BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Your Experience with Standard (Blue) M2 Competition Brakes

12-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #23
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
All very good points but what about all the color fading complains, with the blue brakes turning green, after heavy track usage.

I'm all for the lighter blue setup but they seem inadequate if you're pushing them to the limit.

If you use your brake merely just to pace, overtake and embarrass some Altimas & Hondas on the expressway, then they work just fine.

That's cool the ROW as the option for both brake setup.
I'm on the lookout for that to be honest. Mine are still blue, but as the pads wear and the calipers get hotter we shall see. I personally don't mind green, and the calipers maintain performance, just loose the color which is cosmetic only.

You can use TI shims to keep the heat away from the calipers to help preserve the color.

And this is the reason big brakes don't come in blue but Gray. Blue turns green, red turns brown, Gray has nowhere to fade to.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #24
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
Hi Natmad,

Thanks for your reply. I had a moment of regret but after reading all the comments, I've realised something. This car is built in a country with unlimited speed limit. In Australia, our top speed is 110kph/70mph (except in the desert). At 113kph, we lose our drivers license. The most demanding driving that I would ever do would be mountain pass / coastal driving with 100kph-brake-to 50kph, accelerate, and brake, and repeat. If blues can handle a few laps on a track, they should be more than adequate for my type of driving.
With lose your license at 113kph (70 mph) I don't think I could own a car like this. The casual speed of traffic here on the highway is 75-80.

You lose your license before you really get into the revs in 3rd gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #25
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
All good replies above, for sure.

OP, the fact that you’re questioning the your brake choice is telling. Go with your gut feeling.

You’ll probably never use the full potential of either brake system on the street, but it’ll be nice knowing you have the higher performance capability M brakes, and they look amazing filling up the wheels. I like to hear people say “Wow, look at those brakes!”, when looking the car over.

They can, at times, be a bit grabby at very low speeds, but they feel amazingly powerful at speed!

Ask yourself this... Would you choose a lower performance (but still powerful) engine, if you had the option? Or a lower performance (but still quick) suspension setup? Or lower performance seats? Probably not.

You have the chance to choose the available higher performance brakes, that to me, in theory, matches well with the M performance engine, M performance suspension setup, M performance seats, and of course the M performance mirrors, lol!

Seems to make a nice, well rounded M performance package, to me.

Good luck, you’ll enjoy the car!
I've driven both and the 2NH brakes weren't noticeably better at slowing down on the track at all. My M2 with the standard brakes is probably 200lbs lighter than the M2C though, so maybe that's why I couldn't tell the difference. But car and driver tested both cars and M2C only stops 4ft shorter than the M2 w/ standard brakes. So not a big enough difference to justify the downsides of the 2NH brakes. 4ft 70 to 0 doesn't translate to a big different on track... They also are way too grabby at slow speeds. So if you're in a lot of stop and go traffic, it's gonna be a jerky ride. I thought my M2 standard brakes were grabby when I first got them, but this are noticeably worse. Probably due to the extra pistons and larger pads, giving more bite. While the rest of the system not adding more clamping force, so fast stops aren't noticeably different.

IMO, the larger brakes aren't worth the added weight. Risk of rocks getting stuck between wheels/caliper and destroying the wheel. ~$600 more to replace all pads and rotors. Cannot run 18" which are better for the track. For those reasons, the 2NH brakes are more of a hindrance than adding any performance to the car.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 12-23-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Robin_NL8717.00
      12-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If you use your brake merely just to pace, overtake and embarrass some Altimas & Hondas on the expressway, then they work just fine.
That would be me!

BTW, I read the thread on brakes seizing stuck if put away wet.

Folks with standard (blue) brakes. Have you ever experienced brake seizing or stuck together your M2C makes sound when you roll forward? Just trying to understand if this is a common thing OR pretty rare. In several decades of car ownership, I have never had such an experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #27
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
With lose your license at 113kph (70 mph) I don't think I could own a car like this. The casual speed of traffic here on the highway is 75-80.
I was on a rental Street Glide in Nevada a couple of years ago. I had the cruise control set and sitting on 90mph. A black Chevy SUV came over the crest and flashed their headlights at me. We do that in Australia to warn other drivers/riders that there is a radar trap ahead. I waved to say thanks, thinking that was the 'message'. Nope! When they realised that my speed hadn't changed, they flicked their red and blue lights on. I disengaged the cruise control, put the blinkers on to pull over and started slowing down. As I looked back in the mirror, the SUV switched the lights out and kept going. I guess it was a warning.

Something like that will not happen in Australia. If you have a really cool highway patrol, they might look the other way for 10kph (6mph) over the limit, but most will not be that kind.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-24-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #28
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I have a 2018 M2 and track 10+ times per season (summer). Everything said before is true, they will slowly change color if tracked a lot (slower with titanium shims,wich I have).

If you don't track, don't worry about it at all, remember M4's/M3's have been tracking all day long since 2015 with these brakes, even CS models run them.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      12-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #29
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
If you don't track, don't worry about it at all, remember M4's/M3's have been tracking all day long since 2015 with these brakes, even CS models run them.
Wow! I didn't know that! Thanks for letting me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:24 AM   #30
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Driver View Post
Which cs run the blue brakes?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:49 AM   #31
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

No you don't. You don't even get a fine at 113. I set the LIM to 130 (that's a cool button US market doesn't get). 120 the cops don't bat an eyelid. 155+ you are in big trouble though.

We do have a ridiculous concept called double points in holiday periods. It is supposed to reduce road deaths on country roads. Except they apply it in the city and double the cop cars when, in fact, there is reduced traffic. This of course means you are constantly watching the speedo and not paying attention to the road. This of course then makes you a much less alert driver and more than likely increases accidents.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      12-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #32
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

No you don't. You don't even get a fine at 113. I set the LIM to 130 (that's a cool button US market doesn't get). 120 the cops don't bat an eyelid. 155+ you are in big trouble though.

We do have a ridiculous concept called double points in holiday periods. It is supposed to reduce road deaths on country roads. Except they apply it in the city and double the cop cars when, in fact, there is reduced traffic. This of course means you are constantly watching the speedo and not paying attention to the road. This of course then makes you a much less alert driver and more than likely increases accidents.
Also. Blue brakes are the best choice. The truck brakes are one of the things that puts me off the M2cs even if I do quite like the red callipers. The grey ones are invisible. Blue ones look nice. Much lighter, they work very well and if you are an extreme track person just buy some proper brakes anyway. They are total marketing. There is no squeaking. Believe me, I've run Pagid blues so I know all about squeaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #33
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurkle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Driver View Post
Which cs run the blue brakes?
They are standard on M3cs and M4cs.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #34
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Im in the states so I had no choice, but I’d probably have gotten the smaller brakes, if only so I could put 18” wheels on the car. I like how the greys feel, honestly, my very first drive with the car I found them slightly grabby, but it’s not an issue anymore and even friends who drive the car get used to it after 1 or 2 stops. They work really well but they’re progressive. I do get squeking at low speeds sometimes though.

I consider the car “over braked” with the greys. Certainly not a bad problem to have and I like how they look, but probably not the choice I would’ve made had I had one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #35
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Also. Blue brakes are the best choice. The truck brakes are one of the things that puts me off the M2cs even if I do quite like the red callipers.
"Truck brakes" That's funny.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #36
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I consider the car “over braked” with the greys. Certainly not a bad problem to have and I like how they look, but probably not the choice I would’ve made had I had one.
So folks in the States can only buy M2C with M Performance (grey) brakes?

"Over braked" - I remember driving a vehicle preferred by senior citizens many years ago. Some of those cars had touchy brakes. I didn't enjoy driving them for several reasons, but the over-sensitive brakes were one of them. I'm sure M2C is nothing like that, but more I hear from existing owners, more I think that they are a bit of an overkill for the road.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-25-2019 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

lol @ the amount of people using anecdotal experiences and subjective opinions as gospel.
Appreciate 2
Brandt51889.00
AndrewC198910931.00
      12-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #38
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
lol @ the amount of people using anecdotal experiences and subjective opinions as gospel.
OP specifically said in his original post: "Thanks for sharing your stories." Hence, what's wrong with everyone sharing their stories / anecdotes?

Now, had OP requested peer reviewed journal article references with only those demonstrating at least 5,000 controlled samples of instrumented testing... and THEN folks came back with anecdotes, then I would agree wholeheartedly with you, and I would also LOL at everyone.

But as it stands, it seems to me that everyone else is being pretty pro-social and posting stories as OP originally requested.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
natmad667.00
      12-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #39
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

By the way, OP, my understanding of the physics behind braking is that all else being equal, the larger brakes will not affect braking distance. I know it's counter-intuitive, but on something like the M2C, the blue brakes are already so powerful that when you jam on them, they will engage the ABS, and at that point the limiting factor is the friction that the tires can generate against the asphalt. So, on the M2C, it's the stickiness of the tires that determines the stopping distance, not the size of the brake discs or number of calipers, etc.

The reason for having larger discs, ultimately, then, is to have a larger surface area for better heat dissipation. When you're on the track and truly pushing the car to its limits, larger discs allow for better heat dissipation, which enables one to do more repeated laps on the circuit without having to come in and allow the brakes to cool down for long periods of time.

So, what that would tell me is that if you don't plan on tracking, the blue brakes really will be more than enough.

I'm in the US, so the grey brakes came with my M2C, but had I had the option, I would definitely have chosen the blue brakes as I don't track the car - would have saved unsprung weight, saved money, and I like the look of the blue calipers too. As someone else mentioned in a previous comment, for someone like me who uses the car as a DD and weekend canyon carver, the only benefit to having the grey brake package is all the bro's who see my car and shout to me on the street, "Awesome brakes, yo!"
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
Supernaut391.00
      12-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #40
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
But as it stands, it seems to me that everyone else is being pretty pro-social and posting stories as OP originally requested.
I have indeed requested other members experiences and stories regarding their brakes. When read collectively, I got a lot out of those stories and what I can expect from my blue brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #41
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
By the way, OP, my understanding of the physics behind braking is that all else being equal, the larger brakes will not affect braking distance. I know it's counter-intuitive, but on something like the M2C, the blue brakes are already so powerful that when you jam on them, they will engage the ABS, and at that point the limiting factor is the friction that the tires can generate against the asphalt. So, on the M2C, it's the stickiness of the tires that determines the stopping distance, not the size of the brake discs or number of calipers, etc.

The reason for having larger discs, ultimately, then, is to have a larger surface area for better heat dissipation. When you're on the track and truly pushing the car to its limits, larger discs allow for better heat dissipation, which enables one to do more repeated laps on the circuit without having to come in and allow the brakes to cool down for long periods of time.
Thank you for your analysis. I have not though about the M2 brakes like this. It does make sense. Now that I want to see is a youtube video of blue brake M2C and grey brake M2C performing the 60mph - zero.

Quote:
So, what that would tell me is that if you don't plan on tracking, the blue brakes really will be more than enough.
I am more convinced of this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #42
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Had the blue brakes on the F80 and M sport brakes on the F30. I thought both were great. I have the larger brakes on the M2 and they are really good as well.

Biggest drawback for me is you cannot fit 18 inch wheels over the larger brakes. Had a set of 513M wheels from the F80 I wanted to use as winter wheels; no go.

So, the larger brakes are heavier and also incur another weight penalty of being forced to use larger wheels. I know a lot of track guys would love to use 18s (Apex, etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #43
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
But they're a lot heavier in a place that matters
not really. They’re not a rotating mass unless you think the calipers are 15kg more.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #44
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Blue’s are super easy to swap pads. Uses a punch and small hammer to get the retaining pins in/out and that’s it. Other than removing tire. Takes 2 mins once your tire is off, maybe less than that.
I think the silver ones require the caliper to be removed to swap pads. So a few more steps and tools for that.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50