BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Turner Motorsport Carbon Intake?

04-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #23
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i thought the bottleneck to our cars was the turbo inlet size not the intake size?
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #24
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i thought the bottleneck to our cars was the turbo inlet size not the intake size?
That's correct. Intakes on these cars are for sound only. The stock air box supplies more than adequate flow.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      04-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #25
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
To be accurate, pipe diameter is one thing, and filter flow is another. With these aftermarket filters, open box, etc. you're trading off filtering ability for more flow through the filter. Or trading a dry filter for an oiled filter, which some people say fouls up the MAF sensor, while others don't.

I figured with all this time on my hands I might as well make my car sound and look bit different I will be installing a turbo inlet pipe in the future as well, so it's worthwhile to me to remove any restrictions anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #26
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Quote:
To be accurate, pipe diameter is one thing, and filter flow is another. With these aftermarket filters, open box, etc. you're trading off filtering ability for more flow through the filter. Or trading a dry filter for an oiled filter, which some people say fouls up the MAF sensor, while others don't.

I figured with all this time on my hands I might as well make my car sound and look bit different I will be installing a turbo inlet pipe in the future as well, so it's worthwhile to me to remove any restrictions anyways.
yeah im still on the fence whether to go pure or bigboost...i think the stock system is fine for stock turbo
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #27
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeah im still on the fence whether to go pure or bigboost...i think the stock system is fine for stock turbo
Yes, I think only if you plan to go bigger turbo then the inlet pipe will be quite restricting. Stock turbo may see minimal gains.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #28
rccar
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 LBB

Hey guys,

I have the Turner Carbon Intake as well, i ordered it black friday and it took almost 3 full months to arrive.. I called a bunch of times and they kept telling me I was at the beginning of the list to be sent out so that was frustrating....

But now that I have had it installed for 2 months now, I can confirm there is a bottle cap sound and it's SO LOUD.. At first, I wasn't sure if this was normal and at the time there were no posts about it so I called.. AGAIN.. and they said they had it on their shop car and didn't have that issue and no one had complained about it, so I'm glad to hear it's a common thing.

For a cheaper price i could have bought the Dinan, but I didn't want to cut the brace and the open filter looked cool. But for a daily driving car, this whistling sound is not for me... I can hear it consistently even with cruise control on, over my music sometimes since it's so high pitched. Thinking about selling it and going Dinan.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      04-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #29
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar View Post
Hey guys,

I have the Turner Carbon Intake as well, i ordered it black friday and it took almost 3 full months to arrive.. I called a bunch of times and they kept telling me I was at the beginning of the list to be sent out so that was frustrating....

But now that I have had it installed for 2 months now, I can confirm there is a bottle cap sound and it's SO LOUD.. At first, I wasn't sure if this was normal and at the time there were no posts about it so I called.. AGAIN.. and they said they had it on their shop car and didn't have that issue and no one had complained about it, so I'm glad to hear it's a common thing.

For a cheaper price i could have bought the Dinan, but I didn't want to cut the brace and the open filter looked cool. But for a daily driving car, this whistling sound is not for me... I can hear it consistently even with cruise control on, over my music sometimes since it's so high pitched. Thinking about selling it and going Dinan.
FYI, I went through the same thing and ended up settling with Dinan. The cutting of the brace is a non-issue. You can buy a brand new OEM brace for cheap (can't remember the price but $30 or something). The cut took 10 seconds. FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #30
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,

my buddy had the same whistle sound with his afe intake on his m235i...it sounded cool in the upper rpm but it was annoying at the daily driving rpms 1-3k. he ended up just going back to stock
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      04-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Yea I'm living with the bottle top noise for now as I've gotten used to it but we'll see how I feel when I'm driving back and forth to work again every day (WFH at the moment)
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #32
rccar
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Yea I'm living with the bottle top noise for now as I've gotten used to it but we'll see how I feel when I'm driving back and forth to work again every day (WFH at the moment)
Yeah, I’ve pretty much gotten used to it as well... but I’m driving 15-20 min one way to work everyday. The noise at 50%+ throttle is worth it but I’m not sure if daily I can take this annoyance... and there’s probably no gain at all on stock turbo even tuned with JB4.

I wonder where the noise is coming from.. I didn’t have this noise on my n55 335i e92 with bms intake and my brother’s 435i also had the bms intake. Must be something M2 related.

Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #33
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Yeah, I’ve pretty much gotten used to it as well... but I’m driving 15-20 min one way to work everyday. The noise at 50%+ throttle is worth it but I’m not sure if daily I can take this annoyance... and there’s probably no gain at all on stock turbo even tuned with JB4.

I wonder where the noise is coming from.. I didn’t have this noise on my n55 335i e92 with bms intake and my brother’s 435i also had the bms intake. Must be something M2 related.

Anyone have any ideas?
I agree, when I had the BMS open intakes on my F80 I never heard this sound, either. I wonder if it has anything to do with the carbon fiber intake tube being thinner and causing some sort of resonance... not 100% sure tho. The Eventuri CF intake for the M2 makes a similar noise.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #34
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:

Anyone have any ideas?
I agree, when I had the BMS open intakes on my F80 I never heard this sound, either. I wonder if it has anything to do with the carbon fiber intake tube being thinner and causing some sort of resonance... not 100% sure tho. The Eventuri CF intake for the M2 makes a similar noise.
its probably the shape of the filter..my buddies afe made a hissing/whistle sound at low speeds
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:36 AM   #35
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Just installed it today. I had an extremely hard time getting the intake pipe to fit in to the OEM pipe (with the clamp) since the angle the pipe went in was very constrained, as you had to put the filter-end of the pipe through the hole where the filter is first. After I applied a very light coat of silicone grease to the clamp area, it finally popped in.

Additionally, the vacuum hose adapter seems much closer to the engine than the OEM adapter is, thus placing a large amount of stress on the adapter due to the extremely stiff vacuum pipe. A few minutes after I installed the vacuum pipe, the vacuum adapter broke right off with a big cracking sound

Luckily, it just seemed that the bond between the adapter and the carbon fiber was not sufficient, as there was extremely little epoxy/glue in that area. I sanded it down and applied a ton of JB weld, let it cure for 24 hours and put it back on, this time it did not break. I also put some aluminum foil between the vacuum T-pipe section and another plastic section to push the vacuum hose further back into the engine bay, thus relieving some of the stress on the vacuum adapter. Hopefully it won't crack this time, and I'll think of a more permanent solution later.

Regarding the whistling sound, I only hear it when I'm at partial to high load around 1700-2100 RPMs, otherwise I do not hear it at all. When my music is on, I don't hear whistle at any RPM.

Overall, it looks great, but it was definitely not very plug and play for me.

I detailed my install (or rather, my struggle) here:

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by eeyang92; 04-09-2020 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 4
nioh_lbbm21716.50
JTO245246.50
TemjinX2520.50
BLOJOE78.50
      04-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #36
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Just installed mine too and loving the sound and look! I can concur with others that there is a "blowing over an empty 2Litre soda bottle" noise at 50% load at around 2k RPM (I had the aFe open intake on my M235i years ago and made no such noise). It doesn't bother me enough (had to live with exhaust drone last two years from my other car so this isn't so bad) and music usually masks it anyways.

Install was easy, and fits just right and tight. The vacuum line did take some adjusting to get it to fit right on the intake without putting any stress on it. Happy with product.

Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      04-16-2020, 04:28 AM   #37
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know the cleaning procedure for these filters? Or rather, what filter comes with the intake? Unfortunately I'm not at my car to check the logo on the filter itself.

The closest visual match I've found online is the aFe filter: https://afepower.com/afe-power-24-40...-5r-air-filter (also listed on turner's store: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-340581-tms340581/)

That would mean this would be the correct kit: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...oiled-filters/

EDIT:

Got confirmation from turner that is indeed the correct kit.

Last edited by eeyang92; 04-16-2020 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
StarMan351.50
      04-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #38
rccar
Registered
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, I wonder what you guys are doing differently that you aren't hearing the sound as much as i am. on the lightest of throttle i hear it, at any RPM. I accelerate lightly and shift at 1.8k. Maybe i'll take it apart and mess around with my install. I know that when I installed it, i put my hand inside the carbon tube and cut my hand up with all the sharp edge inside. I originally had thought that could cause the whistling.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #39
fivepointnine
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

My wife drives our M2 with this intake about 60 miles a day to work and back, she loves the sound. We also have the Dinan resonator delete, which was way more of a PITA to install than this intake was. We love it and had zero issues.

The noise is not bad at all, I’ve heard intakes that were way louder. I have an integrated engineering carbon intake on my S3 and am quite disappointed with how quiet it is.

I think we would have been highly disappointed with the dinan intake as I feel it would have been too quiet
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #40
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder what you guys are doing differently that you aren't hearing the sound as much as i am. on the lightest of throttle i hear it, at any RPM. I accelerate lightly and shift at 1.8k. Maybe i'll take it apart and mess around with my install. I know that when I installed it, i put my hand inside the carbon tube and cut my hand up with all the sharp edge inside. I originally had thought that could cause the whistling.
For me the engine sound + exhaust cover the whistling sound at above 3k RPM, so perhaps your exhaust setup is different?

My thinking is it's either the vacuum attachment point being right off the main tube (kind of like blowing across the top of a bottle), or as you said, imperfections on the inside causing some sound.

If you do fiddle around with it, let us know While I don't spend much time at 2k RPM, it would be nice if it was 100% gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #41
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
That's just the way it sounds. I fiddled with mine and the same sound at lower RPMs always. Hated it. Higher RPMs sounded good but the reality is you hear that whistle around town and the neighborhood which was a buzz kill for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #42
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know the cleaning procedure for these filters? Or rather, what filter comes with the intake? Unfortunately I'm not at my car to check the logo on the filter itself.

The closest visual match I've found online is the aFe filter: https://afepower.com/afe-power-24-40...-5r-air-filter (also listed on turner's store: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-340581-tms340581/)

That would mean this would be the correct kit: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...oiled-filters/

EDIT:

Got confirmation from turner that is indeed the correct kit.
When you say correct kit, I assume you mean the cleaning kit.
Did you ask\or know if the aFe filter is the correct replacement?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #43
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
When you say correct kit, I assume you mean the cleaning kit.
Did you ask\or know if the aFe filter is the correct replacement?
I cannot check my car until the end of this weekend, but given that they recommend the aFe cleaning kit and visually the aFe filter looks identical to the one that comes with the intake, I would say yes.

I will look at the logo on my filter to confirm it is indeed the aFe filter, but I think it's pretty safe to say it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #44
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cannot check my car until the end of this weekend, but given that they recommend the aFe cleaning kit and visually the aFe filter looks identical to the one that comes with the intake, I would say yes.

I will look at the logo on my filter to confirm it is indeed the aFe filter, but I think it's pretty safe to say it is.
I called just to verify, I think the filter is indeed made by aFe but the filter is def. branded to Turner Motorsport

Part#: 024146TMS01
Site: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...intake-filter/
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50