BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 - Slight vibration/coarse feeling - Normal?

01-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Bootmod3 - Slight vibration/coarse feeling - Normal?

Hi,

I've been running Bootmod3 for some months now, first in Stage 1 (91 & 93) and now Stage 2 (93). On all the tunes, there is a slight vibration or coarsness to the engine. Slightly difficult to explain, but it can definitely be felt through the pedals. This happens all the time, even on low load/rpm (e.g. when crusing) and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car.

I have done logs and there is no knocking that could be causing this.

Whilst on Stage 1, I thought it might be the spark plugs (as they were coming up for replacement). I had those with those replaced and the car was running without this slight vibration driving home from the dealer, but as soon as I re-tuned the car it came back. Last night I dropped back to Stock (from Stage 2) and again, the slight vibration disappeared immediately.

I have seen another post on the F30 forum talking about this, but not seen anything here.

Is this normal? Safe for the engine longer term?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

No additional vibes from my car's N55 on BM3 Stg 2 93 OTS.

What hardware have you upgraded on yours ?
      01-10-2020, 03:29 AM   #3
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
No additional vibes from my car's N55 on BM3 Stg 2 93 OTS.

What hardware have you upgraded on yours ?
Hi.

I'm running an akrapovic dp and do88 ic. Although the vibration was happening on stage 1 too (with no hardware mods).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:38 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

WT,

Have you tried resetting adaptions then seeing if the coarseness is still there ?

Can you feel it thru all 3 pedals ?

BP
      01-10-2020, 03:52 AM   #5
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
WT,

Have you tried resetting adaptions then seeing if the coarseness is still there ?

Can you feel it thru all 3 pedals ?

BP
Good shout - I'll reset the adaptations.

Yeah, it's probably felt mostly through the pedals, but can also be heard slightly as a change in pitch of the engine (perhaps of the tappets?? ) . I had a tuned subaru which felt very similar in the past.

I guess it's probably due to more aggressive timing, but I don't understand why it would be identical for stage 1 and stage 2 if that were the case.

I'll report it to bootmod3 support and see what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Hi,

I've been running Bootmod3 for some months now, first in Stage 1 (91 & 93) and now Stage 2 (93). On all the tunes, there is a slight vibration or coarsness to the engine. Slightly difficult to explain, but it can definitely be felt through the pedals. This happens all the time, even on low load/rpm (e.g. when crusing) and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car.

Whilst on Stage 1, I thought it might be the spark plugs (as they were coming up for replacement). I had those with those replaced and the car was running without this slight vibration driving home from the dealer, but as soon as I re-tuned the car it came back. Last night I dropped back to Stock (from Stage 2) and again, the slight vibration disappeared immediately.

I have seen another post on the F30 forum talking about this, but not seen anything here.

Cheers.
My car vibrates more when in Sport+ when at idle. I assume it has something to do with more aggressive cooling profile? Anyway maybe on BM3 you have selected their new extra cooling option or something?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep
Drives: F33/15

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers.
Hi widetyres,

I've been experiencing the same. Vibration/Jerking at low throttle up 2.5K RPM (All driving modes) on F33 (BM3 EWG-stage 1/91) and it disappears when reverting to stock map. Coils are good and i recently replaced the spark plugs.no misfires, Vacuum leaks, codes. MAF and MAP sensors are clean. PTF suggesting to replace the coils which seems not required.

any updates from your side ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz992 View Post
Hi widetyres,

I've been experiencing the same. Vibration/Jerking at low throttle up 2.5K RPM (All driving modes) on F33 (BM3 EWG-stage 1/91) and it disappears when reverting to stock map. Coils are good and i recently replaced the spark plugs.no misfires, Vacuum leaks, codes. MAF and MAP sensors are clean. PTF suggesting to replace the coils which seems not required.

any updates from your side ?
Not really. I have recently been running a Stage 2 93 test map for PTF (to test something else) and I reckon the engine felt smoother on the previous Stage 2 91 map, but again nothing in the logs that can be seen. Also, PTF have been reviewing the logs in detail and nothing was raised as a concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
Wiz992
Private
Oman
Rep
Drives: F33/15

Quote:
Not really. I have recently been running a Stage 2 93 test map for PTF (to test something else) and I reckon the engine felt smoother on the previous Stage 2 91 map, but again nothing in the logs that can be seen. Also, PTF have been reviewing the logs in detail and nothing was raised as a concern.
Exactly like my situation. Did you do the following ?
-Test ignition coils resistance ? Sometimes bad ignition coils will perform bad on
higher boost.
-Pre and post catalytic converter readings.
-Clean MAF/MAP sensors.
-CP and O-ring
-Boost pipe
-Cold Air intake
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Hmm don't like the sound of this! Need to decide this BF BM3 or MHD. Not heard MHD users report this.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #11
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Charge pipe changed I assume?
Appreciate 0