BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Thoughts about the Active EL midpipe and 'rasp'..

01-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #67
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Sorry about the delay on install DIY and subsequent comparison video: Damn covid finally got me last week, so really haven't done a thing in almost a week.

I will have everything posted up asap.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #68
scarygary
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinIT View Post
I am glad I am not the only one with this concern.
2020 M2C
Stock DP
AA EL Non Resonated
AA Axleback

During WOT and most times sounds great. But if I happen to have the car in sport, but have the transmission in the smoothest setting, part throttle sounds terrible, like fart can Civic terrible. Part throttle in efficient sounds like this nearly all the time. It is awful.

I eliminated all the vibrations, as many other stated this was primarily alignment or heatshield related. Once I got that right, then I noticed the rasp more. (Sounds identical to the OP's first video).

I have reduced this some:

1. I found that the small (unnecessary in my opinion)brace between the two exhaust exit pipe had broken on the passenger side, but it was next to impossible to see. I pried it far enough away from the side that had broken, and it eliminated some of the noise.

2. The torcas they supply are no able to really prevent any form of exhaust leak as evidenced by the sound and drips on the floor). I ended up snapping off a bolt while trying to get it tighter. Replaced bolts and used exhaust sealant. That reduced the exhaust leak.

3. Next to address; the ball clamps. These do leak as evidence by a slight exhaust leak sound, and the water/carbon drops on the floor. I'm not sure why they chose this option to join these pipes. I need to measure the bolts and older some grade 8 hardware before I attempt this. I'll also use the exhaust putty to help prevent this as well.
Mine leaks as well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #69
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C / Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc335 View Post
Just another data point. I recently installed the Active Autowerke Equal Length Midpipe (Resonated) and Valved Rear Axle-Back Exhaust with stock downpipes on my M2C 6MT and have zero rasp or rattle under cold, warming up, or fully warmed up conditions. This exhaust combo sounds amazing!
I am considering swapping to the resonated pipes. I bought the non-res EL and their signature valved exhaust. Outside of the fart can sound around 2K and part throttle, I love it. But there are so many times I am driving the car that you hit that very spot and it sounds awful. It sounds like this should have been paired with the resonated ELs.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #70
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinIT View Post
I am considering swapping to the resonated pipes. I bought the non-res EL and their signature valved exhaust. Outside of the fart can sound around 2K and part throttle, I love it. But there are so many times I am driving the car that you hit that very spot and it sounds awful. It sounds like this should have been paired with the resonated ELs.
I have a resonated EL midpipe and it also sounds like a fart can around 2K, but only in the first couple of minutes when the car is warming up. After that, it goes away completely. I am currently on stock muffler though and am ordering the AA valved exhaust soon to replace it. How much louder is the EL midpipe + valved exhaust in efficient and sport mode? I'm hoping for something that is relatively quiet in efficient but much louder in sport. Is there droning?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #71
scarygary
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
I have a resonated EL midpipe and it also sounds like a fart can around 2K, but only in the first couple of minutes when the car is warming up. After that, it goes away completely. I am currently on stock muffler though and am ordering the AA valved exhaust soon to replace it. How much louder is the EL midpipe + valved exhaust in efficient and sport mode? I'm hoping for something that is relatively quiet in efficient but much louder in sport. Is there droning?
https://youtu.be/bsNBLeX_hAY

Here is a couple light revs in sport+ maybe up to 5k. I cannot comment on stock box vs AA as I went from complete stock to EL mid and AA axleback
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:00 PM   #72
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
This really was the final missing piece for my exhaust setup, and couldn't be more pleased in the result. Every piece built towards the whole, downpipes, EL midpipe and now axle-back exhaust.

The whole octave range is shifted down, sounds much more aggressive and a deeper note throughout.

I am really impressed by this change, and also uses the OEM valve actuators so you don't loose that functionality, or have to use a new remote.

Really impressed..

FULL exhaust suite comparison, every single component, will be out next week!

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 2
Cboy39.00
      01-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #73
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post

I've not heard any droning with the non resonated, at highway speeds (and its even quieter in efficient mode).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #74
JamesinIT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
This really was the final missing piece for my exhaust setup, and couldn't be more pleased in the result. Every piece built towards the whole, downpipes, EL midpipe and now axle-back exhaust.

The whole octave range is shifted down, sounds much more aggressive and a deeper note throughout.

I am really impressed by this change, and also uses the OEM valve actuators so you don't loose that functionality, or have to use a new remote.

Really impressed..

FULL exhaust suite comparison, every single component, will be out next week!

I have this same box. At about 3000 miles, the tab welded between the exit tubes (where the tips come out) broke, which made a horrible sound, that I almost never could source. I ended up bending the bracket just out of the way so it doesn't vibrate and cause the horrific sound. The drivers side is still intact. I also have the non-resonated exhaust. I concur that except for that 2K rpm fart can sound, the rest sounds amazing.

You can hear the rasp sound in your video at the beginning of your 3K revs with the valves closed in your video.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #75
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

Resonated , non resonated. Same shit. All raspy
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2022, 09:07 AM   #76
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by methkingM2C View Post
Resonated , non resonated. Same shit. All raspy
Depends on what you are pairing it to in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:10 AM   #77
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Depends on what you are pairing it to in my opinion
Well said, couldn't agree more.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 10:06 AM   #78
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Got the Active EL resonated. M2C 6spd.
Installation done by Active.
Rasp is there on lift between 3 and 4K RPM
It happens with "Sound Desing" off and is worst with it on.
Rasp definitely coming from OE Box.

(Dissection not mine) someone cut the box open found the inside is lose. My guess is at certain wavelength and temp this is the culprit.

So Dinan box should arrive soon. (Thanks Mike) Will use without resonators and report back.

https://www.babybmw.net/threads/m2-c.../#post-1715542
Attached Images

Last edited by Bavaria330; 06-19-2022 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #79
NCM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M2Comp

i went with a UK brand that has a similar EL Mid pipe for the M2C, zero rasp & car sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:44 PM   #80
NCM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M2Comp

https://br-motorsport.co.uk/products...xhaust-midpipe
Appreciate 1
Kattanah136.00
      02-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #81
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCM2C View Post
Any soundclips? Seems like they fit the M2C as well?
Appreciate 0