BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ceramic coating for new car

11-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

Ceramic coating for new car

Hey guys. I'm planning on doing a ceramic coating when I get my car next week. Does anyone know what paint prep is required for a brand new car? I'm definitely planning on washing with dawn, then found a 50/50 alcohol mix cleaning but should I also de-iron and machine polish?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Hey guys. I'm planning on doing a ceramic coating when I get my car next week. Does anyone know what paint prep is required for a brand new car? I'm definitely planning on washing with dawn, then found a 50/50 alcohol mix cleaning but should I also de-iron and machine polish?
You need to address any paint imperfections (swirls, chips, scratches, water spots), and remove anything on the paint surface (wax, mineral deposits (using clay)), prior to coating.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I rec’d my car with shipping plastic still on the hood. Did a full wash, ironX decontamination, clay bar, and then a minor polish. Then carpro eraser wipe down then ceramic.
I was actually amazed at how much crap oxidized off with ironX and then how much gritty feel the clay took off.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Have it professionally done. It can be a painstaking process which needs to performed correctly in order to achieve desired results. It's pricey but you can justify the cost because good paint plays a major role in resale value. Just my advice, take it as you will.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Have it professionally done. It can be a painstaking process which needs to performed correctly in order to achieve desired results. It's pricey but you can justify the cost because good paint plays a major role in resale value. Just my advice, take it as you will.
I second this advice. Location?

There are folks who can point you in the right shop!!
      11-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
First off, Don't wash with dawn. If you don't know what to do to prep a car for ceramic coating you might ruin your paint during the correction process.

I'd advise you to take it to a well known local detailer. Preferably one with their own shop. Not a mobile one.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys! I was on the fence but think I'm going to pass and go with the Meguires hybrid ceramic wax after a thorough wash, decontamination, clay, polish. Seems more forgiving and I don't want to risk killing my paint. I actually won't mind doing it every 4-6 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Quote:
First off, Don't wash with dawn. If you don't know what to do to prep a car for ceramic coating you might ruin your paint during the correction process.

I'd advise you to take it to a well known local detailer. Preferably one with their own shop. Not a mobile one.
What do recommend for a prewash?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Quote:

What do recommend for a prewash?
Any name brand shampoo is fine.
Then you want chemical decon/iron remover
Then physical decon with clay
Then IPA wipe down
Then paint correction and polish
Then apply ceramic

You want to make sure you paint is pristine before the coating or it'll be much more work to cut through the coating and back to the clear coat to correct any imperfections and swirls

If that's too much for you to do bring it to a detailer.

Here's a good DIY video

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep

Don't you want to wipe off the polishing compound with the alcohol mix before applying the ceramic?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:33 AM   #11
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Pay a good local shop to do PPF. Ceramic is cool but stopping actual damage with PPF will for ever be king.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:43 AM   #12
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don't you want to wipe off the polishing compound with the alcohol mix before applying the ceramic?
Yes that's what IPA (isopropyl alcohol)
is in my comment above
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #13
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JggyM2 View Post
Location?
I have a local guy who's been in the biz for years earning excellent reviews on Google, etc. Experience is key with the ceramic coating process as I'm sure you'll agree. Modern coatings are all good. All techniques are not

OP, try and find a sterile environment for your DIY project to limit contaminants from adhering.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #14
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Pay a good local shop to do PPF. Ceramic is cool but stopping actual damage with PPF will for ever be king.
Agree if the paint is perfect or near perfect. No rock chips, scratches of any size. I was unable to go that route with my 13 year old car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #15
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep

I'm in the SF Bay Area and ceramic/ppf pricing is sky high!!! I've considered ppf but have decided it's not for me. I think I'll just stick with the novice "fake" ceramic options like the sprays/ waxes since I don't want to mess up my new paint. 🤷*♂️ I've used armor shield spray as a detailing spray just after a standard wash without any prep and it looks incredible plus my car is garaged.
Appreciate 0