BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Comparing my M2 vs my e46 M3

10-30-2023, 10:29 PM   #45
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Since I recently sold a 2002 M3 6MT coupe after 10 years of ownership and I had several months of overlap with the 2020 M2C DCT that I bought to replace it, I thought I would give my comments.

My M3 had a few modifications that made it more fun to drive than stock, including a 4.10 diff, pulleys, Eisenmann exhaust, Carbonio carbon fiber intake, PSS9 coil-overs, sway bars, CSL rotors, Red-Stuff brake pads, AutoSolutions 30% reduction shifter and CDV delete.

For me, by far the most noticeable difference between the cars is the torque of the S55 compared to the S54. Combined with the DCT, the torque of the S55 comes on explosively when you step on the gas. Not that the M3 is slow, but even with a 4.10 diff, the S54 engine takes a lot longer to make power.

The accessibility of the S55 torque is most noticeable around town. Unless you're driving hard, the M3 is sluggish compared to the M2C. It would be really interesting to experience an S54 with the DCT from the M2C. I think it would make a big difference.

This leads me to what I dislike the most about the M3, which is the transmission. Even with arguably the best aftermarket shifter that you can get and CDV delete, the 6MT is not an enjoyable transmission to drive, not even remotely.

Comparisons of steering aside, my stock M2C handles and brakes much better than my modified M3. The cars simply aren't in the same league. I think the difference of the steering is less of an issue than people make it out to be. I have never thought the M2C doesn't steer well, even though to a purist it doesn't steer as well as an E46 M3.

Obviously the S54 with the carbon fiber intake and Eisenmann exhaust sounds much better than the S55 ever will. I miss the sound of the S54, the power of the S55 more than makes up for it.

I didn't mind the interior of the M3, but I like the interior of the M2C a lot more. It's still relatively simple compared to an F80 M3, which is okay by me.

Even though the E46 M3 and F87 M2C are so close to being the same size and the F87 is as close to being a successor of the E46 M3 as BMW made, I find the M2C to be so much more enjoyable to drive that I had no reason to keep both. I find the M2C to be both a better daily driver and better when driving hard.

Last edited by bimmerdriver2; 10-31-2023 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 5
CSBM52721.00
RugbyBro7601.50
M3R12168.50
      11-01-2023, 05:36 PM   #46
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I never understood the rah rah about steering feel however I personally find that front monoballs (thrust arms) works really nicely with F8X EPS. Primary benefit is less squirm under hard brakes but the side effect is more communicative steering.

I also recently drove my buddy's E46 on track and it is anemic when it comes to power. Very much a momentum car and needs to be driven quite differently. F8X you have power everywhere, every gear - I short shift quite often around the track.
      11-03-2023, 03:35 PM   #47
Aeko
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, 01 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Since I recently sold a 2002 M3 6MT coupe after 10 years of ownership and I had several months of overlap with the 2020 M2C DCT that I bought to replace it, I thought I would give my comments.

My M3 had a few modifications that made it more fun to drive than stock, including a 4.10 diff, pulleys, Eisenmann exhaust, Carbonio carbon fiber intake, PSS9 coil-overs, sway bars, CSL rotors, Red-Stuff brake pads, AutoSolutions 30% reduction shifter and CDV delete.
I had to do a double-take because I had almost exactly the same e46 M3 build and also went to a 2020 M2C DCT! The biggest difference with my e46 was that it lacked the brake and diff upgrades, and was SMG. Otherwise same exhaust and suspension setup.

I'm curious to know if you felt the same way about the steering: My e46 M3 (and even 330ci) both had really vague on-center feel that made them both really uninspiring to drive around town and roadtrip. Even after replacing components like the steering coupler I just simply couldn't get the steering to be very sharp. The M2C has extremely precise response especially on-center even with all stock suspension and Pilot Super Sports. You do notice once you're in a turn and the suspension is loaded up that the e46 really shines. But outside of that? Meh in comparison to the M2C.

And similarly to OP on this thread, I originally drove an M4 because that's what I had my eye on, but it just didn't do it for me. It felt too much like a toy for some reason, I can't quite explain why. The F87 just feels a lot better to drive even with the lack of steering feedback from an e46 rack.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 12:55 PM   #48
Distinct
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
I just gave up my E46 M3. Scaled comparison of my two vehicles. It's so clear that the F87 M2 is the only direct descendent that BMW has made for the E46 M3.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-11-05 134654.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  327.7 KB
Appreciate 6
Davil6523.00
NWest549.50
M3R12168.50
m2ss1785.50
abowen49.50
      11-17-2023, 12:57 PM   #49
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
I had to do a double-take because I had almost exactly the same e46 M3 build and also went to a 2020 M2C DCT! The biggest difference with my e46 was that it lacked the brake and diff upgrades, and was SMG. Otherwise same exhaust and suspension setup.

I'm curious to know if you felt the same way about the steering: My e46 M3 (and even 330ci) both had really vague on-center feel that made them both really uninspiring to drive around town and roadtrip. Even after replacing components like the steering coupler I just simply couldn't get the steering to be very sharp. The M2C has extremely precise response especially on-center even with all stock suspension and Pilot Super Sports. You do notice once you're in a turn and the suspension is loaded up that the e46 really shines. But outside of that? Meh in comparison to the M2C.

And similarly to OP on this thread, I originally drove an M4 because that's what I had my eye on, but it just didn't do it for me. It felt too much like a toy for some reason, I can't quite explain why. The F87 just feels a lot better to drive even with the lack of steering feedback from an e46 rack.
I had 15 mm spacers on the front of my E46 M3. In retrospect, I liked the appearance of the spacers more than I liked what they did to the steering. They made the steering too twitchy, especially at high speeds.

I have no complaints about the steering of the M2C. I can't help but wonder if some people complain about it just because they know it's electric, not hydraulic.