BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Looking for pictures of damaged 2NH calipers/wheel barrels from stones.

04-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #45
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Is this solution working for you?
Only put on a few hundred miles since this but no issues with my 763M winters. Just mounted my FI-R but weather has been shitty.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      04-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #46
JordanB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

See attached from my 788s. All occurred within first 12 months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #47
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanB View Post
See attached from my 788s. All occurred within first 12 months.
Ouch dude, sorry to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #48
GjXray
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, VW GTI,

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtotheD View Post
Including my base template measurements if anyone wants to try it out. Unfortunately this method requires customization because fitment will be different for everyone. A 12x12 1/16" ABS sheet is only around $7 on Amazon. It can easily be cut with a utility knife and a straight edge. Mark your drill points after fitting it behind your brake lines. Zip tie on and mount wheel to check fitment. Clip zip ties off to remove and take off material as needed. Will all depend on wheel barrel shape. Took me about 3 tries on each side.

I feel like it's going to be difficult to prove that any solution works. Unless someone wants to put on a scraper design and go crazy on a gravel road haha. Still I figure the more people that try it the sooner we'll know if it's somewhat viable. The M2 isn't my daily so it would take me some time to assess.
I pulled my FI-R's to clean and coat. I try to be really careful with where I drive, so I was disappointed to find a small scratch in the barrel of the front passenger wheel. I installed the scraper/guards. Should help with any larger stones.

Thanks to EtotheD for the design and diagram!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EtotheD305.00
      05-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #49
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GjXray View Post
I pulled my FI-R's to clean and coat. I try to be really careful with where I drive, so I was disappointed to find a small scratch in the barrel of the front passenger wheel.
Even under perfect conditions this will happen, some guys with as little as 80 miles on their cars. There was a pretty big outcry in 2015 from the F80 guys with CCB's, but BMW did little for them.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1107233

Quote:
I installed the scraper/guards. Should help with any larger stones. Thanks to EtotheD for the design and diagram!
The guard should definitely help with some stones that would be larger and travel upwards through each section of the caliper causing damage along the way, but it's not a complete solution.

Even fitting a 380mm front rotor isn't a complete solution because the 2NH caliper is so much bigger than the blue caliper.

The only way to truly fix this problem is to replace the front calipers and rotors with those designed to fit closer inward toward the hub. The aftermarket Brembo calipers are nearly the same size as the 2NH on the bottom edge, but they are inset further which creates more room for the clearance. At least, that's what I'm reading.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #50
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

This kit pairs a smaller front rotor (380mm) and a super thin caliper, which would alleviate the problem entirely, but it's $4,500 for just the fronts, which is the price of the full 2NH kit.

https://www.hkptuning.com/products/b...-2-piece-front
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #51
GjXray
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I pulled my FI-R's to clean and coat. I try to be really careful with where I drive, so I was disappointed to find a small scratch in the barrel of the front passenger wheel.
Even under perfect conditions this will happen, some guys with as little as 80 miles on their cars. There was a pretty big outcry in 2015 from the F80 guys with CCB's, but BMW did little for them.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1107233

Quote:
I installed the scraper/guards. Should help with any larger stones. Thanks to EtotheD for the design and diagram!
The guard should definitely help with some stones that would be larger and travel upwards through each section of the caliper causing damage along the way, but it's not a complete solution.

Even fitting a 380mm front rotor isn't a complete solution because the 2NH caliper is so much bigger than the blue caliper.

The only way to truly fix this problem is to replace the front calipers and rotors with those designed to fit closer inward toward the hub. The aftermarket Brembo calipers are nearly the same size as the 2NH on the bottom edge, but they are inset further which creates more room for the clearance. At least, that's what I'm reading.
The AP Racing kit is on my radar, but it's quite an investment. They look killer though! We'll see.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      05-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #52
speedsnice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

The Racing Brake 380mm Rotors with bracket that relocates the Caliper offers plenty of clearance.
I have driven on gravel roads with the new set up and no stones have gotten caught.
Attached Images

///MPhatic13862.50
GjXray111.50
Telluride125.00
      05-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #53
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
The Racing Brake 380mm Rotors with bracket that relocates the Caliper offers plenty of clearance.
I have driven on gravel roads with the new set up and no stones have gotten caught.
It's amazing what 10mm can do.

It just makes me want to find a solution using the OEM 380mm front rotor. A custom bracket and brake pad backing plates is all it'd take.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #54
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
I installed the scraper/guards. Should help with any larger stones.

Glad to see someone else give it a try so we can get more data. What material did you use? Please report back if you still get scratches. I'll be driving more as the weather gets better and will update as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #55
GjXray
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I installed the scraper/guards. Should help with any larger stones.

Glad to see someone else give it a try so we can get more data. What material did you use? Please report back if you still get scratches. I'll be driving more as the weather gets better and will update as well.
I used some scrap plastic I had from an old project. I'll keep an eye it. Hopefully no further issues. Thanks again
Appreciate 1
EtotheD305.00
      05-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #56
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

This is a video from Harry's Garage where he talks about a CS with the CCB package having a reputation for trapping stones. It starts at the 1:22 mark.

Appreciate 1
Telluride125.00
      05-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #57
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Wow, found something very interesting at 3:16. Actual video of the wheel scrapers they use in rally racing!

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Telluride125.00
      05-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #58
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
I know that stone scrapers have been pretty much standard on gravel rally cars as long as there have been gravel rally cars with disc brakes and aluminium or magnesium wheels, i.e. over 50 years.
So this doesn't need a 'new' solution.
You hit it right on the head, and I just wasn't listening close enough! The rally guys have the solution, although I'm not sure these scrapers would prevent damage, but they would certainly keep it to a minimum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M2Pilot278.50
GjXray111.50
Telluride125.00
      06-01-2022, 11:03 PM   #59
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
I used some scrap plastic I had from an old project. I'll keep an eye it. Hopefully no further issues. Thanks again
Almost a month since your guys last update. Scrapers still a success? I should have a set of FI-R's soon and plan to ask my shop for thoughts/ideas regarding this thread. Much appreciate your guys effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #60
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Any concern about mounting this scraper to the brake line?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #61
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Any concern about mounting this scraper to the brake line?
I don't have any concern over it, the plastic is really thin, and would break way before it would cause any damage.

My concern is possibly trapping even smaller stones in hopes of shuttling the larger ones away.

I'm in the process of finding someone that can make me custom brackets and brake pad spacers so I can use the stock 380mm front rotor, as it's the only real solution to the problem.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Telluride125.00
      06-05-2022, 12:20 AM   #62
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
Speedsnice - did you end up doing rear rotors too? I too am ocd... and now wondering what it would cost for your solution? Do you happen to have links to the f/r rotors and brackets you purchased?

I cannot find the setup you have on Racing Brake's website. Trying to find the right pieces for a cost estimate. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 09:42 PM   #63
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
Do you happen to have links to the f/r rotors and brackets you purchased?

I cannot find the setup you have on Racing Brake's website. Trying to find the right pieces for a cost estimate. Thank you!
https://racingbrake.com/bmw-irp-04/

Insanity IMO, but hey, if you've got the coin.

Me, I'm just taking the chance. I don't drive my car often, so I'm hoping it get lucky until I can get brackets like his made.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 11:20 PM   #64
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
https://racingbrake.com/bmw-irp-04/

Insanity IMO, but hey, if you've got the coin.

Me, I'm just taking the chance. I don't drive my car often, so I'm hoping it get lucky until I can get brackets like his made.
Appreciate. And I totally agree... a ridiculous amount of money to spend being proactive, right?! The RB link shows black rotors... wondering if they come in silver too? Or if Speedsnice used rotors from their BBK, which are silver but slightly smaller size 380/34 vs Gold Rotor kit 380/36.

Your sweep idea is excellent especially if we could get something of production quality and more foolproof. But having two front rims (<9k miles) both with rock scores while spending zero time on gravel or dirt roads... sucks.

Anyway, I'm about to get delivery of new FI-R's which in today's world are about impossible to get... makes it very hard to want to roll the dice. Going to sleep on it. Oy.

Last edited by Telluride; 06-06-2022 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: ‘Machined’ bad choice of word
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #65
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
Appreciate. And I totally agree... a ridiculous amount of money to spend being proactive, right?! The RB link shows black rotors... wondering if they come in silver too? Or if Speedsnice used rotors from their BBK, which are silver but slightly smaller size 380/34 vs Gold Rotor kit 380/36.

Your sweep idea is excellent especially if we could get something of production quality and more foolproof. But having two front rims (<9k miles) both with rock scores while spending zero time on gravel or dirt roads... sucks.

Anyway, I'm about to get delivery of new FI-R's which in today's world are about impossible to get... makes it very hard to want to roll the dice. Going to sleep on it. Oy.
They are black but turn silver quickly, it's just paint that rubs off.

I'm sure he uses the 36mm rotor, they are adamant that they are needed (they are incorrect, but it's a liability).

They won't sell us the brake brackets to fit the 2NH to the stock 380 rotor because they say that because the stock 380mm rotor is thinner than the Comp 400mm rotor (30mm vs 36mm) the pistons would pop out at some point when the pads wore down. That could be solved with a pair of 3mm pad spacers...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Telluride125.00
      06-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #66
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They are black but turn silver quickly, it's just paint that rubs off.

I'm sure he uses the 36mm rotor, they are adamant that they are needed (they are incorrect, but it's a liability).

They won't sell us the brake brackets to fit the 2NH to the stock 380 rotor because they say that because the stock 380mm rotor is thinner than the Comp 400mm rotor (30mm vs 36mm) the pistons would pop out at some point when the pads wore down. That could be solved with a pair of 3mm pad spacers...
Smart by them... tough for us. Their bracket is gold.

Appreciate your posting larger pics of wheels/rotors. Exactly what I was searching for... trying to get a better view of them.
Appreciate 0