BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS vs Lotus Evora GT review by Everyday Driver

12-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #23
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

When I was shopping for a car in 2019 my decision came down to M2C vs Evora. These were to be secondary or even tertiary cars, not sole transportation. Ultimately I went with M2C for a few reasons, but mostly the performance, plus being a 3 pedal car, at a $60k price tag just couldn't be beat.

Daily driver? Kind of…meaning to and from work on nice days, able to do minor errands and pick up a kid or 2 for short rides. Either car could have done that.

Now that I have the M2C I appreciate its versatility and practicality. I'm glad for the plethora of bolt-on upgrades that are available for better handling and huge power bumps — none of which are easy for the Evora.

And yet I'm still watching the Evora market and itching to get one as soon as it cools down a little.

Why? Because the M2 just doesn't feel "special". It's a great car but a little plain Jane and not experiential. I agree with the guys in the video — the M2 will always be a 2 series BMW with a lot of great upgrades. It will never feel like a purpose-built sports car. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different experience. For those reasons I have no intention of replacing the M2. But I want an Evora as well 🤪
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23633.50
      12-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #24
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020m2c View Post
When I was shopping for a car in 2019 my decision came down to M2C vs Evora. These were to be secondary or even tertiary cars, not sole transportation. Ultimately I went with M2C for a few reasons, but mostly the performance, plus being a 3 pedal car, at a $60k price tag just couldn't be beat.

Daily driver? Kind of…meaning to and from work on nice days, able to do minor errands and pick up a kid or 2 for short rides. Either car could have done that.

Now that I have the M2C I appreciate its versatility and practicality. I'm glad for the plethora of bolt-on upgrades that are available for better handling and huge power bumps — none of which are easy for the Evora.

And yet I'm still watching the Evora market and itching to get one as soon as it cools down a little.

Why? Because the M2 just doesn't feel "special". It's a great car but a little plain Jane and not experiential. I agree with the guys in the video — the M2 will always be a 2 series BMW with a lot of great upgrades. It will never feel like a purpose-built sports car. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different experience. For those reasons I have no intention of replacing the M2. But I want an Evora as well 🤪
Do you have any modifications on the M2C?

I have the OG in manual. To be honest, I didn't love it when it was stock. Coil overs, 18inch forged wheels & bigger tires changed a lot of the driving feel for me.

Then I went crazy and did a FBO build with a high flow cat and E85 HPFP/sensor/filter. I'd highly suggest going on a similar route as me if you'd want to keep things interesting. It definitely was a game changer for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #25
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Great review. Late to the party. Would agree with the future comparo to the emira. That could well be the next car I get if the G87 CS is only an incremental improvement on the F87 CS and doesn't come in manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #26
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020m2c View Post

Do you have any modifications on the M2C?

I have the OG in manual. To be honest, I didn't love it when it was stock. Coil overs, 18inch forged wheels & bigger tires changed a lot of the driving feel for me.

Then I went crazy and did a FBO build with a high flow cat and E85 HPFP/sensor/filter. I'd highly suggest going on a similar route as me if you'd want to keep things interesting. It definitely was a game changer for me.
I have a pallet rack full of parts going on this winter once I get some other projects off the lift.

The mods I'm doing are street-oriented. TBH I don't feel the M2 is a serious track contender. Cayman GT4 fits that bill for me. Maybe GT3 but I like mid engine more. Even my kids' old Boxters are in many ways better track cars than the M2.

As a street car the M2 is playful and plenty quick but just not truly fast or special in the way an exotic is. Even the Evora isn't really a supercar at all but it is a very capable mid engine toy. Just a different tool for different purposes. I love my M2C but as a pure, connected driver's car the Evora checks more boxes (personal opinion of course).
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23633.50
      12-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #27
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Great review. Late to the party. Would agree with the future comparo to the emira. That could well be the next car I get if the G87 CS is only an incremental improvement on the F87 CS and doesn't come in manual.
I think it would be a big improvement, no doubt about it. Especially if you modify it. I can't see it coming with a manual though.

My logic with it is if I'm missing out on the manual it has to be for the Xdrive. Otherwise I'm not crazy about it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #28
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
@2020m2c definitely agree with you! I don't track my M2 but I built it for a daily driver/street set up. The OG isn't as refined imo as the comp or cs is but I'd swap my daily for the lotus if I had the option or a GT4
Appreciate 1
2020m2c180.50
      01-01-2022, 11:51 PM   #29
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Honestly, since I'm broke, I wouldn't mind either one of those
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #30
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e92328i View Post
Honestly, since I'm broke, I wouldn't mind either one of those

The cars M2's (all varients) are compared to are some of the best out there. This is strong evidence of how great these cars are. I love my car as well as all of the others it is compared with...

01-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #31
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'd really like an Emira.
I have my reserve in for a 6 spd v6. This was a great video, but a Lotus ownership experience is still going to be more compromised than a BMW. Would you take your Evora GT on a long road trip? Rain? etc?

As savagegeese said, its always going to get bumped to a 3rd car. And that needs to be factored in.

But yeah an Emira in Touring spec, going to absolutely be a great car. If its reliable and doesn't leave people stranded, have constant software glitches, build quality issues, its going to be one of the best cars ever made. Even though it can't hold a golf club whereas i could bought 2 huge bags of luggage and 4 people in an M2 CS.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #32
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I have my reserve in for a 6 spd v6. This was a great video, but a Lotus ownership experience is still going to be more compromised than a BMW. Would you take your Evora GT on a long road trip? Rain? etc?

As savagegeese said, its always going to get bumped to a 3rd car. And that needs to be factored in.
I'm excited for you, and can't wait for the review.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #33
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm excited for you, and can't wait for the review.
We won't be getting a US car until Q3, and i probably won't get mine until 2023 (i'm far enough down on the list that Lotus is keeping). Hopefully that will be enough time to see what the right suspension spec is (i believe its going to be the Touring and not Sport spec), and if it can actually be relied on.
Appreciate 1
sdhotwn2128.50
      01-07-2022, 12:33 AM   #34
Hapkin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I'd love to see a comparison against the emira in the future. I hope they produce that car for a small eternity so I can grab one eventually!
When I get my Emira, I will do a comparo vs my M2CS and my buddy's Evora GT.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 11:14 PM   #35
Hapkin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalOx View Post
I drove by this when they were doing the beauty shots. Both Cars looked amazing together. A lot of people really like this road around here. Its fun, and the views are amazing but I think their are better roads that also have less traffic.

I think that for so long, BMW's being compared to dedicated sports cars is what makes BMW, BMW. What other company has so reliably turned out everyday/entry luxury cars that also give true dedicated performance cars a run for their money? I feel like this review sums up my experience between my Cayman S and my M2C. The P car was a better sports car but I couldn't live with it as my only car. The M2C is absolutely a single solution vehicle for me.
Sorry to bring this back to life. Which road in UT is this?
Also, with camber plates and alignment my M2CS is transformed. I also have an Emira on order. Hoping to keep both. Both extraordinarily fun but different.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:19 AM   #36
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Oof, I remember these boring lumps making a boring video with boring dialogue and throwing mostly shade at how the CS is not special for 21 minutes. Boring.
F87EVO4031.00
      07-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #37
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapkin View Post
Sorry to bring this back to life. Which road in UT is this?
Also, with camber plates and alignment my M2CS is transformed. I also have an Emira on order. Hoping to keep both. Both extraordinarily fun but different.
Hwy 150 (East Mirror Lake Hwy) in the Uinta Mountains.

The drone shot at 5:30 in the video is right by Trial Lake here >> (40.677429679058015, -110.95346380415992)

The drone shots at 8:30 and 15:50 in the video are right by Moosehorn Lake here >> (40.68930147485184, -110.89578442412767). Hayden Peak (12,479 ft | 3,804 m) is the highest visible point in the background.

Last edited by ///BYU; 07-11-2023 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0