BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Possible coolant leak from oil filter housing?

02-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandh View Post
Thanks for the information, news to me..
After priming is finished, do you trust the oil level measurement in the display or do you empty the system and refilling the correct amount?

I more or less only drive on track and have experienced when the measurement shows correct level I have filled in couple of dl, and the measurement will still show the same level.
Yes you would trust the oil level sensor, priming wouldn't do anything to affect how oil level is read out.

The reason why you're not seeing a change in the oil reading after adding a but of oil is because there's a tolerance range via the iDrive display at each measurement increment. So at the max oil level it might be +/- a couple hundred mL or so just in case someone over or under fills a bit. That way it would the so sensitive to a small mistake.
      02-01-2022, 09:27 PM   #24
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yes you would trust the oil level sensor, priming wouldn't do anything to affect how oil level is read out.

The reason why you're not seeing a change in the oil reading after adding a but of oil is because there's a tolerance range via the iDrive display at each measurement increment. So at the max oil level it might be +/- a couple hundred mL or so just in case someone over or under fills a bit. That way it would the so sensitive to a small mistake.
Regardless of it being a regular oil or the full ofhg change, I have always just added the full 7 quarts and cranked twice with the injectors unplugged to prime it up. Never had a low oil message or or any reading below max on my idrive, either after the fresh oil first startup or right before the next oil change.
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtl32 View Post
Regardless of it being a regular oil or the full ofhg change, I have always just added the full 7 quarts and cranked twice with the injectors unplugged to prime it up. Never had a low oil message or or any reading below max on my idrive, either after the fresh oil first startup or right before the next oil change.
Priming is extremely ineffective unless you pull the plugs and put on a battery charger. I've seen alot of guys on Facebook do the ofhg and prime as per BMW's instructions without pulling the spark plugs and the car doesn't build enough pressure to fully soak the oil filter, and in some cases the oil filter doesn't even get wet. So imo it's really pointless to do the priming process unless you're going to pull the spark plugs (to relive compression and allow the engine to crank easier) and crank it for the 7ish cycles that's required. Otherwise it's probably not going to be effective.
rtl3273.00