BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Question About Wraps

05-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Question About Wraps

I'm looking into getting my car wrapped, and what's giving me MAJOR pause is seeing the same wrap look like completely different colors depending on the picture.

For example, apparently these two cars are both wrapped with Avery Gloss Intense Blue, but they aren't even remotely the same shade:

Can someone talk me off the ledge here? I understand that lighting varies, but that much?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Yep, lighting is everything. Also, most vinyls are translucent, so they will change slightly depending on the color of the cars actual paint. Best bet is to order samples (only a a couple $$ each on MetroRestyling), or just go to a shop and look through their samples. Also, please please please don't go with the cheapest option. Find someone that has been around a while and knows their stuff.

I didn't take a ton of pictures the year I worked there, but these are some of my favorites.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
Ilikemike250.50
      05-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Thanks. So, for a dark gray car, how would that affect the color of a translucent wrap?

I'm using a shop here who does really good work. I've seen a handful of their cars in person and their reputation is nothing short of stellar. The guy has done some work for me previously on a much smaller scale (Track numbers, he wrapped the plastic trim on my steering wheel, etc). Heading down there this week to look at samples. But..as you said...I don't know if the sample is going to look the same on a keyring as it will on my car in the light.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Thanks. So, for a dark gray car, how would that affect the color of a translucent wrap?

I'm using a shop here who does really good work. I've seen a handful of their cars in person and their reputation is nothing short of stellar. The guy has done some work for me previously on a much smaller scale (Track numbers, he wrapped the plastic trim on my steering wheel, etc). Heading down there this week to look at samples. But..as you said...I don't know if the sample is going to look the same on a keyring as it will on my car in the light.
It'll be darker than it would be on a white car, but in general most colors are spot on what you see in person. Its' VERY VERY hard to gauge what color you like based off photos online. He should have a couple swatch books. Take em outside under the sun and get a feel for the ones you like.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      05-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
It'll be darker than it would be on a white car, but in general most colors are spot on what you see in person. Its' VERY VERY hard to gauge what color you like based off photos online. He should have a couple swatch books. Take em outside under the sun and get a feel for the ones you like.
If and when I want to change the color of my car I'm going to use this product. Its less expensive and looks awesome:

http://www.autoflexcoatings.com/
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
If and when I want to change the color of my car I'm going to use this product. Its less expensive and looks awesome:

True, only thing I dislike about these is the overspray. Everywhere there is a fine mist of it (such as jambs, bottom of bumpers, under the trunk and hood), you cannot peel it off. It's obviously not thick enough to peel, so it's just a mist that has to be removed, usually with gasoline on a rag. We wrapped a car that was previously dipped, it took me 4 FULL days of peeling the dip off, and cleaning all the edges well enough to get the vinyl to stick. It SUCKED.
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
ROASTM162.50
      05-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
True, only thing I dislike about these is the overspray. Everywhere there is a fine mist of it (such as jambs, bottom of bumpers, under the trunk and hood), you cannot peel it off. It's obviously not thick enough to peel, so it's just a mist that has to be removed, usually with gasoline on a rag. We wrapped a car that was previously dipped, it took me 4 FULL days of peeling the dip off, and cleaning all the edges well enough to get the vinyl to stick. It SUCKED.
Its all in the Vendor's skill set. If I do it I'll spend time researching the two vendors close to me. Both have done many Exotics, so I feel pretty good regarding their pre-prep setup and application
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      05-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Seeing pictures of the cars all take apart (bumpers off, weatherstripping removed etc) gives me the heebie jeebies
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      05-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post

I am talking to a local shop right now to get this done. But like the OP, I am seeing the same color look very different depending on lighting and also the screen I am looking from. I asked for some samples but the shop said it can cost them up to $50 sample depending on the amount of pearl used...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

You go to metrorestyling website and order wrap samples first. They're $1-2 each for a 3x5 sample.
Appreciate 0