BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 brake pads upgrade recommendation

01-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #23
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
Did you use old rotors with the new Hawk pads? My shop said they've had issues with properly bedding new pads on rotors that previously had a different pad compound…especially if the old pads were ceramics. Luckily moving from OEM pads to Hawks worked fine for me.

I do wonder if rotor "self-cleaning" in wet conditions, where BMWs automatically lightly touch the pads to the rotors surface to remove water, could be preventing the wet issue for me. Both of my cars have that feature I'm pretty sure.
Nope, they were brand new. It could very well be that feature prevents the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:06 PM   #24
DonPedron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m2

Found a pair of almost brand new REAR M performance sport brake pads for a steal.

What's a good pairing up front? Was thinking of going with the DS2500's
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #25
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedron View Post
Found a pair of almost brand new REAR M performance sport brake pads for a steal.

What's a good pairing up front? Was thinking of going with the DS2500's
Has anyone published the torque vs temp curve on the M Performance pads? Is this for a purely street application?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:10 PM   #26
DonPedron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Has anyone published the torque vs temp curve on the M Performance pads? Is this for a purely street application?
Street, Autocross and 1 (one) novice track day / year
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 03:14 PM   #27
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Street, Autocross and 1 (one) novice track day / year
As long as you the DS2500 torque vs temp curve is above the M Performance you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #28
DonPedron
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
As long as you the DS2500 torque vs temp curve is above the M Performance you are good to go.
Thanks, playing it safe, ordered BMW m performance fronts as well.

HP Autosport, always helpful! I'd happily order parts from you; but shipping to Sweden would not make much sense
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #29
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, playing it safe, ordered BMW m performance fronts as well.

HP Autosport, always helpful! I'd happily order parts from you; but shipping to Sweden would not make much sense
Can't go wrong with the same compound.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:30 AM   #30
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

A question we get nearly every day is, “Which Ferodo pad compound is right for me?” After helping thousands of customers answer this question, we’ve used their feedback to create a blog post that will help you find your best Ferodo match.

Which Ferodo Pad Compound is Right for Me?

If you enjoyed this article and haven't yet seen them, please be sure to check out our related articles below. They will save you time, money, and headaches!

Essex track and racing pad owner's guide

Can I run my OEM brake pads on the track?
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #31
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

I've got an update on pad recommendations after my track braking skills improved. I wasn't seeing much wear on the HPS 5.0 pads as a novice, but as my speed built and I got more comfortable with threshold braking, I started chewing through the Hawk pads REALLY fast. I pretty much went through the Hawks in 10 sessions at Road Atlanta. Now I'm running PFC-08s on the track. Here's my comparison of the three:

PFC-08: Amazing performance on the track with no fade and minimal wear. Very sharp pedal feel. Dusts the most of any pad I've ever owned. Extremely squeaky on the track and street. I tried driving them around town for a week and couldn't stand it, especially with the windows down.

Hawk HPS 5.0: Feels better on the street than OEM, and I didn't have any issues using these as a novice on the track. Dust actually seems comparable to OEM, but it doesn't look as rusty after rain/washing. Occasional mild squealing on the street, but totally livable.

OEM: I thought these felt grabby at first, but after swapping back to OEM from my PFC-08, the OEM's feel very chill. No noise at all. For the street, I think these are great, and I'm planning to swap back and forth between my track days. Once you have a wheel off, it only takes a few minutes to swap the pads. No issues with swapping between OEM and PFC compounds.

Last edited by fleetfoot; 11-03-2022 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      11-02-2022, 02:13 PM   #32
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Just the thread I was looking for! Thanks OP! I'm looking for a brake pad that's slightly better. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
      11-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #33
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Just the thread I was looking for! Thanks OP! I'm looking for a brake pad that's slightly better. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Feel free to reach out to us if you have any specific question regarding brake pads or in the market for upgraded pads from Porterfield, Hawk, Pagid or Ferodo.
Appreciate 1
M2_MEDUSA664.00
      11-05-2022, 09:58 PM   #34
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Feel free to reach out to us if you have any specific question regarding brake pads or in the market for upgraded pads from Porterfield, Hawk, Pagid or Ferodo.
I will thanks!