BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Well, it finally happened: blown charge pipe

05-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #23
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
No problem!
Just from how you've helped me multiple times I owe you a few cases of beers!
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      05-06-2021, 07:11 PM   #24
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
It was in the big charge pipe debate thread or reliability thread I can't remember exactly but if I find it I will link it. But yes I believe the car was stock.

The reinforcement was more on the flange area, it still won't protect from cracking that is common on the pipe body where it connects to the flange.
Another member with an 18 blew his CP tuned on stage 1 bm3 just a couple weeks ago. Blew at the flange AND blew out the tmap sensor as well. So yeah i dont think they were upgraded much.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
F87source7251.50
      05-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #25
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
Quote:
It was in the big charge pipe debate thread or reliability thread I can't remember exactly but if I find it I will link it. But yes I believe the car was stock.

The reinforcement was more on the flange area, it still won't protect from cracking that is common on the pipe body where it connects to the flange.
Another member with an 18 blew his CP tuned on stage 1 bm3 just a couple weeks ago. Blew at the flange AND blew out the tmap sensor as well. So yeah i dont think they were upgraded much.
Doesn't sound like it

Of course BMW only intended for it to handle stock boost levels
      05-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #26
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

On my previous m235 it went out right around 50K miles a week before the extended warranty was set to expire.
      05-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #27
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
70k miles is insane! I'm at 45k
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN16543.50
Poochie9104.50
      05-07-2021, 04:41 AM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

And another owner with a '17 got 70k miles out of his before it went belly up.. I believe he got his money's worth..

Let me take a wild guess, you're one of those zealous aftermarket metal chargepipe advocates I occasionally encounter here.

Here's a reality-check; everything under the hood of an automobile will eventually wear out and fail, you can set your watch to that; it's not a matter of how but when. Some parts give up faster than others, such as plastic or rubber components #Duh.. It's not a surprise nor a mystery but the nature of a tangible product. Hell, even the pyramids didn't last forever..

Even If I get 50k miles of useful life out of the OEM charge pipe, I'm ok with that, over the alternative of stuffing some aftermarket, heak-soaked metal pipe into my vehicle.

My revised chargepipe with the enhanced lip is holding up fine, going on two years and counting. If it fails again, I have an extended warranty, so the dealer will replace it, with no cost to me, while I go do burnouts in their brand new, free loaner car.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26491684

This N55 chargepipe failure is overblown issue on these forums, shit fails, replace it and move on - then end.

I drove my car for seven days, even went on a date and did my regular errands, even after my chargepipe ripped off from the flange, yet my car is still fine to this day. It really wasn't the end of the world that the chargepipe fear-mongers have made it out to be but more so a minor inconvenience that comes with any general vehicle usage.
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #29
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
And another owner with a '17 got 70k miles out of his before it went belly up.. I believe he got his money's worth..

Let me take a wild guess, you're one of those zealous aftermarket metal chargepipe advocates I occasionally encounter here.

Here's a reality-check; everything under the hood of an automobile will eventually wear out and fail, you can set your watch to that; it's not a matter of how but when. Some parts give up faster than others, such as plastic or rubber components #Duh.. It's not a surprise nor a mystery but the nature of a tangible product. Hell, even the pyramids didn't last forever..

Even If I get 50k miles of useful life out of the OEM charge pipe, I'm ok with that, over the alternative of stuffing some aftermarket, heak-soaked metal pipe into my vehicle.

My revised chargepipe with the enhanced lip is holding up fine, going on two years and counting. If it fails again, I have an extended warranty, so the dealer will replace it, with no cost to me, while I go do burnouts in their brand new, free loaner car.

This N55 chargepipe failure is overblown issue on these forums, shit fails, replace it and move on - then end.

I drove my car for seven days, even went on a date and did my regular errands, even after my chargepipe ripped off from the flange, yet my car is still fine to this day. It really wasn't the end of the world that the chargepipe fear-mongers have made it out to be but more so a minor inconvenience that comes with any general vehicle usage.
I would agree in the sense that it’s probably not necessary to replace the chargepipe preventatively on a stock car just because there are reports of failures. I do think it’s advisable on a tuned car- being that you need an intercooler anyway and it’s easy to just get it all done at once.

Heatsoak is a non-issue BTW, so be careful with fear-mongering in the other direction.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #30
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed

Absolutely nothing is worse then "Fear Based Sales Tactics"
      05-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #31
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Hell, even the pyramids didn't last forever..
We haven't seen forever...yet. I suspect they will finally burn when our dwarf sun goes red giant in 5B years. Of course, had they been made from Roman concrete they would have lasted longer still, if only for a few moments.

Roman concrete FTW.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Hell, even the pyramids didn't last forever..
We haven't seen forever...yet. I suspect they will finally burn when our dwarf sun goes red giant in 5B years. Of course, had they been made from Roman concrete they would have lasted longer still, if only for a few moments.

Roman concrete FTW.
Ok then..

So will every other plastic and rubber consumable components underneath the hood..

I'm already dealing with a bunch of coolant hoses and possible the belt wearing out and gradually failing one by one.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27192761

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27149518

It's a machine that withstands brunt loads, at various temperature, all throughout the year. Stuff is going to wear out and eventually fail over time, that's just the nature of the beast.

As long as I have some sort of third-party warranty for someone else to cover the bill or the technical know-how to replace it myself, I'm not going lose a minute of sleep over this..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #33
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok then..

So will every other plastic and rubber consumable components underneath the hood..

I'm already dealing with a bunch of coolant hoses and possible the belt wearing out and gradually failing one by one.

It's a machine that withstands brunt loads, at various temperature, all throughout the year. Stuff is going to wear out and eventually fail over time, that's just the nature of the beast.

As long as I have some sort of third-party warranty for someone else to cover the bill or the technical know-how to replace it myself, I'm not going losing a minute of sleep over this..
I was just trying to lighten the mood.

I don't have an issue with the first, second, or metal charge pipes, as none of them make any appreciable difference to anything. While it's on BMW's dime I'll leave the stock one, but will be getting the ER with their IC once the warranty is out.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      05-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #34
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok then..

As long as I have some sort of third-party warranty for someone else to cover the bill or the technical know-how to replace it myself, I'm not going losing a minute of sleep over this..
I was just trying to lighten the mood.

I don't have an issue with the first, second, or metal charge pipes, as none of them make any appreciable difference to anything. While it's on BMW's dime I'll leave the stock one, but will be getting the ER with their IC once the warranty is out.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your intentions, carry on..

My defenses is always up when discussing touchy subjects as these, where everyone alway assumes that their opinion is bond and some will even attempt to subliminally attack you, simple because your train of thought doesn't align with their views.

I will say that I totally understand why folks swap out the plastic charge duct for a metal pipe but the OEM unit, with its perfect fit and finish, covered under warranty, works just fine for a lot of us also, so either/or is kosher. That's all I was attempting to convey..
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #35
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I'm not bothered by this much either...

But I also recognize that a plastic charge pipe is a simple cost cutting move at the expense of reliability. Given that many N55 engines are located in climates with a lot of hot/cold weather cycles, in addition to the constant stress and pressure put on the charge pipe during driving, it's a little disappointing that BMW would opt for a material whose structural integrity would have a risk of failure before the car reaches 75k miles.

But it's a couple hundred dollars to perform preventative maintenance on this one, and once out of warranty I'll be doing so.

Happy driving!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #36
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Just from how you've helped me multiple times I owe you a few cases of beers!
Lol no need I'm glad I could have helped!
VisualEcho6636.50
      05-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post

But I also recognize that a plastic charge pipe is a simple cost cutting move at the expense of reliability. Given that many N55 engines are located in climates with a lot of hot/cold weather cycles, in addition to the constant stress and pressure put on the charge pipe during driving, it's a little disappointing that BMW would opt for a material whose structural integrity would have a risk of failure before the car reaches 75k miles.

But it's a couple hundred dollars to perform preventative maintenance on this one, and once out of warranty I'll be doing so.

Happy driving!
I guess Ferrari uses a plastic charge pipe also to save a buck on their 1/2 million dollar sports car.

Every penny counts, I guess

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #38
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Depends on the use case.

If you hit the track, waiting for this to fail is an amateur move. Letting it blow with a sudden drop in speed and no brake lights is a great way to cause an accident.

Personally, I think it’s also an amateur move not to upgrade it even for a daily driver while you’re under the hood doing other work. Who wants to get stuck on the side of the road away from home when it’s inconvenient and have to get a tow?

I’ve seen too many of these let go in person. Just bc yours hasn’t yet doesn’t make you a clairvoyant genius. You’re just delaying the inconvenient inevitable, unless you don’t plan to keep the car and just want to gamble.
Appreciate 5
F87source7251.50
gphung193.50
VisualEcho6636.50
akkando5864.50
      05-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Depends on the use case.

If you hit the track, waiting for this to fail is an amateur move. Letting it blow with a sudden drop in speed and no brake lights is a great way to cause an accident.

Personally, I think it’s also an amateur move not to upgrade it even for a daily driver while you’re under the hood doing other work. Who wants to get stuck on the side of the road away from home when it’s inconvenient and have to get a tow?

I’ve seen too many of these let go in person. Just bc yours hasn’t yet doesn’t make you a clairvoyant genius. You’re just delaying the inconvenient inevitable, unless you don’t plan to keep the car and just want to gamble.
Lol I already tried to get this point across in a prior thread, it didn't work so no point in trying anymore.
ZM22813.50
VisualEcho6636.50
      05-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #40
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:

Happy driving!
I guess Ferrari uses a plastic charge pipe also to save a buck on their 1/2 million dollar sports car.

21 ponies ⁉️

Insane

💥
      05-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #41
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Happy driving!

I stand by my comment. They could have used a more durable material that cost more and lasts longer. They didn't.

Fun fact on Ferrari though.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #42
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happy driving!

I stand by my comment. They could have used a more durable material that cost more and lasts longer. They didn't.

Fun fact on Ferrari though.

Cheers
It's not so much a fun fact but more so a calculated engineering decision.

The main reason these pipes are all being made out of composite plastic is due to ABS plastic having a lower heat retention than of aluminum and it's not because BMW are necessarily cheap bastards for using a wearable component such as plastic over aluminum.

An aluminum pipe sitting between the intercooler and intake pendulum is going to heat up the air way more than plastic piece, with can produce a power loss due to the inherent heat-soak.

The counter argument to this is, in theory, air travels through the intercooler before entering the chargepipe at such a fast pace that any change in air intake temperature should be minimal but in practice, anyone with a N55 motor and has put it through the paces knows very well that it is very sensitive to rising temperatures, especially since the ECU retards power upon sensing higher intake temperature to prevent detonation or piston pinging. Anything to reduce any possible heat soak, such as plastic over aluminum would be beneficial.

So your aluminum pipe might last until the end of time but it ain't exactly doing you any favors when it comes to overall performance.

I think we should all personally weigh the pros and cons of each option and respect each other's decision for using what they feel best suit their needs.

BTW, another fun fact is the B58/S58 uses all ABS plastic pipes and it seems to be holding just fine. I guess BMW engineering are just a glutton for punishment.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #43
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:

21 ponies ⁉️

Insane

💥
Don't knock their hustle, they gotta eat too..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      05-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #44
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
It's not so much a fun fact but a calculated engineering decision.

The main reason these pipes are all being made out of composite plastic is due to ABS plastic having a lower heat retention than of aluminum and it's not because BMW are necessarily cheap bastards or a glutton for punishment, by using a wearable component such as plastic over aluminum.

An aluminum pipe sitting between the intercooler and intake pendulum is going to heat up the air way more than plastic piece, with can produce a power loss due to the inherent heat-soak.

The counter argument to this is, in theory, air travels through the intercooler before entering the chargepipe at such a fast pace that any change in air intake temperature should be minimal but in practice, anyone with a N55 and put it through the paces knows very well it's very sensitive to rising temperature, especially since the ECU retards power upon sensing higher intake temperature.

So your aluminum pipe might last until the end of time but it ain't exactly doing you any favors when it comes to overall performance.

I think we should all weigh the pros and cons and respect each other for using what they feel best suit their needs.

BTW, another fun fact is the S58 is all
ABS plastic pipe and it seems to be holding up fine. I guess BMW engineering are glutton for punishment.
This smacks of someone who has never actually done heat transfer or airflow calculations and design (or done them poorly), and is making wild speculations about why BMW designed something they way they did.

Do you think the air just sits around in the charge pipe and heats up? The majority of that airmass is flowing fast enough thru the piping that whether it’s metal or plastic makes no difference. If you think I’m wrong, provide some logs showing this temp impact you’re believing to be the case.

And the fact that you drove around for a week with a busted charge pipe pretty much sums up your credibility on this topic.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50