BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Amazing Brake Coding Fix/Review - daap1193

12-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Amazing Brake Coding Fix/Review - daap1193

So I recently contacted daap1193 aka David about his recent findings with fixing the overboosted/overreactive brakes and I'm happy to say that he did a phenomenal job!

I had noticed this for a while on my M2C where the braking behavior was inconsistent; there would be times when transitioning off throttle and quickly applying brake where the brake was fully loaded up already and pressing <20% into the brake pedal travel would apply way more brake than was normal or typical of 20% pedal position. It wasn't the biggest priority for me at the time of noticing this but it was a behavior I did not love. I had also noticed this inconsistent behavior on the road course the first week owning my M2C. The car always stopped or slowed but the inconsistent feel was annoying to say the least as I did not know how the behavior was calibrated or how to repeat it consistently.

Fast forward to learning more about it from daap1193 and feedback from others who had him do the coding on his brakes and I wish I had found him sooner.

To summarize the main differences: "You will feel a harder and more consistent brake pedal feel, less ABS intervention which completely eliminates the on/off-like sensation all of this translates into better braking on track and a more race car brake feel." While I didn't necessarily notice a harder pedal...it was definitely consistent and allowed proper threshold braking to which inadvertent ABS intervention never happened. Otherwise the brakes felt absolutely perfect to me now.

David also took the time to write me a detailed paper about what the changes are...basically he modifies the "Dynamic Brake Control", "Brake stand by (EVB)" and adjustment to the brake pedal assistance function. Secondly for Non-M cars, there are a couple other functions disabled *(as they are on M cars by default)*

So at the end of the day if you don't like an over-assisted brake pedal and you want a proper/linear brake then I highly suggest you contact David daap1193. He sent me all the files I needed to download and remoted into my car. The process took about 5min and there was not a single issue. I highly recommend it for those that are looking for the benefits described above.
F87source7238.00
M2guru383.50
(K)1254.00
CSBM52716.50
daap1193172.00
///MPhatic13811.00
      12-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I second this! Wish I had done this sooner. David is a great guy!

I used to experience side to side wiggle while threshold braking and David's coding paired with m4 GTS steering helped a lot! I would guess at least 75% better than before! Along with all the added benefits commander pointed out above!

Can't say enough good about David and his brake magic!
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

So, should I refer to you both as 'fan boys', 'influencers', or?

In the meantime, hopefully you have a good Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
So I recently contacted daap1193 aka David about his recent findings with fixing the overboosted/overreactive brakes and I'm happy to say that he did a phenomenal job!

I had noticed this for a while on my M2C where the braking behavior was inconsistent; there would be times when transitioning off throttle and quickly applying brake where the brake was fully loaded up already and pressing <20% into the brake pedal travel would apply way more brake than was normal or typical of 20% pedal position. It wasn't the biggest priority for me at the time of noticing this but it was a behavior I did not love. I had also noticed this inconsistent behavior on the road course the first week owning my M2C. The car always stopped or slowed but the inconsistent feel was annoying to say the least as I did not know how the behavior was calibrated or how to repeat it consistently.

Fast forward to learning more about it from daap1193 and feedback from others who had him do the coding on his brakes and I wish I had found him sooner.

To summarize the main differences: "You will feel a harder and more consistent brake pedal feel, less ABS intervention which completely eliminates the on/off-like sensation all of this translates into better braking on track and a more race car brake feel." While I didn't necessarily notice a harder pedal...it was definitely consistent and allowed proper threshold braking to which inadvertent ABS intervention never happened. Otherwise the brakes felt absolutely perfect to me now.

David also took the time to write me a detailed paper about what the changes are...basically he modifies the "Dynamic Brake Control", "Brake stand by (EVB)" and adjustment to the brake pedal assistance function. Secondly for Non-M cars, there are a couple other functions disabled *(as they are on M cars by default)*

So at the end of the day if you don't like an over-assisted brake pedal and you want a proper/linear brake then I highly suggest you contact David daap1193. He sent me all the files I needed to download and remoted into my car. The process took about 5min and there was not a single issue. I highly recommend it for those that are looking for the benefits described above.
Good stuff!

I also believe it was disscussed here for those with esys and want to do it themselves:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781115

and on this German forum:
https://www.trackdayforum.com/index....#comment-26122

The function for the brake preloading as soon as you rapidly lift off the accelerator and responsible for the irratic braking is: C_Ffunktion_Bremsbereitschaft_aktiv_I

Deactivating this via esys should pretty much eliminate this issue. There are other things you can modify as well which is discussed in this thread.

But for those that don't have esys or don't want to tinker with it then it would be easier to contact someone who can do it like Daap.

Last edited by F87source; 12-23-2021 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post

El oh el.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:

You have a Merry Christmas as well good sir...also if you look at my post history that will help you out with whatever you want to call me.
      12-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #7
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Quote:

You have a Merry Christmas as well good sir...also if you look at my post history that will help you out with whatever you want to call me.
Same. I've been complaining about my car "squirming" under braking for a long time and have posted about it many times.

I was super thrilled when this helped like it did!
Appreciate 2
daap1193172.00
Bee Pee1774.00
      12-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

I will definitely try this! Here at our local road course, I get a typical soft but predictable pedal through most turns, but through others like turn 11 (downhill 160 degree right hander), I get this unexpected and very firm pedal, which means I end up braking way too early.

I'm running Ferodo 2500 DS pads with titanium shims, SS lines, and Castrol SRF.

Should I expect pedal feel closer to the extreme end of firmness, or somewhere in between?

Thanks!

Edit: for clarity, I've bled the system at the dealer every 6 months and replace fluid annually. It's always been like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
daap1193
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C sunset orange

Thanks Commanderwiggin for the review, it's great to see how all the time and effort invested to improve the platform was worth it. If more people it's interested don't hesitate to ask or PM for more information, for the time I'm including gts steering and diff coding at no extra cost when you get your brakes coded, this car more enjoyable on track.

Wish all forum members a happy Christmas.
Appreciate 4
TechE9219.50
Bee Pee1774.00
lzhmax28.50
      12-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I guess I'm a fan boy as well.

Just had mine done and took it for a drive around the hood. Everything felt great. My complaint about braking on the track felt inconsistent. I thought it was me but after 7 track days I realize it's not just me. Looking forward to the next event where I can test the changes out on the track.
Appreciate 2
      12-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

daap1193 Do you also do istep updating and steering, MDM, and diff coding to M2CS parameters?

My OG just has M2C coding at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #12
jnwin
M2 From Down Under
Rep
Drives: M2

Just a quick review on Daap1193's brake coding. I have been using his coding for the last 3 to 4 months and it has been pivotal in my ability to fully utilise my brakes. I run ap racing front and rear calipers. Prior to the coding, they were unpredictable and hard to modulate.

Post coding, the braking feels consistent with the same feeling everytime. I am able to modulate the pedal and enabled me to brake much later and suddenly with full confidence whereas previously I would just hit abs randomly.

Whilst it greatly helps anyone with a bbk. This coding will also benefit stock brakes once you are really pushing hard on the track. Highly recommend David to all. He has excellent customer service and is very prompt in responding. He takes his time to ensure everything is done correctly whilst also explaining it in simple terms so that I could understand what was being changed.

Would never go back to stock brake coding after this.
Appreciate 4
gphung193.50
AUSf222688.50
daap1193172.00
      02-19-2022, 10:26 PM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Does this help with the 2NH overboosted pedal in general on the street, or just in threshold braking and track use?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 11:47 PM   #14
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Does this help with the 2NH overboosted pedal in general on the street, or just in threshold braking and track use?
Definitely both
daap1193172.00
      05-08-2022, 04:39 PM   #15
daap1193
Private
Rep

Thanks to all the members for the support, now more than 100 cars coded with no other than positive reviews, last week I was working on a G20 M340ix and an G80 M3 in order to develop the coding for the newer G series platform, found out some interesting data, the new G80 M3 came from factory with the same coding I develop for the F8X, but base cars such as the G20 don`t, seems that BMW finally understood that M cars must be more analog and enjoyable, this also mean that my coding is worth a must on all M cars.
Commanderwiggin can´t demonstrate enough appreciation for your help.

Will be traveling next week to Miami if some locals are interested.
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #16
FancyBear
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C / '21 Ram 1500

Daap, can you explain more on how this works if we want to have it done? Does this need to be in person or can it be remote how the Full screen is done?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:51 PM   #17
daap1193
Private
Rep

Bmwracer58 Im trying to Dm you but your privacy settings doesn´t allow.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #18
ndyvidual
This hobby is expensive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981 S, BMW F87 M2C

Another satisfied track driver...

I had daap1193 code my M2C in December 2021 after taking ownership in April 2021. I went to a few tracks while 100% stock so I can make informed value added decisions before I made any changes to the car. Like others, I noticed a nervous and inconsistent braking experience under heavy deceleration. Particularly after VIR's long back straight...

He remote'd into my laptop and after some troubleshooting, proceeded to make the coding changes. He was very patient and thorough. Quick notes: don't use a Mac with VMWare or Bootcamp; we had problems. Windows 11 worked better.

Results: There was no change in street driving at all due to this change, so I was only able to test it this past weekend in May 2022 at Palmer Motorsport (clockwise) in Massachusetts while I shook down the car overall. With a lot of other changes made over the past Winter, I was overall impressed, but completely forgot about the brake coding! Which means it felt really good and intuitive- not a point that I needed to address.

I'm using stock rotors, race pads (front and rear) on the track. It's a highly recommended change for those really working to get the most from their braking zones.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      06-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #19
lzhmax
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Nice to know this brake inconsistency has bothered me so much, so what app or equiment do i need for this coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 01:23 AM   #20
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I always wondered about the pre-load of the brakes when coming off the throttle, nice to know there is a solution.
      06-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #21
daap1193
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzhmax View Post
Nice to know this brake inconsistency has bothered me so much, so what app or equiment do i need for this coding?
I tried to contact you but looks like your account doesn't let me send you PM
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daap1193 View Post
I tried to contact you but looks like your account doesn't let me send you PM
He only has 3 posts, he needs to post more (I think 10 posts) to enable pm'ing.