BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 c/w MP coilovers - added front camber using OEM parts

04-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #45
Sam-R
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
For anyone that has done this mod, have you checked before and after clearance between the strut and the tire? It seems that this mod would reduce inner tire clearance at the strut.
This is something I’d also like to know

KW clubsports don't have amazing clearance and camber adjustment runs out at -3
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #46
S2000_Europe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 "Stripper" Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
In the interest of keeping this information in one place, here is how I went about installing the new hubs and new bearings and what I learned.

[deleted pics]
By any chance do you have the bolts torque specs and how long it take it?
MY02 S2000 > MY11 STI > MY01 E46 M3 > MY05 S2000 > MY06 911 C2S > MY88 944 TURBO S > MY17 STI > MY17 SS 1LE > C7 GS w/ ZO7 package > MY18 ZL1 >MY20 F87> MY17 F80 ZCP> MY18 Subaru STi Type RA > MY13 E92 "Stripper"
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 11:49 PM   #47
joejenie
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2c

Weird camber issue

So I just installed these new hubs to get more camber on my 21 m2c. Had my local Bmw indie shop do the work. In front, the base alignment camber was -1.0 on the left and -1.5 on the right. They played with it on the alignment rack for 2 hours after the install and could only get -1.3 on the left now and -1.8 on the right. So both sides improved -.3 but we thought we would get -.5. We can’t figure out why the left won’t adjust as much as the right. Toe on both sides is .01 in so basically 0. Thoughts? Car is completely stock with stock wheels other than the new hubs. Tires are 255/35/19 on front and 275/35/19 on back. AO52s. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 03:33 AM   #48
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

.5 degrees difference between the two sides sounds like a lot - how did you have the car ballasted?

Update: Also, what were the rear settings measured at? Have you got a before and after print out you could take a picture of and post?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 03:42 AM   #49
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-R View Post
This is something I’d also like to know

KW clubsports don't have amazing clearance and camber adjustment runs out at -3
I think you could work on the basis that it is adjusted around the centre line, so you could assume its less that 2.5mm n a 19 and nearer 2mm on your 18's to the rim edge

I am super pleased with my hubs and hated the NVH with Milway 'street' camber plates
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1775.50
      12-31-2021, 09:30 AM   #50
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The M2 CS Racing appears to use the standard hubs with 10.5" x 18" rims. But does also have camber plates and the springs are cylindrical.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #51
joejenie
Rep

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=83301

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=83302

Here are the alignment before and after specs.

I also have the old knuckles/hubs for sale here if anyone is interested:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...3#post28415753

Last edited by joejenie; 12-31-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #52
joejenie
Rep

No one has seen this problem?

So no one has seen this problem where the left side is different than the right? Surprising actuallly. I guess I'll take it to the dealer (tried a BMW inde shop who installed the nuckes but he couldn't figure it out). Any thoughts woudl be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #53
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejenie View Post
So no one has seen this problem where the left side is different than the right? Surprising actuallly. I guess I'll take it to the dealer (tried a BMW inde shop who installed the nuckes but he couldn't figure it out). Any thoughts woudl be appreciated.
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but do you know the car's full history? Sometimes cars have damage before delivery and are repaired at the receiving port.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:20 AM   #54
joejenie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but do you know the car's full history? Sometimes cars have damage before delivery and are repaired at the receiving port.
No clue on this information. I bought the car used with 5k miles on it. So who knows what it could be. All I can do is take it to a dealer at this point I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:56 PM   #55
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejenie View Post
No clue on this information. I bought the car used with 5k miles on it. So who knows what it could be. All I can do is take it to a dealer at this point I guess.
Any news on this? In my case it's either going this route or just doing camber plates and calling it a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:21 PM   #56
azacad
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
For anyone that has done this mod, have you checked before and after clearance between the strut and the tire? It seems that this mod would reduce inner tire clearance at the strut.
Like they say “resurrecting an old thread”.

I read this posts last year and went ahead with the mod on an M2C (CS knuckles, hubs, M performance HAS) and somehow missed this question. I am experiencing rubbing of the front tire on the spring, using 19” Apex Wheels with 255/35/19 Tires. I put a 5 mm spacer which is the most that the replaced wheel stud kit will take. Visually there is (minimal) clearance but still there’s ocassional rubbing.

Any idea what else to do? Wider spacer with longer studs? I love the wheels, I love the suspension. I dont have camber plates the camber was achieved with lowering and the CS knuckles and I am pleased except of course for this issue.

Thank in advance!

Last edited by azacad; 03-06-2023 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:41 AM   #57
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Assume you are ET 28 ? I run 9.5 ET 22 with -ve camber hubs, you might be better off with say 7.5mm Turner motorsport spacer, they are hub centric

If you can see where the tyre is rubbing a little file or Dremel just to take 1-2mm off that section might be a consideration (Not tube obviously but height plate)
Appreciate 1
azacad6.00
      03-07-2023, 09:11 PM   #58
azacad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Assume you are ET 28 ? I run 9.5 ET 22 with -ve camber hubs, you might be better off with say 7.5mm Turner motorsport spacer, they are hub centric

If you can see where the tyre is rubbing a little file or Dremel just to take 1-2mm off that section might be a consideration (Not tube obviously but height plate)
Yes ET 28. I bought the wheels initially for the stock suspension so I didn’t even consider getting ET 22 or use a 5mm spacer beforehand. Well now I know…🙄

The thing is even with the 5mm I get rubbing. And dont worry about taking the Dremel to the height adjuster… the tire has been wearing it down on its own. 😆 Probably the reason it is now only “ocassional”. It has not affected its function (yet). The spring also has its paint worn at the contact point. It still is a safety concern for me.

I wrote to Bimmerworld and the very knowledgeable Randolph King wrote back a very detailed description on spacers, stud length and safety. What I will do is determine if 7.5 is still good for the studs I have and go from there. Don’t want to push it outwards too much either.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #59
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by azacad View Post
Like they say “resurrecting an old thread”.

I read this posts last year and went ahead with the mod on an M2C (CS knuckles, hubs, M performance HAS) and somehow missed this question. I am experiencing rubbing of the front tire on the spring, using 19” Apex Wheels with 255/35/19 Tires. I put a 5 mm spacer which is the most that the replaced wheel stud kit will take. Visually there is (minimal) clearance but still there’s ocassional rubbing.

Any idea what else to do? Wider spacer with longer studs? I love the wheels, I love the suspension. I dont have camber plates the camber was achieved with lowering and the CS knuckles and I am pleased except of course for this issue.

Thank in advance!
what's your front camber now?
      03-08-2023, 05:59 PM   #60
azacad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
what's your front camber now?
Ohh boy… glad you asked I was under the impression it was more negative but this is what I found after the CS knuckles and the lowered suspension and alignement.

Surprisingly I have not destroyed the front tires (at the track) so I am likely driving around the problem... they do of course wear the outer shoulders more.
Attached Images

Last edited by azacad; 03-08-2023 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:52 PM   #61
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by azacad View Post
Ohh boy… glad you asked I was under the impression it was more negative but this is what I found after the CS knuckles and the lowered suspension and alignement.

Surprisingly I have not destroyed the front tires (at the track) so I am likely driving around the problem... they do of course wear the outer shoulders more.
Wait, so you've not gained any negative camber?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #62
azacad
Rep

To be clear I dont have measurements BEFORE the CS knuckles and HAS. From what I read baseline stock is between 1.2 to max 1.5? So probably I did gain front camber. My “baseline” with knuckles installed and HAS lowered is below. Further alignment yields no front neg camber gain which makes sense if there is no real further adjustability. Not so for the rear I did gain there. I was hoping for closer to -2.5 front without camber plates but this is in line with what others with similar parts have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 11:01 PM   #63
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

This mod sounds cool and won't drastically affect tyre wear for the commuting?

With regard to recommendations to cut threads for new or old bearings being used what does this mean? Tapping the holes.?

I know expensive but don't need -3 camber and it's OE.

Would work with my B16s? (lowered but still -1.26 and -1.3 L/R camber)

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 03:24 AM   #64
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
This mod sounds cool and won't drastically affect tyre wear for the commuting?

With regard to recommendations to cut threads for new or old bearings being used what does this mean? Tapping the holes.?

I know expensive but don't need -3 camber and it's OE.

Would work with my B16s? (lowered but still -1.26 and -1.3 L/R camber)

Cheers
Hi

Yes - can confirm even tyre wear for DD.

When swapping over wheel bearing housing these are held in with single use bolts so just need fresh bolts to fit existing front hub bearings into camber correction hub carriers.

Should be ok with B16 - I’ve had these installed for a long time with MP c/overs and zero issues.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #65
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Hi

Yes - can confirm even tyre wear for DD.

When swapping over wheel bearing housing these are held in with single use bolts so just need fresh bolts to fit existing front hub bearings into camber correction hub carriers.

Should be ok with B16 - I’ve had these installed for a long time with MP c/overs and zero issues.
Thanks BP, I came across this all again as wanting to see why the M2CS is so praised in its handling, thought surely our cars can be modified in some way? One internet search later annnnd..
Hear you re new bolts being needed, sounds good.

Did you go 255/275 in the end as that is what I am running, no rubbing up front?

Presumably I would still otherwise align the car to Litchfield spec albeit with the half degree additional camber?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:22 AM   #66
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Thanks BP, I came across this all again as wanting to see why the M2CS is so praised in its handling, thought surely our cars can be modified in some way? One internet search later annnnd..
Hear you re new bolts being needed, sounds good.

Did you go 255/275 in the end as that is what I am running, no rubbing up front?

Presumably I would still otherwise align the car to Litchfield spec albeit with the half degree additional camber?
255 upfront on track and winter wheels - no issues with either.

Litchfield alignment with extra front camber will no doubt work well

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0