BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Considering an M2/3/4 for the next car

04-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
Rausky
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, Huracan

Considering an M2/3/4 for the next car

Hello all,

I'm looking at my first BMW and M car for the next ride. I just sold my RS7 which I loved but want something that is more track focused. I use to track my C63 AMG which was an awful track car but a lot of fun, but I'd like something more serious, which led me to M2/3/4.

This car would also be a daily for a little bit, maybe a year or so, before I'd do any major track mods like roll cage, weight reduction, major suspension, etc.

In the used market right now the M2 is pretty similarly priced to the M3/4, so my major question is, is it better than the M3/4 for a track car out of the box? I know the M2 is a lot harsher but I don't really mind that, I daily drove an AMG GTS before the RS7 which set the bar for rough ride, but my point is that if I'm just a person who goes to the track once a month, is the M3/M4 going to be too fast for a beginner driver and would an M2 be better suited?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4031.00
      04-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

It really depends on the type of track you are going to be using the car on? For smaller technical tracks the M2 shines because it is more nimble and has better turn in in my experience. If you will be tracking on courses with longer straights, the M3/4 will have a clear advantage with power. That being said if you are talking about an M2 Comp then it can hang with the M3/4 on pretty much any course...however will sound like a bag of wet dog farts

https://www.motortrend.com/news/vide...e-m4-on-track/

Last edited by Slowphiveo; 04-06-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Since you are going to daily the car for a year or so, I'd vote M2. I think it's way more fun zipping around town in that thing than a 3/4...just like on a more technical track, it's more nimble and better suited for that type of driving imo.

That said, I'm completely and totally biased
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
GiacomoH
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Get an e30 or Miata if you dont know what youre doing
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Can't go wrong with either choice. M2 definitely feels more intimate and lively.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I faced the same question when I moved to Germany for a 3 year assignment at the end of 2018. I arrived at the M2 as well for its dual duty capability, and have not been disappointed. I do 4 or 5 track days per year.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Rausky
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I faced the same question when I moved to Germany for a 3 year assignment at the end of 2018. I arrived at the M2 as well for its dual duty capability, and have not been disappointed. I do 4 or 5 track days per year.
This sounds about what I'm looking at. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Dunno if you're looking at used cars or new, but you'll probably want the Competition version of either car for the extra cooling, not that the non-comp cars aren't capable, just more that its nice to have that extra safety net if you plan on using it on a track. An M3/M4 Comp would be much cheaper than an M2 Comp if you're looking at used stuff (because M2 Comps are much newer, 2019 and 2020 only so far.)

M2 - Pros: Sounds best, lightest modern M car, short wheelbase makes it feel a little more agile. Cons: Older engine with less power potential (N55, 370ish hp)

M3/M4 Pros: Powerful engine (420ish hp) more stable handling, nicer interior and more comfortable than an M2. Cons: Longer wheelbase feels more stable/less agile, engine sounds bad (S55.) Note: Competition versions have the same engine with a bit more power and more cooling.

M2 Competition: Pros: Powerful engine (400ish hp), nimble and agile thanks to the shorter wheelbase, the cooling package from the M3/M4 competition. Cons: Sounds bad (S55) not as comfortable as an M3/M4, very small used market if you're going that route.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
cptobvious2531.50
      04-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I had an m3 prior to M2 (n55). I daily my cars 40 miles per day. Also autocross and occasional track.
I’ve gone down the path of modifying just because I love to tinker on my cars and improve them.
In my opinion the M2 really is sweet spot for daily driver depreciation cost and decent all around performance over m3. And is way more fun at autocross.
Out of all my modifications I’ve been most happy with, two stand out: dedicated rims/tires for track performance and then the tc Kline suspension/camber plates for added performance and added comfort (light spring set). The rest of the mods are good but not as memorable As those two. Maybe bm3 also just for customizable burbles and such. Performance wise m2c, race rims/tires and tc Kline coils would be pretty sweet to beat on as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
I had an m3 prior to M2 (n55). I daily my cars 40 miles per day. Also autocross and occasional track.
I’ve gone down the path of modifying just because I love to tinker on my cars and improve them.
In my opinion the M2 really is sweet spot for daily driver depreciation cost and decent all around performance over m3. And is way more fun at autocross.
Out of all my modifications I’ve been most happy with, two stand out: dedicated rims/tires for track performance and then the tc Kline suspension/camber plates for added performance and added comfort (light spring set). The rest of the mods are good but not as memorable As those two. Maybe bm3 also just for customizable burbles and such. Performance wise m2c, race rims/tires and tc Kline coils would be pretty sweet to beat on as a daily.
Can you elaborate on the softer springs/suspension? I heard a guy from Dinan one time say the first thing they do to M cars is soften the suspension. "You want the tires touching the road" he said.
      04-07-2020, 11:14 PM   #11
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
I've gone down the path of modifying just because I love to tinker on my cars and improve them.
Out of all my modifications I've been most happy with, two stand out: dedicated rims/tires for track performance and then the tc Kline suspension/camber plates for added performance and added comfort (light spring set). The rest of the mods are good but not as memorable As those two. Maybe bm3 also just for customizable burbles and such. Performance wise m2c, race rims/tires and tc Kline coils would be pretty sweet to beat on as a daily.
Can you elaborate on the softer springs/suspension? I heard a guy from Dinan one time say the first thing they do to M cars is soften the suspension. "You want the tires touching the road" he said.
I don't get this...it shouldn't be an issue on a track or highway where the surface is smooth and flat.

Around town where you'd encounter potholes, bumps, and other major road imperfections, you wouldn't/shouldn't be driving in a manner that would cause your tires to "hop" off the pavement anyway.

So I'm not clear what circumstances Dinan is trying to solve for
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:38 AM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

If you are tracking an n55 m2 you're going to want a better intercooler. M2c, m3, m4 won't pull power from heat so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:43 AM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Dunno if you're looking at used cars or new, but you'll probably want the Competition version of either car for the extra cooling, not that the non-comp cars aren't capable, just more that its nice to have that extra safety net if you plan on using it on a track. An M3/M4 Comp would be much cheaper than an M2 Comp if you're looking at used stuff (because M2 Comps are much newer, 2019 and 2020 only so far.)

M2 - Pros: Sounds best, lightest modern M car, short wheelbase makes it feel a little more agile. Cons: Older engine with less power potential (N55, 370ish hp)

M3/M4 Pros: Powerful engine (420ish hp) more stable handling, nicer interior and more comfortable than an M2. Cons: Longer wheelbase feels more stable/less agile, engine sounds bad (S55.) Note: Competition versions have the same engine with a bit more power and more cooling.

M2 Competition: Pros: Powerful engine (400ish hp), nimble and agile thanks to the shorter wheelbase, the cooling package from the M3/M4 competition. Cons: Sounds bad (S55) not as comfortable as an M3/M4, very small used market if you're going that route.
m3/4c doesn't have my cooling than base.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Might get shot down for this suggestion, and I am a BMWfanboy but are the 4 seats needed?

If not I noticed the Supra has just had much better finance support (here in the UK at least) this Qtr. Nice option B58 etc etc. More akin to the M2 of course and the 2 series trick in general is the packaging is great for its size and retaining genuinely usable rear seats.