BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Exhaust + Fabspeed Sport Cat Review

07-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #89
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I had the same combo installed except for the valve controller the other day. The sound this system makes with the fabspeed DP is jaw dropping… I’m not sure if the valves are working correctly tho.

Both exhaust valves are open when the car is off and after the initial warmup sequence and when idling in all modes. Is this normal behaviour? Do the valves only close above a certain rpm?

I might have to consider getting the CG Prescision controller.
Yes. The valves have a logic to them and are not binary. Generally they close partially as you drive off until around 2000 rpm in 3rd gear when they are fully closed (comfort mode)
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #90
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
2 year update:

Still love the exhaust set up and couldn't be happier. No issues or complaints what so ever. Only change I've made since adding the CG valve controller is the addition of new tips. Got tired of silver and decided black chrome was the way to go.

Appreciate 2
      09-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #91
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Looks great. You may want to consider painting your OEM diffuser gloss black. Would look awesome with gloss black tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #92
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I had the same combo installed except for the valve controller the other day. The sound this system makes with the fabspeed DP is jaw dropping… I’m not sure if the valves are working correctly tho.

Both exhaust valves are open when the car is off and after the initial warmup sequence and when idling in all modes. Is this normal behaviour? Do the valves only close above a certain rpm?

I might have to consider getting the CG Prescision controller.

I got this combo almost 2 years ago when Andrew first posted about the review
asked him several questions before pulling the trigger and he was more than helpful. The start ups are brutal, and there is no easy way around it. Even with the CG controller, I would say the noise it generates probably decreases about 20%. Still obnoxious if you are in a quiet neighborhood.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #93
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem2 View Post
I got this combo almost 2 years ago when Andrew first posted about the review
asked him several questions before pulling the trigger and he was more than helpful. The start ups are brutal, and there is no easy way around it. Even with the CG controller, I would say the noise it generates probably decreases about 20%. Still obnoxious if you are in a quiet neighborhood.
I ended up going down the CG controller route because it's a bit 'anti-social' at startup, it was definitely an improvement, but still louder than I'd like. I just put on the stage 2 BM3 tune for the cold start delete and now it's perfect for me.

The funny thing is, I was stopped by a neighbor before having the cold start removed and she was under the impression there was something wrong with my car because it was So Loud....

Andrew's writeup/videos were the main factor in going down the Remus/Fabspeed route. It may be different in person but I thought videos of other exhausts sounded raspy.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:24 AM   #94
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
So the more I read this thread, the more I think I want to go Remus.

I currently have the Magnaflow catback. It's somewhat of a disappointment. It is different than the stock exhaust, definitely a deeper tone, but I'd also say that it's actually quieter than stock. I have ASD coded off, and everything else is stock, although I also have an AWRON gauge with the exhaust flap control option, so I can toggle the flap between Auto, Closed, and Open.

The one plus to the Magnaflow is that the flap is somewhat more noticable than with the stock catback. On stock exhaust, it's actually hard to tell the difference between flap open/closed based on sound alone, unless you're parked next to a wall... and even then, I hear the noise from the flap squeaking more than I noticed a tone change.

With the Magnaflow, flap open definitely sounds a bit deeper and more throaty. But I don't think it's any louder than stock. For a daily driver / highway cruise, this is nice in some ways... no drone at 3k RPM (which is 70-80mph in 6th for us MT'ers). IMO, the stock exhaust had a slight touch of hum in that range.

But I want more volume. So I've been hunting...

One thing I don't fully understand - how the hell are the "mufflers" on the Remus actually working? It doesn't seem like there is anything forcing gas to enter those mufflers and then come back out - they just look like a cylinder dangling off the side of the pipe. How/why would gas even want to flow into them, when it can just go out the open pipe instead? Or are these cylinders used more as Helmholtz resonators, helping to cancel out unwanted frequencies without actually requiring any major gas flow through them? RemusUSA can you offer any insight into the sound design here and how these weird "dangling cylinders" are actually able to affect the tone?

Because other than the cylinders and the change from single pipe to twin mid-pipes under the car, there doesn't appear to be anything else in this exhaust that should alter sound much. It looks basically like straight pipes, but with these cylinders in the back where a normal "suitcase" muffler/silencer would live.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #95
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post

I currently have the Magnaflow catback. It's somewhat of a disappointment. It is different than the stock exhaust, definitely a deeper tone, but I'd also say that it's actually quieter than stock. I have ASD coded off, and everything else is stock, although I also have an AWRON gauge with the exhaust flap control option, so I can toggle the flap between Auto, Closed, and Open.

The one plus to the Magnaflow is that the flap is somewhat more noticable than with the stock catback. On stock exhaust, it's actually hard to tell the difference between flap open/closed based on sound alone, unless you're parked next to a wall... and even then, I hear the noise from the flap squeaking more than I noticed a tone change.

With the Magnaflow, flap open definitely sounds a bit deeper and more throaty. But I don't think it's any louder than stock. For a daily driver / highway cruise, this is nice in some ways... no drone at 3k RPM (which is 70-80mph in 6th for us MT'ers). IMO, the stock exhaust had a slight touch of hum in that range.

One thing I don't fully understand - how the hell are the "mufflers" on the Remus actually working? It doesn't seem like there is anything forcing gas to enter those mufflers and then come back out - they just look like a cylinder dangling off the side of the pipe. How/why would gas even want to flow into them, when it can just go out the open pipe instead? Or are these cylinders used more as Helmholtz resonators, helping to cancel out unwanted frequencies without actually requiring any major gas flow through them? RemusUSA can you offer any insight into the sound design here and how these weird "dangling cylinders" are actually able to affect the tone?

Because other than the cylinders and the change from single pipe to twin mid-pipes under the car, there doesn't appear to be anything else in this exhaust that should alter sound much. It looks basically like straight pipes, but with these cylinders in the back where a normal "suitcase" muffler/silencer would live.
If you want volume get a sport cat. You will be disappointed again if all you do is change the catback.
      09-19-2019, 12:37 AM   #96
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:

If you want volume get a sport cat. You will be disappointed again if all you do is change the catback.
Well, I want a little more volume, but I don't want drone, and I don't want a LOT more volume. It's my DD, I'm nearly 40, and while I'm still a child at times, it needs to be respectable.

I also don't want to worry about warranty, or pay $1k for a pipe with a new cat.

The weight savings (and rust immunity) from Akrapovic is enticing, but not $5750 enticing (best quote I've seen from a dealer).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #97
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Or are these cylinders used more as Helmholtz resonators, helping to cancel out unwanted frequencies without actually requiring any major gas flow through them?
This. The M Perf muffler seems to use the same tech since there's nothing forcing air through the canister.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #98
kempson
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi, guys I have probably similar question to F87_LCI but... Right now I have MPE + wagner 200cpi cat and this setup is great for me except driving on the highway When I go on cruise control (160km/h) around 3k rpm the exhaust is extremely loud (meaby not loud but the sound is terrible and annoying) Doesn't matter if valves are open or close. Do you have same situation with remus or not? The funny thing is that on 4rpm all is fine exhaust is quieter then on 3k :|
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #99
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempson View Post
Hi, guys I have probably similar question to F87_LCI but... Right now I have MPE + wagner 200cpi cat and this setup is great for me except driving on the highway When I go on cruise control (160km/h) around 3k rpm the exhaust is extremely loud (meaby not loud but the sound is terrible and annoying) Doesn't matter if valves are open or close. Do you have same situation with remus or not? The funny thing is that on 4rpm all is fine exhaust is quieter then on 3k :|
Lol, I don't typically use cruise control at 100mph so I can't say for sure.

What gear are you in when this happens? And do you have 6MT or DCT?
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #100
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Well, I want a little more volume, but I don't want drone, and I don't want a LOT more volume. It's my DD, I'm nearly 40, and while I'm still a child at times, it needs to be respectable.

I also don't want to worry about warranty, or pay $1k for a pipe with a new cat.

The weight savings (and rust immunity) from Akrapovic is enticing, but not $5750 enticing (best quote I've seen from a dealer).
I'll bet you would have been happy with a sport cat and stock exhaust. It's louder than stock but not obnoxious. No drone whatsoever.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #101
kempson
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Lol, I don't typically use cruise control at 100mph so I can't say for sure.

What gear are you in when this happens? And do you have 6MT or DCT?
Hehe I have DCT and it's on 7 but gear doesn't matter it depend on rpm. Also cruise control doesn't matter but this is most painful example

Last edited by kempson; 12-25-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #102
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I'll bet you would have been happy with a sport cat and stock exhaust. It's louder than stock but not obnoxious. No drone whatsoever.
+1

This is a great set up for people who are more noise sensitive. You can even throw a Dinan resonator delete on top and it will still be drone free.

Quote:
I have DCT and it's on 7 but gear doesn't matter it depend on rpm. Also cruise control doesn't matter but this is most painful example.
The only time I've noticed the remus/200cell combo drone is in MDM mode at ~2500 rpm with the valves open. Besides that it's music to my ears. I'd go out and test this for you more to double check but it's winter and my M2 is in the garage until spring.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #103
kempson
Poland
Rep

Quote:
+1

This is a great set up for people who are more noise sensitive. You can even throw a Dinan resonator delete on top and it will still be drone free.

The only time I've noticed the remus/200cell combo drone is in MDM mode at ~2500 rpm with the valves open. Besides that it's music to my ears. I'd go out and test this for you more to double check but it's winter and my M2 is in the garage until spring.
Great thx tomorrow maybe I make a video to show this
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:12 AM   #104
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
2 year update:

Still love the exhaust set up and couldn't be happier. No issues or complaints what so ever. Only change I've made since adding the CG valve controller is the addition of new tips. Got tired of silver and decided black chrome was the way to go.
I've been using those same tips, love the look (and sound of the exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:14 AM   #105
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Remus Exhaust + Fabspeed Sport Cat Review

I've got the same setup as Andrew and think it's pretty much perfect. Our motorway speeds are only 100-110km/h in Australia and I notice no drone whatsoever with the valves open or shut.

Admittedly on the motorway I'm generally in comfort with the valves shut and in 7th. I believe it's no louder than the stock setup when at motorway speeds. ASD delete probably helps make it seem quieter.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #106
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
I have the Remus plus Fabspeed setup and absolutely love it as well. 6mt. ASD coded out. There is an increase in engine howl from the Fabspeed I think between 3-3.5k rpm. It disappears above 3.5k. I actually enjoy it but my driving is city primarily so I don't stay in one rpm range all the time. I don't think it's the exhaust though. I think it is the down pipe instead. Surprised nobody else noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #107
kempson
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have the Remus plus Fabspeed setup and absolutely love it as well. 6mt. ASD coded out. There is an increase in engine howl from the Fabspeed I think between 3-3.5k rpm. It disappears above 3.5k. I actually enjoy it but my driving is city primarily so I don't stay in one rpm range all the time. I don't think it's the exhaust though. I think it is the down pipe instead. Surprised nobody else noticed it.

I don't think so because with stock exhaust and DP all was fine On movie it's not that strength as in real but you can verified (valves close) You can see that on higher rpm the noise is less bothersome

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvEd9WHeTh21nrUo8
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #108
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Remus Exhaust

Quote:
+1

Any HP gain with the Remus exhaust . Am considering it only for power gain and not sound.

Last edited by chief1richard; 08-27-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #109
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Any HP gain with the Remus exhaust if you already have Fabspeed Sport Cat. Am considering it only for power gain and not sound.
This is strictly a sound mod. If you're expecting power you'll be disappointed. Realistically no exhaust (that doesn't remove cats/opf) gives horsepower. All that free flow mumbo jumbo is just sales tactics.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #110
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Any HP gain with the Remus exhaust if you already have Fabspeed Sport Cat. Am considering it only for power gain and not sound.
You can see the power gains on a dyno; in real life, it's so minor you probably won't notice it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1