BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > [OG M2] Dinantronics Stage 1 Track Testing

10-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

[OG M2] Dinantronics Stage 1 Track Testing

So I've been tracking my 2018 M2 for a couple years now (43 track days) and over time added some basic bolt on mods to the engine (intercooler, 300 cell downpipe, exhaust). Car has performed well, and feel like it has just the right amount of power to have fun, run at a good pace and not get into too much trouble. But, the car always felt like it could use another 30-40hp up top and a touch more low end torque. Exiting slower corners in a manual is a trade-off choice between going down to 2nd or staying in 3rd. The latter could use just a bit more torque and things would feel just right.

But, concerns about cooling issues on track with a tune on the N55 have made me pause. I know you can add a bigger oil cooler, radiator etc - but all those also add weight on the nose and introduce additional aftermarket points of failure. Anyway, came across a used Dinantronics Stage 1 unit and it was priced low enough for me to install for an A/B test on track. If it doesn't work or I don't like it, it's an easily reversed modification. The Dinan app allows you to easily switch between stock (Bypass mode) and tune (Stage 1 tune).

On the street, drivability is similar to stock but shifts under load feel noticeably better. Especially the 3-4 shift where the stock car felt like it had a pause / flat spot. This was not at WOT so still need to test that on a track. In Stage 1, the car feels stronger in the low end and mid range and about similar to stock up top. it's not night and day, but definitely something you can feel on the old butt dyno (which we all know never lies, right).

1) I am off to Thunderhill on Wed, for 2 days there. Will play around with S1 and Bypass. Have the AIM hooked up so will get some OBD data like IATs.

2) If someone here has used this unit on track already, would love to hear your feedback and any gotchas. Thanks.

Appreciate 2
      11-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #2
pal
Captain
Rep

[OG M2] Dinantronics Stage 1 Track Testing

I have 3 track days under my belt with this "tune". Two were at Thunderhill in 95°- 99°F ambient temps and one at Portland Internaltional Raceway in 54-56°F ambient temps. Overall, the car feels as smooth as stock, but appears to have more low end and mid range pull. Top end seems pretty much similar to stock. This has made coming out of slower corners a lot more assertive, but without overwhelming the tires. My AIM's OBD2 MAP (?) data before and after points to about a 2-2.5'ish psi increase in boost. It almost feels like it's filled the pressure drop from the ER intercooler and added just a touch over stock.

IATs at Thunderhill peaked at around 134-135°F, which anecdotally, is about 8-10°F higher than a year ago in almost similar conditions. It was about 4-5°F warmer then, but it was also my first time at THill in the M2, so more assertive driving this time likely was a factor as well.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Plan to dyno it soon, so will share what it's making.
Appreciate 5
      11-14-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
pal
Captain
Rep

Put the car on a Dyno last Saturday. Needless to say, I'm pleased with the results and they are in-line with what I expected. These are SAE corrected; Uncorrected were a lot higher since it was a cool day, and STD correction fell somewhere in between SAE and Uncorrected. I've always preferred SAE corrected numbers for Dynojets as I've found them to be fairly consistent.

Engine Mods
Akra 300 cell downpipe
Akra cat back exhaust
ER intercooler and charge pipe
Dinantronics Stage 1

Last edited by pal; 11-20-2022 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Hey pal,

Unrelated, but curious on your thoughts.

I have been looking into getting an IC for the OG M2 just to help with the heat (and hopefully make a bit more power on a stock tune). Saw that you had the Evolution Racewerks IC and wanted to get your help with the following:

1) Did you notice any increase/decrease in throttle response once you swapped over to the ER IC?

2) Don't know if you dyno'd the car afterwards, but did you see any HP/Torque improvements on a stock tune?

3) Would you say the ER IC was worth it? I know the install is a lot more complicated given you have to take off the bumper and some braces I believe (I'm using my local shop, so will likely have a larger labor bill), but do you think it was worth it/benefited the overall setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varooshgog View Post
1) Did you notice any increase/decrease in throttle response once you swapped over to the ER IC?

2) Don't know if you dyno'd the car afterwards, but did you see any HP/Torque improvements on a stock tune?

3) Would you say the ER IC was worth it?
1) Yes, the throttle felt a little "softer" after the IC install. This is expected with larger intercoolers on stock tune due to the pressure drop as air travels and needs to "fill" a larger core. I had the same experience when I went to a Forge Race IC on my Audi TT RS. .

2) I did not dyno the car after just the ER IC. However, at my home track with a long front straight (WOT 3rd, 4th and part of 5th) my top speed did not change. I don't believe there was any net increase in horsepower compared to stock, in conditions where stock was adeqautely doing its job.

3) To me, absolutely. I installed it before a June track day in California when weather was expected to be 95-105 degrees F, and it was. The ER kept IATs in check and the car made power all weekend without issues. I also like the ER as its a bit lighter than the large stepped units, it has a bigger front face, and it leave a bit more room between the I/C and the radiator area. That being said, my buddies running stepped CSF units are also doing just fine on track.
Appreciate 2