BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Strange Clunking Sound when reversing OG M2

02-06-2024, 10:17 PM   #1
s2m2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Hello all,

My OG M2 6mt is currently at around 47k miles. In the past few days I’ve noticed it’s begun making this hideous clunking sound when I reverse. Sound has nothing to do with backing out straight or if i’m cranking the wheel.
View post on imgur.com

Not entirely sure what the cause is and if what I need to do. I know the m2 is known to make lots of noise while reversing but this sound has me concerned as it’s quite loud so I’d appreciate some advice.

Should note I’m in southern California where we just got a massive rain storm, so I initially thought it could be debris in the brakes, although I assume it would’ve cleared by now.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:08 PM   #2
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

If the noise just started with the recent heavy rains the area had, I would suspect a small pebble in the brakes. Although you would think it would eventually clear itself, it doesn't. Best way to check this if you can't determine which wheel is making the noise is to jack it up and spin each wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 06:11 PM   #3
s2m2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post
If the noise just started with the recent heavy rains the area had, I would suspect a small pebble in the brakes. Although you would think it would eventually clear itself, it doesn't. Best way to check this if you can't determine which wheel is making the noise is to jack it up and spin each wheel.
Gotcha, makes sense. Is it something that can cause damage? I don’t have the ability to jack the car up myself and it might be tough to get to a garage for the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:31 AM   #4
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

I had it happen once, and no damage occurred. Since it is usually a small pebble that bounced in there, it is rubbing on your brake disk, which is causing the noise. I imagine eventually, the pebble could wear down, but could possibly score the disk as well. You have some time. It is more annoying than dangerous.
Appreciate 1
s2m23.00