BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Differential Lift Kit - Amazing sound

08-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #23
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
It was time consuming but stoked to go through the process at home on my quick jacks. Having a full lift would make things easier but hey, I can't have it all...yet.

Here are the only two pics I remembered to take, I still have the rest of the car to put back together so I won't be able to chime in how it drives for a while.

What's the process on installing this lift kit? Is welding or fabrication work required?
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #24
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

It is fairly straightforward. Drop subframe, unbolt, press in new bushings and torque then put subframe back up. No welding or fabrication.
      12-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #25
imolam3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Imola M3, 2017 AW M2 PE

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...f82-m4-f87-m2/

I’m thinking of getting the AKG diff bushings. Installed all AKG bushings on my e46 M3 track car, they make high quality parts.
2017 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #26
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Maybe just get the uprated BMW Poly bush?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 11:13 PM   #27
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Are you guys running the schirmer kit or the turner kit? Or are they the same?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #28
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
Are you guys running the schirmer kit or the turner kit? Or are they the same?
I'm running the Schirmer kit on a 2018 M2. The sound is nice with the windows up, radio off, and a full interior. Once you go WOT it's a little harder to distinguish the diff whine from the engine and exhaust sounds if you're full interior on a high flow cat + Remus cat-back like I am, but it's still audible and adds to the overall race car sound track that's playing

Aside from the sound, the most prominent thing that I noticed was a much tighter rear end (less slop). I installed the kit at the same time as full SPL kinematics and Millway rear bushings. The power now gets sent immediately to the rear wheels, which I can attribute fully to the dual mounting points and solid bushings on the Schirmer kit. It literally feels like a motor on wheels.

One of the KMP kits is closer to the Schirmer kit than the Turner one as it actually lifts the differential to improve suspension geometry. This one: https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/produc...t-bracket-kit/

The Turner kit doesn't do this.

Also just keep in mind that the Schirmer kit comes with solid bushings. So there will be minor variances in terms of sound and feel.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 2
eldogo274.00
Telluride119.00
      02-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #29
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

I'm torn between the Schirmer kit and the KMP offset kit. Im lowered on coil overs and have a few SPL arms. I want to correct the geometry and get the benefits mentioned above. Can you suspension guru's please give some insight to help me decide between the two manufactures?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #30
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase2addict View Post
I'm torn between the Schirmer kit and the KMP offset kit. Im lowered on coil overs and have a few SPL arms. I want to correct the geometry and get the benefits mentioned above. Can you suspension guru's please give some insight to help me decide between the two manufactures?
Go with the company that you want to support/ what your wallet can support. Differences are mostly aesthetic.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:30 PM   #31
Telluride
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
I'm running the Schirmer kit on a 2018 M2. The sound is nice with the windows up, radio off, and a full interior. Once you go WOT it's a little harder to distinguish the diff whine from the engine and exhaust sounds if you're full interior on a high flow cat + Remus cat-back like I am, but it's still audible and adds to the overall race car sound track that's playing

Aside from the sound, the most prominent thing that I noticed was a much tighter rear end (less slop). I installed the kit at the same time as full SPL kinematics and Millway rear bushings. The power now gets sent immediately to the rear wheels, which I can attribute fully to the dual mounting points and solid bushings on the Schirmer kit. It literally feels like a motor on wheels.

One of the KMP kits is closer to the Schirmer kit than the Turner one as it actually lifts the differential to improve suspension geometry. This one: https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/produc...t-bracket-kit/

The Turner kit doesn't do this.

Also just keep in mind that the Schirmer kit comes with solid bushings. So there will be minor variances in terms of sound and feel.
^This! Had KMP rear diff bracket with offset bushings installed this week and my initial driving impression... excellent upgrade! This is a huge help for the M2's tendency for wheel hop. And I now understand why the BMW factory only used one bolt when attaching the M2's rear diff to the frame. Because the KMP bracket transfers gear whine into the car interior. Nothing to the degree of what is heard from in car camera shots of your favorite IMSA sports car race. But you will definitely hear whine... just at a much lesser decibel and it sounds glorious!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 04:53 PM   #32
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

I just installed the Team Schirmer Lift kit. Initially I was like the whine was alil more than I expected. I dont daily drive the car so it wasn't a huge deal to me. but after driving it more and more with the radio on and such I dont notice it as much as my first drive. I do feel more power going to the wheel as the car is losing traction more easily (as im still stock with just an exhaust)

I understand the whine wont be for everybody.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 06:12 PM   #33
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
^This! Had KMP rear diff bracket with offset bushings installed this week and my initial driving impression... excellent upgrade! This is a huge help for the M2's tendency for wheel hop. And I now understand why the BMW factory only used one bolt when attaching the M2's rear diff to the frame. Because the KMP bracket transfers gear whine into the car interior. Nothing to the degree of what is heard from in car camera shots of your favorite IMSA sports car race. But you will definitely hear whine... just at a much lesser decibel and it sounds glorious!
You are confused, the lift kit can be used with stock bushings and you would not have any noise.

This is my kit using oem bushings:

BMW does not use 4-point bracket for another reason, unrelated to noise.
Neither M4 GT4 nor the M2CSR, which are racing cars, use 4-point brackets

Last edited by Track/S; 11-04-2023 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1777.00
chris7197334.00
      11-07-2023, 05:48 PM   #34
Telluride
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
You are confused, the lift kit can be used with stock bushings and you would not have any noise.

Ahh, cool... I did not know.

For me, I want full engagement when behind the wheel, both physically and audibly. So I appreciate the direct feel and associated noise.

Do you have factory race engineer commentary or other facts as to why this change is not beneficial? It is curious BMW designed and put into production, a 2nd mount point for the F80/F87 diff. In the the couple drives I've done since this upgrade, I had a few instances which previously would have caused wheel hop. Would like to understand why this not considered beneficial or what trade off you believe we've made? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #35
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

Rear diff dual mount btracket + OEM poly bushes is the way I'd go if/when time comes to replace the single rubber rear miount bush on my OG M2.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:04 PM   #36
WoodyOGM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Started researching this due to needing to lift the diff to achieve more ground clearance, not just to correct the alignment or the noise. Seems the KMP lift kit is only lifting 10mm, which doesn’t sound like a big gain for the money.

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:33 PM   #37
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyOGM2 View Post
Started researching this due to needing to lift the diff to achieve more ground clearance, not just to correct the alignment or the noise. Seems the KMP lift kit is only lifting 10mm, which doesn’t sound like a big gain for the money.

Am I missing something?
There is no room to raise more than 10mm.

My lift kit raises 10mm and the front support and subframe has to be filed
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 02:29 AM   #38
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Millway Motorsport in Sweden has a 10 mm lift kit which uses dual OEM poly bushes in the rear, think they're the cheapest as far as I have seen also on this kit. Very high quality products, use them on several of my cars.

https://www.millway.se/dual-mount-di...f80-m4f82.html
      01-23-2024, 03:16 PM   #39
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
Millway Motorsport in Sweden has a 10 mm lift kit which uses dual OEM poly bushes in the rear, think they're the cheapest as far as I have seen also on this kit. Very high quality products, use them on several of my cars.
Sorry but no, it's not the cheapest.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:10 PM   #40
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sorry but no, it's not the cheapest.
Please do share.
      01-23-2024, 08:37 PM   #41
Telluride
Private
Rep

Quote:
Please do share.
I am in the U.S. Shipping to Europe might negate the savings... but where I got my KMP for a better price.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...et-bushing-set
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:59 AM   #42
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Please do share.
My kit that you can see above for forum users 750e + 50e shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
I am in the U.S. Shipping to Europe might negate the savings... but where I got my KMP for a better price.
This kit is not suitable for street use, unless you are 20 years old and you don't care about all the noises.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:28 AM   #43
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
This kit is not suitable for street use, unless you are 20 years old and you don't care about all the noises.
+1

Not just noise, the vibrations on solid mounts will be unbareable.
      01-24-2024, 02:10 AM   #44
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
+1

Not just noise, the vibrations on solid mounts will be unbareable.
Yes I know because I have sold several kits with solid bushings for track use and the noises/klonck/vibrations are unbearable.
I would not mount it under any circumstances for street use.
Appreciate 0