BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover Covers for winter?

11-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Coilover Covers for winter?

Hey, I tried searching about this on the F87 forums, as well as across all of bimmerpost, and the only thing I found was this:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156072

Does anyone here have coilovers installed and drive their cars in the winter time with snowy conditions with potential for salt sprinkled on the roads? I installed a set of Ohlins this summer and this will be the first year they will see winter, and I want to prevent them from seizing.

There seems to be a bit of a debate as to whether "coilover covers" are actually better or worse for your coilovers, as with them more water/elements could be trapped under the cover, potentially making matters worse. But I don't have any first hand experience and it seems that there really isn't that much info out there.

Am I overthinking this, and perhaps just need to apply some anti-seize on the threads and call it a day?

Here's an example of a cover made of neoprene:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Neoprene-Coi...5dl2-r&vxp=mtr
Attached Images

Last edited by gphung; 11-01-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Someone who made their own for their subie. Fronts didn't have covers on, rears did. These are made of a polyurethane coated nylon material.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

It depends on what the damper bodies are made from. The MPS are stainless, with a plastic spring collar on the front - so a pressure washer will clean them up after a winter on the car.

The rears on the MPS aren't really coilovers - the spring is still separate - with the spring adjusters being well out of the way up against the chassis.

The Koni's I had on a previous car seized solid however.

For some bizarre reason the damping adjusters on the bottom of front MPS are made of aluminium though - which will electrolytically corrode in the presence of stainless steel...

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-11-2021 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
SteB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

www.CoiloverCovers.co.uk

You can get really good quality and very reasonably priced British made coilover covers from www.CoiloverCovers.com I've personally used them myself and they work great. iirc worldwide shipping is only £6.99 (Around $10 US)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

I dont believe that the covers will protect them well in a daily driver.
Its never 100% wateeproof. Saltwater will get into it and cant find it way out. So you have a fine salty biosphere.
I protect my coilovers with a wax for trucks and agricultur machinery:
https://www.korrosionsschutz-depot.d...rmdose-1-liter

Okay, my coilovers wont see any salt, but i also use it in our daily drivers to protect metal brake tubes, suspension and the body from rust. And its works very good.
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50