimum no rinse (or if you like the look of/review of another no rinse product).

Get one of those hand pressurised pump sprayers for detailing or gardening.

Pre soak the car using it with optimum no rinse.

Also with you is a bucket full of water and optimum no rinse and a Microfibre wash mitt.

Using your mit make single passes (don't rub over same area again and again) I'm the direction of back to front or front to the back of the car.

Work from top to bottom.

Have a different mit or sponge to use just for the wheels, using the last of the mix in your bucket.

If your car is more heavily soiled something like a portable washer as discussed might be nice to have.

Or just pay a local outfit or detailer you trust for a basic maintenance wash every few weeks?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:10 AM   #26
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your best bet from what you describe and I've been there and done this is buying optimum no rinse (or if you like the look of/review of another no rinse product).

Get one of those hand pressurised pump sprayers for detailing or gardening.

Pre soak the car using it with optimum no rinse.

Also with you is a bucket full of water and optimum no rinse and a Microfibre wash mitt.

Using your mit make single passes (don't rub over same area again and again) I'm the direction of back to front or front to the back of the car.

Work from top to bottom.

Have a different mit or sponge to use just for the wheels, using the last of the mix in your bucket.

If your car is more heavily soiled something like a portable washer as discussed might be nice to have.

Or just pay a local outfit or detailer you trust for a basic maintenance wash every few weeks?
Yeah, I have ONR...what prompted this post was that my car was FAR too dirty for even an aggressive ONR 2-bucket wash
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #27
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Sucks then without damaging car as onr has its limits

Coin operated pressure washer?

Pay to use a driveway lol?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #28
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sucks then without damaging car as onr has its limits

Coin operated pressure washer?
Hah, I did this...and then was going to do ONR and completely forgot and now the car has sat for 2-3 weeks

Fortunately, it's white and looks pretty clean even just after a quick rinse with a pressure washer...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #29
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

How lond do you have with the coin operated systems? We have them in the Uk but not as much an institution as with other countries judging by videos i've seen of the types of good setups.

Suppose you need a quick effective safe technique.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #30
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
How lond do you have with the coin operated systems? We have them in the Uk but not as much an institution as with other countries judging by videos i've seen of the types of good setups.

Suppose you need a quick effective safe technique.
In LA, there's a ton....I think I spend 6 or 7 minutes and paid $5 haha
Appreciate 0