BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 brake pads upgrade recommendation

12-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
adesalos
Rep
Drives: ferrari challenge stradale

M2 brake pads upgrade recommendation

I drive a 2016 M2. I need to replace my brake pads, and need advice. I do 2-3 track days a year, and the rest is street drive. I would like to upgrade from OEM pads. Struggling to find good options. Pagid RSL29 or 19 seem to be too track focused. What about Pagid RS44? Are these available for M2? where to buy? Any other recommendations, or comments?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesalos View Post
I drive a 2016 M2. I need to replace my brake pads, and need advice. I do 2-3 track days a year, and the rest is street drive. I would like to upgrade from OEM pads. Struggling to find good options. Pagid RSL29 or 19 seem to be too track focused. What about Pagid RS44? Are these available for M2? where to buy? Any other recommendations, or comments?
The best pad that you can keep on the car for both street and track is Porterfield R4S. Do keep in mind that this is not a track pad but it does perform much better than OEM. The next level is the Ferodo DS2500, it can handle light track days and still be okay for street use.

https://www.hpashop.com/Porterfield-...ield-F8x-M.htm

https://www.hpashop.com/Ferodo-F80-F...?categoryId=-1

Last edited by HP Autosport; 07-04-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The best pad that you can keep on the car for both street and track is Porterfield R4S. Do keep in mind that this is not a track pad but it does perform much better than OEM. The next level is the Ferodo DS2500, it can handle light track days and still be okay for street use.

https://www.hpashop.com/Porter-field...?categoryId=-1

https://www.hpashop.com/searchquick-...eywords=ds2500
Could you hook me up with a quote shipped to 98198 for front/rear on both options? Also wasn't totally clear on the sensors, why would I need/not need them? Car is stock now, 2018 M2 LCI (non-comp)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Why not just buy the BMW Performance Pads? Guaranteed to fit, and designed to cope with higher work rates than the stock items

Warrantee friendly too..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I run ferodo ds2500 front and rear for daily and autocross. I switch my fronts to ferodo ds1.11 for track days. I absolutely love the feel of them. However, my only complaint is for daily driving the ds2500 are as dusty as stock pads (maybe even a bit more dusty, if that’s even possible)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Note absolutely no squealing for daily driving with ds2500. The ds1.11 sounds similar to your local garbage truck brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Anyone here have or have heard someone else's experience about the new EBC RP1 pads?
      07-05-2019, 12:58 AM   #8
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

I have some endless mx72 being flown over from Japan - should arrive soon - will post impressions.

I was going to go the ferrodo route, but really didn't want the dust - the mx72 seem to be the next best option.

Expensive when bought locally, but nengun in Japan have a sale on
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:19 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Why not just buy the BMW Performance Pads? Guaranteed to fit, and designed to cope with higher work rates than the stock items

Warrantee friendly too..
+1 for oem MPerf sport pads.

Had them on my M135i and have a set to fit in my M2 soon, once current pads expire...

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesalos View Post
Endless MX72 ?!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
I have some endless mx72 being flown over from Japan - should arrive soon - will post impressions.

I was going to go the ferrodo route, but really didn't want the dust - the mx72 seem to be the next best option.

Expensive when bought locally, but nengun in Japan have a sale on
Can confirm Ferodo DS2500 has a lot of dust, I use them for daily & b-road'ing. But reason I use them for daily is because does not require re-bedding in when I switch to DSUNO for the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
Neutrino
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Note absolutely no squealing for daily driving with ds2500. The ds1.11 sounds similar to your local garbage truck brakes.

this is what i'm looking for also, dust I can handle - just wash the car - but squealing brakes are super annoying when just driving around

btw how do they behave in colder temps? still bite ok?

Right now (from what I've been reading) I'm leaning towards the ds2500 for street driving / spirited driving in the hills .... I do wonder how they compare against the M perf pads though
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #13
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Sorry guys, having experienced this myself with both a Mustang and an M2 I can tell you only track worthy pads will shatter your ear drums. If it’s quiet its garbage at the track. I use PFC now after using Carbotech and Ferodo.

Street is street and track is track. There is no in between.

You can probably do your first day ever on DS 2500 by when you start pushing late into brake zones you will evaporate them and also boil stock brake fluid. You need pads that can take 1600+ F and fluid which won’t boil at 600F

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-06-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #14
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

If you want to get the most out of your track day (aka no/little fade and no pad deposits), you'll most likely need to use track pads. They will squeal though.

For street, I just run Power Stop Z23 $90/set carbon ceramic pads, they work great and have almost zero dust. I'd say they are an insanely good value - I got them over a year ago and still plenty of pad left, and when I do need to replace them it's only $90. I wouldn't take them on the track, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Heard good things about Hawk HPS 5.0's... I'm going to upgrade my street pad setup to these in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #16
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

+1 for Hawk HPS 5.0

I've had Hawk HPS 5.0s on my 328i for years, and they were a major improvement over OEM pads when it came to dust and performance. I do get some noise randomly now and then (usually after a mountain run). I tracked my 328i 5 days last year, and the Hawk pads were awesome for me as a novice.

After reading that the OEM M2 pads would melt on the track, I decided to go with Hawk HPS 5.0s for my M2. For my situation it's been a great choice. I'm still an HPDE novice, but I experienced zero fade my first track day in the M2. Dusting seems much better than OEM, and I don't see rusted dust on my wheels, which annoyed the crap out of me with the OEM pads. The pedal feel on the street is way better too. I always thought the OEM pads seemed very "grabby" and were tough to apply gently, but the Hawks feel very smooth. I also haven't heard any noise, which I believe is a benefit of the cross-drilled rotors.

Anyways, I'd highly recommend the Hawk HPS 5.0s for anyone, unless you're an experienced HPDE driver who needs more aggressive pads to swap in for track days.
      01-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #17
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
I've had Hawk HPS 5.0s on my 328i for years, and they were a major improvement over OEM pads when it came to dust and performance. I do get some noise randomly now and then (usually after a mountain run). I tracked my 328i 5 days last year, and the Hawk pads were awesome for me as a novice.

After reading that the OEM M2 pads would melt on the track, I decided to go with Hawk HPS 5.0s for my M2. For my situation it's been a great choice. I'm still an HPDE novice, but I experienced zero fade my first track day in the M2. Dusting seems much better than OEM, and I don't see rusted dust on my wheels, which annoyed the crap out of me with the OEM pads. The pedal feel on the street is way better too. I always thought the OEM pads seemed very "grabby" and were tough to apply gently, but the Hawks feel very smooth. I also haven't heard any noise, which I believe is a benefit of the cross-drilled rotors.

Anyways, I'd highly recommend the Hawk HPS 5.0s for anyone, unless you're an experienced HPDE driver who needs more aggressive pads to swap in for track days.
I have used Hawk DCT 60s and PFC08s. The later last longer but also squeal more in street driving. You can easily change the pads (fronts produce most of the house); should take you less than 30 mins to swap pads once you've done it a few times.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #18
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Good choice for performance street, autocross and very light track day use.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

You don't have issues with them when cold or wet? I had to get rid of HPS 5.0 on my Mazda because I'd get this initial lack of bite that was scary at times. Obviously, the BMW brakes are usually a little grabby so this might balance out.

If I replace stock pads on my M2C I would probably try Endless MX72+, Porterfield R4S, or Ferodo DS2500.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #20
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

You don't have issues with them when cold or wet? I had to get rid of HPS 5.0 on my Mazda because I'd get this initial lack of bite that was scary at times. Obviously, the BMW brakes are usually a little grabby so this might balance out.
I haven't had any issues with the hawks in cold or rain or light snow the past five years on my 328 or the past two months with my m2. Always rock solid.
chris7197331.50
      01-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I haven't had any issues with the hawks in cold or rain or light snow the past five years on my 328 or the past two months with my m2. Always rock solid.
I had the exact same experience as these S4 guys:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...e-wet-and-cold

Hopefully the pads have improved or it's just an issue with some rotors or pad shapes. They were bad enough I'd never use a Hawk product again. I bedded them per instructions and put 25k miles on them and it never improved. I replaced them with Raybestos EHT which were a big improvement. I'd use those again no problem, but they aren't available in M2C shapes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #22
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
I had the exact same experience as these S4 guys:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...e-wet-and-cold

Hopefully the pads have improved or it's just an issue with some rotors or pad shapes. They were bad enough I'd never use a Hawk product again. I bedded them per instructions and put 25k miles on them and it never improved. I replaced them with Raybestos EHT which were a big improvement. I'd use those again no problem, but they aren't available in M2C shapes.
Did you use old rotors with the new Hawk pads? My shop said they've had issues with properly bedding new pads on rotors that previously had a different pad compound…especially if the old pads were ceramics. Luckily moving from OEM pads to Hawks worked fine for me.

I do wonder if rotor "self-cleaning" in wet conditions, where BMWs automatically lightly touch the pads to the rotors surface to remove water, could be preventing the wet issue for me. Both of my cars have that feature I'm pretty sure.