BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Powertrain malfunction after tune

06-26-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
ShreddedFatso
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI 2018 DCT

Unhappy Powertrain malfunction after tune

My 2018 m2 n55 dct got a powertrain malfunction notice earlier today.

I was accelerating almost fully with sport+ and transmission in D automatic mode. The car accelerated well for the the first two gears but then it suddenly bugged down alot and started slowing down heavily. The engine light came on and the powertrain malfunction notice came on telling me to drive slowly, to contact repair and full power isnt available. (Pic for reference it is just in finnish language).

After this i stopped the car and turned it off and locked doors, went back in and the engine light went off but the powertrain notice was still on. I drove very slowly for a while and repeated the same (turn off car and let it wait for a few mins and went back in). The notice was still on but i started driving home very slowly and carefully. The notice somehow went off halfway to my home but i still drove carefully back.

My car has about 30 000km and quite recently ive had a custom tuning shop install an xhp stage 3 transmission software which specifically tinkers with the sport+ mode and changes the ratios and shifting overall. The car also has a stage 2+ ecu tune.

My concern is that is it safe for me to drive my car normally even if the notice came off(for now) or should i take it to maintenance. I have warranty for the tune but im pretty much at loss here in panick. Has this happened to others who have gotten a transmission tune? Should i worry?
Attached Images

Last edited by ShreddedFatso; 06-26-2023 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

What software is it tuned with?
Have you reviewed any data logs?
What did the tuner say?

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 06-26-2023 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:20 PM   #3
ShreddedFatso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
What software is it tuned with?
Have you reviewed any data logs?
What did the tuner say?
I am not entirely sure since they made a custom software but they used quantums software for the engine and the transmission got a xhp flashtool stage 3. The tuner said theyve done multiple m2’s before with the same map and theyve ran well so its a safe map. The tune has been working very well but this problem came very suddenly when I accelarated fully. I havent reviewed any data logs.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:15 PM   #4
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddedFatso View Post
I am not entirely sure since they made a custom software but they used quantums software for the engine and the transmission got a xhp flashtool stage 3. The tuner said theyve done multiple m2’s before with the same map and theyve ran well so its a safe map. The tune has been working very well but this problem came very suddenly when I accelarated fully. I havent reviewed any data logs.
What other mods do you have? Was the charge pipe upgraded?
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 08:31 PM   #5
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddedFatso View Post
I am not entirely sure since they made a custom software, but they used quantums software for the engine and the transmission got a xhp flashtool stage 3.

The tuner said they’ve done multiple m2’s before with the same map and they've ran well so it’s a safe map. The tune has been working very well, but this problem came very suddenly when I accelerated fully.

I haven’t reviewed any data logs.
Talk to your tuner. Seek their support in reviewing the codes the car threw and some data logs to confirm that the car is running as expected going forward.

Ask them to review the logs with you so that you understand what’s what in a datalog and you can both be comfortable with how the car is running going forward.

If they’re no help with the above, find another tuner and/or shop.

I also recommend getting more informed on exactly what’s being done to your car. Not knowing the software your car is tuned with, blindly trusting a tuner, and not seeing and data logs opens you up to finding yourself in exactly the situation you’re in unfortunately.

I definitely wouldn’t just ignore it and continue on without the above.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 06-26-2023 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 02:39 AM   #6
ShreddedFatso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
What other mods do you have? Was the charge pipe upgraded?
Yes there is an aluminium charge pipe, vrsf intercooler, mst intake and hjs downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 02:41 AM   #7
ShreddedFatso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Talk to your tuner. Seek their support in reviewing the codes the car threw and some data logs to confirm that the car is running as expected going forward.

Ask them to review the logs with you so that you understand what’s what in a datalog and you can both be comfortable with how the car is running going forward.

If they’re no help with the above, find another tuner and/or shop.

I also recommend getting more informed on exactly what’s being done to your car. Not knowing the software your car is tuned with, blindly trusting a tuner, and not seeing and data logs opens you up to finding yourself in exactly the situation you’re in unfortunately.

I definitely wouldn’t just ignore it and continue on without the above.
Thank you i will contact the tuner and talk about the situation with him. Just confusing to me since he said the tune should be very safe since hes done multiple of these before.
Appreciate 0