BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Just moved to Texas. Any cool car stuff to do here?

01-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Just moved to Texas. Any cool car stuff to do here?

Hello and howdy. I just moved to north of Austin from Los Angeles. Yes, I'm one of the many that escaped hell looking for refuge in this beautiful state.
  • Besides COTA, what other tracks are out here within a 2-3 hour drive?
  • What other track event organizers are there besides Edge Addicts?
  • Any cars and coffee type events?
  • When and where do fellow M2 owners meet?

Looking forward to meeting up and driving with you guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You've got a couple tracks within your range that you could visit. Motorsports ranch (MSR) has a location in Houston as well as Cresson (near fort worth).

I haven't had the chance to visit either of those yet, although I plan to add both to my 2022 Track day list.

The only track I have been to is Eagles Canyon in Decatur (north of Dallas) and I can definitely recommend it as a track you should try to visit.

Other track organizers beyond Edge Addicts include Apex Driving Academy, Porsche and BMW Club, as well as some race orgs like NASA and SCCA.

You can find car meets like cars and coffee happening often, especially with warmer weather. Apps like Park up front are great for meets like this. Here in Dallas fellow M2 owners meet up every month or so for an ALL m2 meet, i've been to a couple and met some awesome folks.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person here so hopefully others chime in and you find more information to help you find what you are looking for.

Howdy and welcome to Texas.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition View Post
Hello and howdy. I just moved to north of Austin from Los Angeles. Yes, I'm one of the many that escaped hell looking for refuge in this beautiful state.

Hey competition - welcome to Texas! You landed in a great spot - hard to beat Austin right now. I'm in San Antonio so can't really help you with the local meets & that kind of stuff but do know a bit about the tracks here. Certainly COTA is there like you said - really fun track & definitely worth driving. Here are the others:

Harris Hill Raceway - in San Marcos a bit south of Austin. Shorter track but still a lot of fun. Definitely a "handling" track as opposed to a "power" track. For me in San Antonio this is by far my most accessible option and I do have a membership there. They resurfaced it a couple of years ago - before that it was awful. But for now it is in pretty decent shape. We actually have an open invitation to anyone that wants to join us when we head out there to get some track time. Typically have a decent size group out there & we always have a good time.

MSR Cresson - south of DFW a little bit - fun track too and they actually have a couple of different options on how they run it. They have the option to run two tracks with one being very technical or combining them into one longer track.

Eagles Canyon - outside of Decatur a bit NW of DFW - awesome track - it & COTA are the two best in TX imo. Definitely recommend trying it at least once

MSR Houston - eh, not my favorite. Flat (like the rest of Houston) & just overall really do not enjoy this track. Also I have no desire to be anywhere around the Houston area from March through November...

Chin and Edge Addicts host the most HPDE's in TX. The BMW CCA chapters here in TX have grouped up to host an HPDE in June at COTA along with Club Racing being there (ought to be a blast despite the heat). Schnellfest happens on occasion too. NASA typically hosts HPDEs during their race weekends with the bonus of being able to start the progression if you are looking to get into competition at some point (time trials, wheel to wheel).

Again welcome to TX & hope you enjoy it here!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Definitely want to join one of the Dallas M2 meets! Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbrown View Post
You've got a couple tracks within your range that you could visit. Motorsports ranch (MSR) has a location in Houston as well as Cresson (near fort worth).

I haven't had the chance to visit either of those yet, although I plan to add both to my 2022 Track day list.

The only track I have been to is Eagles Canyon in Decatur (north of Dallas) and I can definitely recommend it as a track you should try to visit.

Other track organizers beyond Edge Addicts include Apex Driving Academy, Porsche and BMW Club, as well as some race orgs like NASA and SCCA.

You can find car meets like cars and coffee happening often, especially with warmer weather. Apps like Park up front are great for meets like this. Here in Dallas fellow M2 owners meet up every month or so for an ALL m2 meet, i've been to a couple and met some awesome folks.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person here so hopefully others chime in and you find more information to help you find what you are looking for.

Howdy and welcome to Texas.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #5
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks Jason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Hey competition - welcome to Texas! You landed in a great spot - hard to beat Austin right now. I'm in San Antonio so can't really help you with the local meets & that kind of stuff but do know a bit about the tracks here. Certainly COTA is there like you said - really fun track & definitely worth driving. Here are the others:

Harris Hill Raceway - in San Marcos a bit south of Austin. Shorter track but still a lot of fun. Definitely a "handling" track as opposed to a "power" track. For me in San Antonio this is by far my most accessible option and I do have a membership there. They resurfaced it a couple of years ago - before that it was awful. But for now it is in pretty decent shape. We actually have an open invitation to anyone that wants to join us when we head out there to get some track time. Typically have a decent size group out there & we always have a good time.

MSR Cresson - south of DFW a little bit - fun track too and they actually have a couple of different options on how they run it. They have the option to run two tracks with one being very technical or combining them into one longer track.

Eagles Canyon - outside of Decatur a bit NW of DFW - awesome track - it & COTA are the two best in TX imo. Definitely recommend trying it at least once

MSR Houston - eh, not my favorite. Flat (like the rest of Houston) & just overall really do not enjoy this track. Also I have no desire to be anywhere around the Houston area from March through November...

Chin and Edge Addicts host the most HPDE's in TX. The BMW CCA chapters here in TX have grouped up to host an HPDE in June at COTA along with Club Racing being there (ought to be a blast despite the heat). Schnellfest happens on occasion too. NASA typically hosts HPDEs during their race weekends with the bonus of being able to start the progression if you are looking to get into competition at some point (time trials, wheel to wheel).

Again welcome to TX & hope you enjoy it here!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
CFO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C HS DCT Sunroof

Quote:
Definitely want to join one of the Dallas M2 meets! Thanks for the suggestions!
Welcome to Texas, Competition! Would love to have you join us for the Dallas M2 Meets! It's a bunch of laid back, nice Gents who meet once every other month. The next one is either this Sat (Feb 19) or following (Feb 26). Please see the other thread in the "USA Southwest" section for details. Looking forward to meeting you in person.
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:

You and me both brother. I also escaped hell
      11-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Welcome and congrats on making it out alive!
Appreciate 1
M2_MEDUSA664.00
      11-05-2022, 09:27 PM   #9
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Welcome and congrats on making it out alive!
hahah I appreciate it my man, now hoping i can get involved in the car scene out here, hope it's not too dead. I have to accept it will never be like California but hey, it's a trade off, no more shitty over strict car laws and don't forget.. 93 octane haha
      11-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #10
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
There's a jack shack in Dallas called the hands of China, if interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #11
WagonMaverick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

If you are North of Austin I'm thinking Leander or Cedar Park? I'm in the area and some of the best roads are in your neck of the wood. Look up Lime Creek. I'm about 10 min from there and there are always impromptu runs....stop at the Shell station (coco's) wait 10 min and guaranteed you will start meeting car club ppl. Especially on the weekends. If you want to meet up sometime let me know. I'm also doing this event with my son out a Cota if you need something do to.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ar-club-338033
Appreciate 0