BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Milltek catback? (vs. Remus?)

05-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Milltek catback? (vs. Remus?)

I have an Awron gauge with exhaust valve control function built-in. So I've already got the options for open/closed/auto with the factory valve. I don't want anything that uses some other form of valve control.

I really like how Remus adds a second exhaust valve (that is still controlled by the stock electronics) to their catback. I was considering it, but a little concerned about the volume and drone possibility, especially since there's no direct route through any silencer in their piping. (The Remus "canisters" in the back have no flow through them, so it seems like they're just being used as resonators.)

But Remus is relatively expensive.

I finally discovered the Milltek catback, which seems pretty similar, except it routes some flow through the rear muffler instead of using resonators.

Do we have many people here running the Milltek? I searched and found the original thread where it was being developed, but not a lot in the way of sound clips / videos / impressions / etc. Has anybody heard both of them in person?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Can't comment on Milltek but there is no drone with Remus. Highway cruising is nice and quiet. The canisters act as Helmholtz Resonators which cancels out drone.

There's a very noticeable difference with valves closed and opened as well even though it's not a true silencer muffler design. Due to this fact with valves closed I guess you can describe the Remus as still a tad bit on the aggressive side but by no means is it uncivilized. I always go valves closed and comfort mode in the neighborhood and it's very quiet and tame.

Btw I am catless but had the same experience with a sport cat as well.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      05-21-2020, 03:37 AM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Can't comment on Milltek but there is no drone with Remus. Highway cruising is nice and quiet. The canisters act as Helmholtz Resonators which cancels out drone.

There's a very noticeable difference with valves closed and opened as well even though it's not a true silencer muffler design. Due to this fact with valves closed I guess you can describe the Remus as still a tad bit on the aggressive side but by no means is it uncivilized. I always go valves closed and comfort mode in the neighborhood and it's very quiet and tame.

TBH, my two complaints about Remus are price and tip selection, and it's mostly about the price. The Remus with the tips I'd choose is almost $1k more than the Milltek, at least, using Extreme Powerhouse as a general price guide.

I don't really care how the back section is designed as long as "it works like they say on the box."

I would expect the Remus has better build quality than Milltek, but $850 better?

Last edited by ZPrime; 05-21-2020 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post

TBH, my two complaints about Remus are price and tip selection, and it's mostly about the price. The Remus with the tips I'd choose is almost $1k more than the Milltek, at least, using Extreme Powerhouse as a general price guide.

I don't really care how the back section is designed as long as "it works like they say on the box."

I would expect the Remus has better build quality than Milltek, but $850 better?
If it were me and I somehow ended up deciding between those two, I would lean towards Remus still because the build quality is leagues above Milltek. I never liked Milltek's finishing. Looks cheap and the pathways for the exhaust being straight 90 degree bends when valves are closed just look so cheap.

If it's any consolation you can get the Remus with CF tips for about $3k "street" price during the holiday sales or when Remus throws their sale. Not sure the street price on the Milltek though.

That's my 2cents ultimately only you can decide for your financials. It's definitely a purely aesthetic and sound mod. I would choose Dinan over the Milltek or just a sport cat and stock exhaust than go with Milltek just because personally I just can't stand how their exhaust looks lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I also can't comment on Milltek but agree with nioh_lbbm2, there is no drone with Remus. Cold start ‘might’ be a little loud for the 0600 start up in the morning but quietens down quickly. I always stay in comfort until the engine warms up and by that time, I’m out of the neighborhood. At highway speeds, I really can’t hear anything cruising in comfort mode and if I’m listening to a podcast, I hear nothing but the audio.

I agree that the CF tips are overpriced but what can you do. I wish the tips for the outer pipes were a little longer at the bottom so they would look better when viewed from the side but all manufactures seem to do them the same way. Bad example of what I’m talking about below:
Attached Images

Last edited by dtmurf; 05-21-2020 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I actually don't like the CF tips on any of them.

I want black... The only black tips Remus offers are the weird double-wall kind and it has their name plastered on the top. I don't like providing free advertising for a vendor unless they're giving me a discount.

I actually like that those particular black Remus tips are a smaller diameter and straight - similar to the stock exhaust. The Magnaflow I have on the car now has larger polished stainless tips and I'm not a big fan of the larger size.

I'm now kind of curious about weight. Extreme Powerhouse says Remus is 40 pounds and Milltek is 70... if that's accurate, that is significant for exhaust. But I wonder if the difference is due to tube wall thickness. I drive the car year round... and stainless isn't supposed to rust, but with Cleveland salt, it will rust some. So thicker is actually a plus here if you don't want holes in your exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer both, Milltek is a respectable business with quality exhausts at a competitive price.

In terms of sound and quality, REMUS is the best in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Thevesh30.50