BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Inner Diameter of Pure Inlet

04-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Pure V1 - bottom coupler that you cut yr oem inlet pipe

Pure V2 - as per V1 but you buy it pre-installed into oem inlet pipe - FWIW I had this on m135i and now have it on my M2.

Pure V3 - whole pipe one piece replacement 2 releases earlier (V3a) - w/o support bracket and current (V3b) - with support bracket
Cool. I have V3 sitting on my desk ready for install.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #24
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadRabbitM2 View Post
ZM2 so is MST v2 the same size as Pure v1 and v2 ? I went to their site and there is nothing available to determine the measurement.

( I have pure v1)

Thanks
AmuroRay emailed MST to get the measurements.

I ended up going with the Pure full inlet pipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:09 AM   #25
ALO_21
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Pure V1 - bottom coupler that you cut yr oem inlet pipe

Pure V2 - as per V1 but you buy it pre-installed into oem inlet pipe - FWIW I had this on m135i and now have it on my M2.

Pure V3 - whole pipe one piece replacement 2 releases earlier (V3a) - w/o support bracket and current (V3b) - with support bracket
Here is a pic of the latest Pure version with support bracket purchased in April 2020.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      05-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #26
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALO_21 View Post
Here is a pic of the latest Pure version with support bracket purchased in April 2020.
The one pictured on their website does not show the mounting bracket for securing it to the turbo housing. If you order the one shown, do you get the one with the mounting bracket?

http://pureturbos.eu/n55-f-series-full-inlet-pipe.html
      05-01-2020, 05:20 AM   #27
ALO_21
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALO_21 View Post
The one pictured on their website does not show the mounting bracket for securing it to the turbo housing. If you order the one shown, do you get the one with the mounting bracket?

http://pureturbos.eu/n55-f-series-full-inlet-pipe.html

Yes, if you order from there website you will get the one in the picture.
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      05-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #28
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Yeah, but stock actually does get even more narrow.
This is not true. It is 47mm internal width from the turbo end to the narrowest looking point (bottleneck) and then gradually opens. It actually isn't as restrictive on the inside as it looks on the outside. Ive been tinkering with inlets this week a lot. Have used the Pure V3 but had some fitment issues and problems sealing it to the intake. Cut open an OEM to study it a bit and was suprised by it actually. Now have an MST on order to test.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #29
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
This is not true. It is 47mm internal width from the turbo end to the narrowest looking point (bottleneck) and then gradually opens. It actually isn't as restrictive on the inside as it looks on the outside. Ive been tinkering with inlets this week a lot. Have used the Pure V3 but had some fitment issues and problems sealing it to the intake. Cut open an OEM to study it a bit and was suprised by it actually. Now have an MST on order to test.
When people talk about the restriction, they are talking about the turbo side, which is as small as 1.47 I thought.

Anybow, are you selling the pure unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #30
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
When people talk about the restriction, they are talking about the turbo side, which is as small as 1.47 I thought.

Anybow, are you selling the pure unit?
Yep thats what I was referring to. I had read that in a couple threads and when I cut open the OEM I found that the smallest diameter of the entire pipe is equal to the measured internal diameter at the turbo side. Ill attach a picture to show it better. Pipe is way less restrictive on the inside than it looks on the outside.

I would be willing to part ways with the Pure unit.....I lost the 3mm screw that helps hold the PCV hose in. Also had to file a small hole on the flange for the turbo bolt to sit in. This was the fitment issue that I mentioned. Seems that on the M sport Gran Coupe there is an auxillary coolant pump hose right where the Pure PCV connection is. I had to file that hole to rotate the pure unit clockwise inside the turbo to buy some space.

The screw will hopefully turn up soon lol
If you can handle those two things I would happily sell the pipe to you for a reasonable price. Still works great just not if you have that auxillary coolant pump behind the passenger headlight

EDIT: Bottom picture is of the OEM Inlet cut about 4 inches up from the bottom. Showcasing the 47mm (1.85inch) minimum diameter of the entire pipe. No real bottlenecking.
Attached Images

Last edited by ozymandias435; 05-23-2020 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #31
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
Yep thats what I was referring to. I had read that in a couple threads and when I cut open the OEM I found that the smallest diameter of the entire pipe is equal to the measured internal diameter at the turbo side. Ill attach a picture to show it better. Pipe is way less restrictive on the inside than it looks on the outside.

I would be willing to part ways with the Pure unit.....I lost the 3mm screw that helps hold the PCV hose in. Also had to file a small hole on the flange for the turbo bolt to sit in. This was the fitment issue that I mentioned. Seems that on the M sport Gran Coupe there is an auxillary coolant pump hose right where the Pure PCV connection is. I had to file that hole to rotate the pure unit clockwise inside the turbo to buy some space.

The screw will hopefully turn up soon lol
If you can handle those two things I would happily sell the pipe to you for a reasonable price. Still works great just not if you have that auxillary coolant pump behind the passenger headlight
The edge looks chewed up, can you show me another angle? Other than that, I could probably buy a 3mm at the hardware store so I guess it’s not too bad!

Did you note any changes to the WG duty cycle, or boost or anything else?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #32
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
The edge looks chewed up, can you show me another angle? Other than that, I could probably buy a 3mm at the hardware store so I guess it’s not too bad!

Did you note any changes to the WG duty cycle, or boost or anything else?
Will take some more photos in the morning. The aluminum is scratched up a little and a very small dent in the top. The O rings are all in good shape and it was only on my car for a couple weeks. Pipe is in good shape and is just scratched a little. With me having to rotate the pipe clockwise away from the coolant pump, it then became too close to the intake to where I could not get a good seal on the intake. Again if dont have this pump then nothing to worry about and the pipe will fit fine and seal to intake fine but with me having to adjust where the pipe sits I ran into those issues. All of my logs were showing some wild MAF numbers because I wasnt getting a good seal.

Oh and that bottom picture is of the OEM Inlet cut near the bottom. Showcasing the how the air would flow into the turbo and how it doesnt really bottleneck. Hopefully thats what youre referring to as chewed up edge because the aluminum just has some cosmetic scratches
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:14 PM   #33
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
MST sent me an email this morning

‘Thanks for contacting us.
Ours is direct in kit. The inner diameter of our V1 is 47mm, V2 is 56.5mm.’

Measurements in American Freedom units (Dumb, I know - but consistent)
MST V1 -1.85”
MST V2 - 2.22”
Pure - 2.27”
FTP V1 - 1.87”
FTP V2 - 2.03”
Stock - 1.83”
BMS - 2.29"
Updated