BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Drivetrain Malfunction - Limp Mode

10-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #67
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
Great... Are you telling us our already incredibly small fuel tank needs to be kept above 1/4 at all times to prevent fuel starvation and limp mode? Might as well have a trailer hitch installed so I can tow a supplemental fuel tank with me.
Yes appears so, only if driven to the limits of adhesion tho with R compund tyres
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #68
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Did you account for the software remap done during the break-in service? They flash it with new mapping to enable launch control and others features locked out before break in.
I asked the dealer about this during my break-in service. They don't unlock anything. When they told me that I did a quick search that said launch control is automatically unlocked by the car after ~1200 miles break-in service or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #69
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I asked the dealer about this during my break-in service. They don't unlock anything. When they told me that I did a quick search that said launch control is automatically unlocked by the car after ~1200 miles break-in service or not.
LC does not self activate at 1200 miles.
      10-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #70
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
LC does not self activate at 1200 miles.
You might be correct about not "self activating"..my Owner's Manual on page 162, states..."During break-in, do not user the Launch Control."...guess it's not coded out and service was incorrect

The only computer related line item on my 1,200 mile service states...

"Perform Scope per CBS DATA"...re: reset Condition Based Service (CBS) indicators.

NADA about rev limits or launch control.

Last edited by omasou; 10-31-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #71
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
You might be correct about not "self activating"..my Owner's Manual on page 162, states..."During break-in, do not user the Launch Control."...guess it's not coded out and service was incorrect

The only computer related line item on my 1,200 mile service states...

"Perform Scope per CBS DATA"...re: reset Condition Based Service (CBS) indicators.

NADA about rev limits or launch control.
It gets coded when the car is hooked up via the OBD port. resetting CBS will nor activate LC.
      10-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #72
Volki_M2
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
From the M2 Technical Training Manual:

"The 2000 km (1200 mile) pre-delivery check must have been completed and reset/confirmed with the Integrated Service Technical Application (ISTA) (do not reset by the instrument cluster service function, as otherwise the launch control is not enabled)."
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      10-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #73
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

FWIW, cross referencing to the recurrent limp mode issue recently reported by forum fellow MR.: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1317706

Issue not resolved yet, but the recent installation of Akrapovič DPs on his M2 is a hypothesis worth investigating too, amongst others.

Bottom line: OP, fit the stock DPs again and let us know whether the limp mode still occurs on your M2.

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Last week I drove back home on the autobahn. I was going across the highway doing speeds between 210 and 270 kmh, but while doing so I experienced over a period of two days time a total of four limp modes. The car went into limp mode at speeds between 210 and 270.
Today I went to my dealer asking for a read out of the error messages. The dealer needed the car for two hours to do this. I was like uh wait get me a computer and I will do the readout myself. The desk mechanic put the car on a bridge and looked underneath it and said nothing looks wrong...
I was like: and would you be able to "Get the computer, please". He walked back to his desk and started to write a report asking me to hand over the car for a two hour check with five different points they would need to walk through. I said "Leave it, I am going to a tuner".
Ended up at a local tuner, connected the computer and found the error messages! They said: Charging pressure control, plausibility pressure too high and Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence.
The charging pressure sensor got a value which is higher than the nominal value and so the car went into limp mode. I can easily reproduce it by doing those top speeds and keep pushing the car.
Any thoughts on this forum what this could be related to? Any input is welcome. I am collecting as much information as possible to get the best possible reply to the dealer so that they know how to fix it.
MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
First , please advise what mods your vehicle has that deviate it from stock, if any. Down pipe, tune , whatever.
Why did you have a tuner pull the codes instead of the dealer ? Isn't the car under warranty ? Or perhaps the answer to my query above is that the car isn't stock ..?
Quote:
Akrapovic downpipe + catalytic converter and full titanium exhaust and that are all the technical changes. Nothing else is fitted to the car that influences the drive train. There is no tune or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Did your M2 ever go into limp mode during Autobahn stints before all Akra gear was installed ?
Quote:
Nope, but there is no guarantee that after 10K km with downpipe and exhaust fitted, it could be related. You cannot exclude it, but you also cannot say it is the case. The time between both Autobahn runs is more than 1.5 months, so there is no immediate correlation and we drove the M2 up to its ultimate max during those weeks. Maybe something broke down, who knows...
There is also no fixed answer to it yet until the right people look at it, we have found it and come up with right answer. At this moment I am just investigating all the options and asking here if anyone experienced the same. When I find it, I will report the result here so that we can learn from it.
And since Romo reported something similar you cannot exclude anything, so let's wait and see what comes in more. At this moment all the options are still open for me.
      11-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #74
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by photos_by_ronnie View Post
Only "mod" on the car is a cat less downpipe, but that shouldn't affect the drivetrain. Keep in mind, this is not a check engine light, this comes up as a different light with the idrive saying "drivetrain malfunction".
Quote:
However the dealership is most likely the ones who messed the car up as they're a tiny BMW center that uses the Dodge dealer next door for all of their service, so I don't trust them too well. Thus I wanted to hear some educated opinions before going in.
Quote:
Just got the call. Apparently my rear o2 sensor failed. They seem to think it's normal and they want to replace it for me tomorrow once they get the new part in. In all the cars I've owned, ironically it's always the bone stock ones with o2 sensor failure. But I think I will be removing my downpipe just to be safe in the future.
The only person who messed up the car is you buddy. I know that must be hard for you to hear. I'm not trying to be mean. Just to the rest of us on the outside we can be a little more objective.

BMW spend $M of dollars on R&D and have a team of expert who's profession it is to design and build performance cars.

You have a credit card and week grasp on how a modern engine works. I think you owe ilovewagons an appology.

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 11-05-2016 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #75
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 DCT, 2017 X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
The only person who messed up the car is you buddy. I know that must be hard for you to hear. I'm not trying to be mean. Just to the rest of us on the outside we can be a little more objective.

BMW spend $M of dollars on R&D and have a team of expert who's profession it is to design and build performance cars.

You have a credit card and week grasp on how a modern engine works. I think you owe ilovewagons an appology.
Wow, way to revive an old thread. I don't know who you think you are, but you need to learn some respect and courtesy. Talking down to someone you've never met or spoken to is so pathetic. Since you think you know so much, maybe try spelling 'weak' correctly next time.

Just to update you, I never did anything to the car after I took it to the dealer. The downpipes are still in, I didn't replace the O2 sensors, and I haven't gotten limp mode since then. So my guess is that it was just a random occurrence or something they did to my computer during the break-in service.

Either way, it doesn't matter cause the car runs perfectly and I still get to keep those sweet sounding downpipes in. So for you, and ilovewagons, and any other haters...SUCK IT! Cause my car sounds 10x better than yours! LOL Just kidding, you guys are great, time to get off the forum and enjoy your cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #76
black-falcon
Registered
Rep
Drives: Caddy

Boost creep. I guarantee it. High load, small turbo...you see it all the time in the Subaru world.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #77
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

So I experienced limp mode last night. For reference I have dinan exhausted, Do, jb4 running e85 blend. Never had this happen before and it finally did when I was topping out at 140mph. I than suddenly lost power with a "Drivetrain Malfunction" noted on my dash. Once I stepped off fbd gas for about 10 sec power was restored and dash warning went away.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #78
G3N3VA
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (Ordered)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6  [0.00]
Had drive train malfunction as well , missing spark in 3rd cylinder at 6640rpm
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #79
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Coilpack going bad?
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #80
HarshaGorantla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Drivetrain Malfunction

Hello,

I got a 2019 BMW M2C and I got 7500 miles on that. I'm getting the "Drivetrain Malfunction: Continue driving if possible" error. This happened 5 or 6 times so far at different speeds from 30-65 mph. Restarting the vehicle fixes this issue. I have observed this error particularly when I slam the brakes. My exhaust is in Sport +, steering in Comfort mode and transmission Sport/Sport +. Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Harsha
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #81
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshaGorantla View Post
Hello,

I got a 2019 BMW M2C and I got 7500 miles on that. I'm getting the "Drivetrain Malfunction: Continue driving if possible" error. This happened 5 or 6 times so far. Restarting the vehicle fixes this issue. I have observed this error particularly when I slam the brakes. My exhaust is in Sport +, steering in Comfort mode and transmission Sport/Sport +. Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Harsha
Time to take a service rep for a spin while you replicate the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #82
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshaGorantla View Post
Hello,

I got a 2019 BMW M2C and I got 7500 miles on that. I'm getting the "Drivetrain Malfunction: Continue driving if possible" error. This happened 5 or 6 times so far at different speeds from 30-65 mph. Restarting the vehicle fixes this issue. I have observed this error particularly when I slam the brakes. My exhaust is in Sport +, steering in Comfort mode and transmission Sport/Sport +. Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Harsha
Hopefully it's not a crank hub issue. That said, you're posting in the wrong section. This is for the OG M2, search the M2c section, others have reported the same issue. You can also create a new thread there. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #83
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Just went in for my break-in service at 978 miles, and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then at 1,002 miles after passing someone at partial throttle, about 80%, I got a dash light and a message in the iDrive.

Drive Manflunction: Drive Moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center.

And the car drives like CRAP. It feels like the power has been reduced to less than 50%, I can barely get it up to 75 MPH. And at one point while I was slowing down to turn into a parking lot, it misshifted while downshifting into 2nd, the car is a DCT.

Unfortunately I was taking it on a road trip so I've already put another 500 miles on it, and run into this problem 4 times already at WOT. It doesn't always go into limp mode at WOT, maybe about 20% of the time, but always at 120 mph+. I checked the service receipt, and the paperwork lists my car as a M235i which doesn't inspire confidence...but it seems they probably used the correct diff oil, part #83-22-1-470-080.

Any ideas? I still have another 400 miles to go before I reach a BMW dealership so they can check it out.
Youre break in was done 3/4 too early

And are you saying your dealer thought it was a 235i? I could be wrong but i think the fluids are different from that car as it normally doesn't comes with e diff
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:20 PM   #84
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Unfortunately this is an N55 issue on the M2. It happened to mine about 3-4 times. Just have to let it sit for 10min and you're good to go. Oh and def has to do with fueling issues.
Appreciate 1